Andrei Markov tribute thread - officially not back

JoeLassister

So the only guy on the team capable of playing left side on the top pair is gone. That sucks. I am curious to see how this all plays out. And how the team looks on the ice. It is sad to see Markov leave. Like others have said, I always imagined him retiring as A Canadien. 

37 minutes ago, DON said:

Good luck with that.

I think that would of put Habs #1 in d-spending and eat up about 43% of cap on defense.

Would you rather pay him, or upgrade forward group?

I assume Bergevin is going for a forward instead?

I would have preferred signing Markov and upgrading our offense. The amount we've spent on defense even without Markov signed can be spun in a negative way as well and isn't necessarily a defense of why we shouldn't have signed Markov. It could be more along the lines of why did we sign (some of) those other players? This off season we lost Beaulieu, Emelin, Sergachev and now Markov. In addition, we shouldn't have to wait until our very last move to upgrade the offense. If this move allows us room to acquire two more players then it's a good thing but if all it does is allow us to sign a Jagr or Vanek up front, then it's a wash at best. We can pick the better of two evils but we did still need help both up front as well as on the back end. Our defense hasn't been an issue, but we've had Markov for the past 15 years and legitimately replaced him with no one. Unless Schlemko really is something else, Streit IS the closest thing to his replacement. Yes, we need to wait and see what happens. 

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm genuinely intrigued by his comment that he would have accepted a one-year deal.  It's logical to assume that this was communicated to Bergevin so how high was the asking price?  Or was Bergevin's offer well below market value?

Of course this is just speculation, but I think it came down to two men and their pride and by the end of it, Markov would have been the only one willing to bend and it was probably too much bending needed and he had to stick up for himself. After his comments, that's the way I view it. Nothing against Bergevin as I say it, I just think that Markov already "bent" a little in saying that he would accept a 1 year deal but then Bergevin would have been like alright but it now has to be for this x$ amount since it took so long, and we made other moves in the meantime.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how anyone can say habs fans are overreacting.

we have no transition dmen at all. Probably the slowest and worst Puck Handling score of any potential playoff team. In what world is this a situation we can win with? We have a limited window before our prospect puddle means we have to full rebuild.

10 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I have a weird feeling MB has something big he is trying to work out because why not just sign Markov for one year?

It all depended on the asking price.  Was this a case of Markov saying he'll take one year (but since it's not two, the value needs to be higher than the $6 million asking price) or was Bergevin trying to force a below-market contract?

1 hour ago, DON said:

No, in response to this.

Well as I stated in that same post, I think the cost of replacing Markov is going to really hurt a team bereft of the assets required to do it. So while it's true that Bergevin has 2 months to do something about it, I don't think anything he can do will be better than re-signing Markov (from an asset management perspective.)

24 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I have a weird feeling MB has something big he is trying to work out because why not just sign Markov for one year?

John Tavares???? Har Har Har

It would be a hell of a time to offer sheet Draisaitl

• Upvote 3

MAybe all 150LBS of Victor f'n Mete is the answer? 

No offense to victor but I love the general! Always have

with that said, i'd much rather have an 8 million dollar forward signed right now , and shaw and plex traded to gave the space to sign Markov, if that's what it to took!

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm genuinely intrigued by his comment that he would have accepted a one-year deal.  It's logical to assume that this was communicated to Bergevin so how high was the asking price?  Or was Bergevin's offer well below market value?

Or the KHL offer?

54 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Well as I stated in that same post, I think the cost of replacing Markov is going to really hurt a team bereft of the assets required to do it. So while it's true that Bergevin has 2 months to do something about it, I don't think anything he can do will be better than re-signing Markov (from an asset management perspective.)

Than signing an old timer who cant play top minutes anymore, but wants top pairing $$? You are not thinking straight, that a $6m+ forward wont upgrade the team overall. Would I love to have Markov back and finish his career as a Hab, but not at a pricy two year deal and given lack of all star talent up front gotta pick your poison.

Sweet Jesus, haven't heard anything but "Bergevin better sign a god damn top six centre or should be tarred and feathered" all off-season. So you don't think that possibly is and was the plan all along and not a declining 2nd pairing d-man, no disrespect to him intended?

Obviously no other NHL team was banging down his door to sign him, does that say anything about what he wanted or his value to GMs in the NHL? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

THIS!!! Already!!!!

Why cant they just say to the other GM "Sorry, nothing personal just smart business!" and toss out the offer sheets on some RFAs, without having no Brian Burke's freaking out to the press! (if I remember correctly with Penner?) or being too scared of retribution of offer sheets on own RFAs.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Than signing an old timer who cant play top minutes anymore, but wants top pairing $$? You are not thinking straight, that a $6m+ forward wont upgrade the team overall. Would I love to have Markov back and finish his career as a Hab, but not at a pricy two year deal and given lack of all star talent up front gotta pick your poison.

Sweet Jesus, haven't heard anything but "Bergevin better sign a god damn top six centre or should be tarred and feathered" all off-season. So you don't think that possibly is and was the plan all along and not a declining 2nd pairing d-man, no disrespect to him intended?

Obviously no other NHL team was banging down his door to sign him, does that say anything about what he wanted or his value to GMs in the NHL? 

Markov said he would have accepted a 1 year deal, and he had multiple offers from teams but couldn't see himself putting on a different NHL jersey. Both of those statements were made in his press conference this afternoon. And I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on Markov's usefulness. 36 points in 62 games... of course GMs were interested in him. He's ideally a 2nd pairing guy at his age, but I'd feel a lot better with Markov on the top pairing over Karl Alzner. I'd certainly prefer him on my first PP unit over Dave Schlemko. 

As for the general statement about using the money elsewhere, there is nobody left to spend it on. Anyone added to this team also comes with a subtraction, and assuredly a sizable one if you want to add a $6m+ forward. 

49 minutes ago, DON said:

Bit of a sad end to an outstanding NHL career.

Godspeed, General. With Saku Koivu, the finest Hab of a bleak era. In his prime, he was an underrated master.

I said in another thread that Bergevin seems to be an outlier among GMs in (apparently) not valuing transition or offence from the back end. All he wants are defensive guys who can clear the zone reliably; the vision seems to be that it's up to forwards to move the puck through the neutral zone. This is completely contrary to the direction in which the league is going, and seems positively antediluvian in its backwards-looking old-school mindset. Most Cup winners since Bobby Orr have had elite puck-moving defencemen. Either he is a bizarre reactionary or some sort of visionary genius who sees something no one else does.

I would not be surprised if he's hoarding cap room with Tavares in mind. But that brilliant plan will probably fail to pan out. Too 'tough,' just like evey other aspect of his job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bit of a sad end to an outstanding NHL career.

Godspeed, General. With Saku Koivu, the finest Hab of a bleak era. In his prime, he was an underrated master.

I said in another thread that Bergevin seems to be an outlier among GMs in (apparently) not valuing transition or offence from the back end. All he wants are defensive guys who can clear the zone reliably; the vision seems to be that it's up to forwards to move the puck through the neutral zone. This is completely contrary to the direction in which the league is going, and seems positively antediluvian in its backwards-looking old-school mindset. Most Cup winners since Bobby Orr have had elite puck-moving defencemen. Either he is a bizarre reactionary or some sort of visionary genius who sees something no one else does.

I would not be surprised if he's hoarding cap room with Tavares in mind. But that brilliant plan will probably fail to pan out. Too 'tough,' just like evey other aspect of his job.

He's looking to build a team of grunts like himself is the blue line. He was a loser as a player and is proving to be a loser as a gm.

you look at Calgary's GM who was gifted Gioridono and Brodie.  Around them he added Hamilton, harmonic and stone.  All on good contracts.  He inherited a much bigger mess.

MB started with subban, Markov, Emelin (back when Emelin was still effective), and he's turned it into Weber, alzner, petry and schlemko.  all on bad contracts.  Webers would be good if he wasn't signed until into his 40's.  alzner who has a home in Calgary wasn't even considered by the flames as a UFA, as they choose to move assets for Hamonic.

the flames despite being run by Burke are building a modern team.  MB is building the Brian Burke maple leafs.

4 hours ago, DON said:

The argument makes perfect sense in theory.

Imagine we had already signed said "top 6 center", would people still be questioning that Markov was let go? Of course not, because we wouldn't have the cap space to have signed him. When looked at this way, I don't think which event (Markov walking or signing Top 6 C) comes first matters much. 

My question is what will be said by the same people making this argument when (if) we haven't made any additional moves to acquire this top 6 center by the beginning of the season? I have to think that it's a very black and white outcome here and it really depends what he does with the cap space as well as when he uses it.

If letting Markov walk NOW gives us an impact player like Tavares THIS season, then sure it was great. If he acquires another impact forward in the offseason, it could also be beneficial to the Habs or a wash. I just don't think things work that way. If we're able as fans to summise that Bergevin may be saving cap space to make a splash, then it's hard to believe other GMs would not be aware of that as well and they're not going to just gift things to us. 

As has also been stated, the pickings are getting slimmer and to be honest when looked at that way, unlike earlier, I do believe Bergevin shouldn't have waited until last minute to address the issue that can be resolved with our remaining cap space even if it is more important than having Markov back.

7 minutes ago, bbp said:

Markov leaving and giving us an elite center won't save this dcore

A team can't realistically be expected to be stacked everywhere in a salary cap world. Adding an elite center to the existing forward group would put them among the best in the league, the goalie is arguably the best, and the defense is above average. Seems like a great team to me. Now acquiring said elite center without subtracting anything from the lineup is another topic. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DON said:

This old timer was pretty good playing over 20 minutes a game last year.  That seems like top minutes to me. 

But its ok, Don has to spin this so Bergevin looks good.  So now we are making up facts that Markov can't play anymore. 

Don will do anything, even blatantly lie about how good/bad a player is, and what he did last year just to defend Bergevin. 

59 minutes ago, illWill said:

A team can't realistically be expected to be stacked everywhere in a salary cap world. Adding an elite center to the existing forward group would put them among the best in the league, the goalie is arguably the best, and the defense is above average. Seems like a great team to me. Now acquiring said elite center without subtracting anything from the lineup is another topic. 

This defence as it stands is above average?  

No, its not. 

A team missing a top pair LHD is not above average. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This old timer was pretty good playing over 20 minutes a game last year.  That seems like top minutes to me. 

But its ok, Don has to spin this so Bergevin looks good.  So now we are making up facts that Markov can't play anymore. 

Don will do anything, even blatantly lie about how good/bad a player is, and what he did last year just to defend Bergevin. 

To start the season last year, who was the top pairing? #79 is wrong guess.

TOI/gm 24:54 three years ago, 23:50 two years ago and last year 21:50...see any trend? 

Boy, reading Markov's interview responses is painful. He loves the Habs and could not imagine playing for any other team. He wanted to return from day one and was nervous about free agency. He emphatically was willing to take a one-year deal. He was 10 games shy of 1000 and regrets that. All this expressed in tones without resentment or anger, just disappointment. 

Obviously  MB has a plan to spend that cap space in a way that will improve the team more than adding this 40-point d-man who bleeds Habs red would. Right? Obviously.

• Upvote 1