Andrei Markov tribute thread - officially not back

JoeLassister

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Slavin is a good hockey player

Fun fact, he played hockey in the same hockey association where my son is currently playing. Pretty sure he's the only NHLer to come out of Hyland Hills (Westminster, CO).

Thank you for your time and service General. I will miss you in the lineup but only hope your future in the KHL is enjoyable. One of my favourite players of the modern era. Sad to see you go but am happy it is to the KHL and not another NHL team. You will always be a Hab and a true Montreal citizen! Hope to see you back for a jersey raising ceremony in the near future! You deserve one! 

(Not getting into the doom and gloom BS here. thread is titled tribute, not woe is me, shaking my head. so some class fellow posters)

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Why not? Absoluty nothing points to Chicago having a better D core then us. They just lost there glue guy and are pretty much 2 deep in seabrook and Keith.... Washington? Winnipeg? 

Dont get me wrong as historically the habs have had an atrocious record the last 10 years with marky out of the line up. But the sky has not fallen quite yet. 

Still think dumping ping plex and shaw gives us the cap space needed. To sign. Its Markov and a Centre!

Keith is better than Weber.

Seabrook is better than Alzner

Right there, when they have you beat on the two best guys on the roster.... they likely have you beat as a core.  But lets look deeper

Petry is better than Murphy, but this doesn't make up for losing on the first two. 

Schlemko vs Kempny is a wash. 

We've got an edge with Jamie Benn vs Rozisval. 

Rutta vs Jerabek is a wash.

So we have two defenceman better, they have 2 defenceman better.  When their two are the top 2 who play the most minutes, but our wins are a 2nd pair guy and a 3rd pair guy, i'll take the Hawks. 

Winnipeg has Byfuglien, Myers, Trouba, Enstrom as their top 4, plus Josh Morrisey.  Thats better than the Habs. 

We beat them on Byfuglien vs Weber

They beat us on the next 4 guys. 

Myers > Alzener

Trouba > Petry

Enstrom > Schlemko

Morrisey > Benn

Washington, same thing... we beat them at #1, and then they beat us at 2, 3, 4, 5, 

18 hours ago, illWill said:

The entire defense plus depth has to be looked at rather than just a few players in order to properly compare. 

yes and Carolina's depth blows us out of the water. 

Again... we have a better number 1 dman.... I'd take their 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, all over our 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.... 

18 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yeah I don't give two bits who a team has to replace their #6 defenceman. Also Montreal's defensive prospect depth is weak. 

Exactly.  It would be good if Schlemko is the #5 and Benn the #6.  

Move everyone up a slot Alzner #2 instead of 3, Petry 3 instead of 4, Schlemko 4 instead of 5, and the Habs look weaker. 

Missing the guy at the #2 spot means everyone plays one slot out of position. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

yes and Carolina's depth blows us out of the water. 

Again... we have a better number 1 dman.... I'd take their 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, all over our 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.... 

And in another year or two, there #1 will probably be better than ours.

I agree with the notion our D currently sits somewhere in the 14th - 18th position league wide, and if not for the fact we have one of the top 10 Dmen in the league on it, likely much worse than that.

it is futile to argue this point, without Markov we fall out of the top 10, it just can't be any clearer than that.

I hate this move. No way should we have let Markov go. I get that Markov wanted a 2 year deal and Bergevin wanted him to sing for one, but without Markov our defense is not any better than last year. It's not like we didn't have any money to sign Markov! Now we have 8 or 9 million$ under the cap and we can't do nothing with it!

Bad decision bergevin!

Thank you Andrei for the 16 seasons you gave to the organization! One of the best d-men who ever played for the Habs!

• Upvote 1

How about we look at this from a different view and see how it feels? Let's say that Markov had decided to retire at the end of the season, would that feel better? It is basically what he has done, so stop whining and move on.

As for what to do with 8mill in cap space, that is a no brainer. What until trade deadline and use it on rentals, Pleks and pick to NYI for Taveres at deadline seems possible. You kind of need that cap space if you plan on doing any deadline purchases.

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

How about we look at this from a different view and see how it feels? Let's say that Markov had decided to retire at the end of the season, would that feel better? It is basically what he has done, so stop whining and move on.

As for what to do with 8mill in cap space, that is a no brainer. What until trade deadline and use it on rentals, Pleks and pick to NYI for Taveres at deadline seems possible. You kind of need that cap space if you plan on doing any deadline purchases.

$2m caproom would be fine at deadline.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Plek and pick for Tavares? Give your head a shake man 

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

8.5 million in cap space at the deadline is worth 36 million in full season deals.  No one needs that kind of space.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

8.5 million in cap space at the deadline is worth 36 million in full season deals.  No one needs that kind of space.

Bergevin is going to make a move. He has to 

Just now, Dalhabs said:

Maybe Molson is broke. 

Molson are moving their factory. They've been in the same historic building for 231 years now and it was announced early July that they chose to move to a new location instead of investing money in the actual building.

Now,  I'm not sure that both budgets are related though.

On 03/08/2017 at 5:13 PM, Stogey24 said:

Plek and pick for Tavares? Give your head a shake man 

Trade deadline deals have not been bringing in much lately and that is what I am basing it on. Last few years nobody overpaid for rentals and that is all he would be. A signed Taveres is worth a fortune, a pending UFA not so much. So no, not shaking my head

the Habs are the third highest revenue generating club in the NHL... when the Can Dollar is high, they are second.  There is no issue with having the money to spend to the cap... they have spent to the cap every year. 

• 3 weeks later...

My brain can process the two images on the right just a little bit quicker than those on the left.