Andrei Markov tribute thread - officially not back

JoeLassister

1 minute ago, DON said:

Yes, especially given % of cap already committed to backend and need for more skill and offense up front is much more important or glaring need.

But, will miss his smarts on the ice and his non-cliché no BS answers to idiot press guys lame questions.

However, Markov is slow and not getting any quicker and even Savard let #19 walk when he refused to match McNall's offer, so shite happens even if fans want a guy to complete his career with Habs...Robinson now sees it as a big regret chasing the $$ and Markov may look back and feel the same.

And all Robinson did in LAK was be a Norris finalist.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

O Ya? Where's this young talent coming from 

Well we don't have any so it will have to come from another team or maybe the khl. Not being the GM I have no idea where it comes from, that is why I hope Mark down Mark has a plan.

Remember when Plex got a two year extension for AAV of $6M, only to see a precipitous decline in year 1 of that extension? Maybe Bergevin is a bit gun shy at extending offers to  older players? Could he have possibly learned?

He should have played his entire career as a Habs.

Bergevin either has to replace Markov with the dwindling assets the Habs currently have, or not replace Markov. Either way, the team/organization gets worse. I don't see how this decision can be defended.

52 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

Markov going home to play. I wonder if that's so he can play for his country in the Olympics.

yes, likely a bit of bonus for him.

38 minutes ago, habs rule said:

But for how much?

Who cares...same as Radulov. Bergy screwed up again in the eyes of many, no matter if makes any sense or not.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DON said:

Who cares...same as Radulov. Bergy screwed up again in the eyes of many, no matter if makes any sense or not.

Resigning Markov for one year makes no sense?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

He should have played his entire career as a Habs.

Bergevin either has to replace Markov with the dwindling assets the Habs currently have, or not replace Markov. Either way, the team/organization gets worse. I don't see how this decision can be defended.

Don't worry, the losing streak the team is on...oh wait, the season dosent start for 2 months. No matter, continue with the sky is falling theme, is quite amusing.:popcorn:

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Don't worry, the losing streak the team is on...oh wait, the season dosent start for 2 months. No matter, continue with the sky is falling theme, is quite amusing.:popcorn:

So your response to me talking about the Habs bad offseason is to tell me it's the offseason...?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Nobody said the sky is falling, there's no need to be passive aggressive when losing Markov is a clear loss to our blue line. Especially in terms of offense

This is a serious question and not meant to be snarky; are there any moves or non-moves of MB's that you haven't been happy with?

Blind faith and blind hate are equally dumb. It's objective assessment that makes sense. A one year (which Markov might have done apparently) just makes sense.

• Upvote 1

This team suddenly went from very Russian to not so much Russian. Radulov, Sergachev, Emelin and now Markov gone. 

I hate seeing Markov gone but at least we don't have to see him in another NHL Jersey. 

It will be very interesting now to see how that cap space will be used. I think the defense isn't great but it's fine as it is and if somehow an 8 million dollar center fell from the sky this team would be dangerous. 

• Upvote 3

Sad to see him gone, and I hope that his contract demands were unreasonable, because there's no other reason not to bring him back for a year (pending potential moves).

Farewell, General.

2 hours ago, huzer said:

Remember when Plex got a two year extension for AAV of $6M, only to see a precipitous decline in year 1 of that extension? Maybe Bergevin is a bit gun shy at extending offers to  older players? Could he have possibly learned?

The flaw here is that Markov was willing to sign a one-year deal. 

42 minutes ago, illWill said:

This team suddenly went from very Russian to not so much Russian. Radulov, Sergachev, Emelin and now Markov gone. 

I hate seeing Markov gone but at least we don't have to see him in another NHL Jersey. 

It will be very interesting now to see how that cap space will be used. I think the defense isn't great but it's fine as it is and if somehow an 8 million dollar center fell from the sky this team would be dangerous. 

Unfortunately my friend, the sky does little but bring annoyances such as Rain and Snow, Bergevin is going to have to work hard to make good use of his cap space, and he is going to have to work even harder to fix whatever is left of his image as a GM. The only reason to be so stingy with the cap this off-season is if you know you had a grand slam move that would require cap room to allow for it. At this point anything less than such a move would just seal the deal on this offseason as being a bust, you know me, and my history of posting here, i'm a guy who tries balance optimism and objectivity in every discussion. Bergevin has left himself no room to breathe unless he pulls off something rather brilliant with his 8+ million.

Quite frankly right now I sorta feel like Darth Vader, Force Choking Bergevin, while he frantically tries to show me his plans to build the Death Star so I can release him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Link67 said:

Quite frankly right now I sorta feel like Darth Vader, Force Choking Bergevin, while he frantically tries to show me his plans to build the Death Star so I can release him.

Good luck with that.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The flaw here is that Markov was willing to sign a one-year deal. 

I think that would of put Habs #1 in d-spending and eat up about 43% of cap on defense.

Would you rather pay him, or upgrade forward group?

I assume Bergevin is going for a forward instead?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

He says he was willing to sign for 1 year.

Bergevin is ####ing stupid. 

I'm genuinely intrigued by his comment that he would have accepted a one-year deal.  It's logical to assume that this was communicated to Bergevin so how high was the asking price?  Or was Bergevin's offer well below market value?

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

So your response to me talking about the Habs bad offseason is to tell me it's the offseason...?

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I don't see how this decision can be defended.

No, in response to this.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Nobody said the sky is falling, there's no need to be passive aggressive when losing Markov is a clear loss to our blue line. Especially in terms of offense

Seems many here are overreacting, which is par for the course.

This is a serious question and not meant to be snarky; are there any moves or non-moves of MB's that you haven't been happy with?

Who cares what I think and already answered that exact same question several times in past, but not sure what serious question you mean?

Blind faith and blind hate are equally dumb. It's objective assessment that makes sense. A one year (which Markov might have done apparently) just makes sense.

1st bit I agree with. Makes sense, in a vacuum with zero other considerations, agree sounds fine.

• Upvote 1