2017-18 Line-up

nihilz

This discussion in going on in multiple threads in different varieties, so I thought we could condense our sentiments.

I'll go the record by saying that Im not impressed by this roster. I have been a patient and optimistic faithful of Bergevin's. Imo no one can do a perfect job, and there are a variety of reason's to love or vehemently loathe him. But come training camp MB will be on the hot seat with me if this roster isn't at least tweaked or a substantial move isn't made. If he goes into the season with $8.5M in cap space, that thin ice. Not spending, the money that watchers put into the organization is worse than tanking imo. If tanking is frowned upon. Inability or unwillingness to spend accordingly would be suicide for Bergevin. That being said. I'm sure he knows this. I have to believe that he has his eye on a situation and feel's THAT optimistic/hungry about it. Because Bergevin not handing out contract's to guys he needs is very out of CHaracter.

Here's my Line-up as of now:                 

Pacioretty Danault Drouin

Lehkonen Galchenyuk Gallagher

Byron Plekanec Hemsky

Hudon Mitchell Shaw

Martinsen delaRose

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Weber

Benn Streit

Davidson

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nihilz said:

This discussion in going on in multiple threads in different varieties, so I thought we could condense our sentiments.

I'll go the record by saying that Im not impressed by this roster. I have been a patient and optimistic faithful of Bergevin's. Imo no one can do a perfect job, and there are a variety of reason's to love or vehemently loathe him. But come training camp MB will be on the hot seat with me if this roster isn't at least tweaked or a substantial move isn't made. If he goes into the season with $8.5M in cap space, that thin ice. Not spending, the money that watchers put into the organization is worse than tanking imo. If tanking is frowned upon. Inability or unwillingness to spend accordingly would be suicide for Bergevin. That being said. I'm sure he knows this. I have to believe that he has his eye on a situation and feel's THAT optimistic/hungry about it. Because Bergevin not handing out contract's to guys he needs is very out of CHaracter.

Here's my Line-up as of now:                 

Pacioretty Danault Drouin

Lehkonen Galchenyuk Gallagher

Byron Plekanec Hemsky

Hudon Mitchell Shaw

Martinsen delaRose

Alzner Petry

Schlemko Weber

Benn Streit

Davidson

He doesn't even have enough left to try an RFA offer sheet now for an RFA like Draisatl, having wasted money on taking flyers on Streit and Hemsky.

he needed to do 5 critical things going into this summer:

1) get a first line centre, given that he and Julien don't think galchenyuk is a viable centre.  FAIL

2) improve the offence.  Picking up Drouin, would have gone a long ways, if he was an addition over last year, but as it is, Drouin, only replaces Radulov - who he failed to resign.  Hemsky is a bum - another Semin, Kassian, Briere type gamble in hoping a washout will rediscover the fountain of youth.  To pretty much keep status quo from last year, he gave up a significant prospect and our best draft pick since galchenyuk, Subban, McDonough and Maxpac - only two of whom are still with the team. If the two remaining, one (galchenyuk), will probably be traded by next year and we probably can't afford to resign the captain.  IMO another FAIL

3) improve the defence - had he signed Markov, it would have been a marginal improvement IMO, and a substantial improvement to the Alzner fans out there.  Given that all he did was replace Markov with Alzner (Markov > Alzner), Emelin with Schlemko (schlemko>Emelin) and added a washed out Streit, while giving up the best defensive prospect they'd have seen Subban and McDonough.  IMO yet another FAIL 

4) get rid of the dead weight contracts of Emelin, pleks and IMO Shaw (i know the Brian Burke type truculence fans love Shaw).  Given that he only managed to onload Emelin and he has mismanaged the cap by paying over $10m to useless or overpaid bums and has-been like pleks, Shaw, Streit and Hemsky, he doesn't have enough to make a big move.  And he really is not sitting on $8.5m, when you consider there is no one of consequence to spend it on.  He doesn't have enough to even offer sheet some - another FAIL

5) improve the coaching staff and development of the kids, which IMO required a changes to the coaching staff - namely clueless Lefebve, and teflon Daigneult.  Needless to say, since he kept the bum hole buddies he grew up with - another FAIL

Had he offered up a pick or prospects, he could have at least salvaged the need to improve the offence by dumping salary so he could make a $10m to $10.5m offer to Draisatl, he could have at least improved the offence and filled the centremam hole.  Maybe, the oilers match, but he would have at least tried and could have tried to make it difficult for them to match.  The D would still be weak, but with a vastly improved offence, we could have legitimately played run and gone hockey and relied on Price to mask the deficiencies on the blueline.  As it is Price isn't going to be able mask a crap defence and lack of goals - at most we can only win 6 or 7 games 1-0.

so, I know I've been accused of being a pessimist, but I'm even more pessimistic this year than I was after we finished 27th and drafted galchenyuk.  That year was an obvious aberration and mismanagement by the ghost and cunneyworth selection and than cunneyworth being castrated by Molson.  This year has me having the same feeling during the ineptitude of the Houle years, where it was painful to watch a Habs game.  It's painful to see the perrenial laughing stocks of the past decade like the leafs, oilers and flames on the upswing, while we have turned into the rudderless Brian Burke leafs.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He doesn't .... Brian Burke leafs.

Ya. Fire Bergevin. I get it ole timer. Kick the dead dog!

What do your lines look like retired habs fan? Or would submitting a line-up be too unbecoming for such an astute critique? 

To me the only Brian Burke-esque action would be submitting an offer sheet. No Gms break that code and Bergevin can't really be singled out for not doing so. To me, Bergevin has made some amazing moves in regards of asset management. Except for King. But, King just didn't want to be here. He was shell shocked. Its like blaming Bergevin because Kassian crashed. Someone should have warned him about those NDG girls.

The Canadiens haven't had a 1st line center since Turgeon. Koivu could be argued for but if we're all honest with ourselves he was arguably the best 2nd line center in the league. Yes this burns everyone like post chilli burps. But how many top centers get traded? UFA are slim and 1st round draft picks haven't been the organizations strong point. It's like the Flyers and goaltending. Odds, unlucky or incompetence. Probably all three.

The Markov debacle. Is really, Markov's fault. I love him. He's my fav Habs D of all time. Which would indicate my age bracket, but I digress. He should have got his stubborn a$$ an agent. Period. He self sabotaged the whole affair. It's like when he got married, he divorced the Habs. Maybe he wants to play in the Olympics. Maybe he had enough of Montreal, the City, Cause I know I have. lmao. Regardless. Markov ran for office as an independent and tried to run game. To me, Markov, f#cked the Habs. Im sure Emelin & Radulov not being kept or protected had alot to do with it.

Again the fixation on an offersheet. And mentioning Brian Burke truculence in the same paragraph. Hemsky hasn't even played a game yet. And, yes hopefully he plays over 60 games next season. But when healthy, Hemsky is a very efficient smooth skating player. He'd skate circles around Semin. Destroy's Kassian's hockey IQ, skill level and professionalism. And still has some years left in him, unlike Briere. Simmer down.

AND! It's finally happened! They finally got Plek that Czeck winger to play with! All these years! Granted, maybe 5 season's later than we generally envisioned. Regarding Plek. Yep. He's overpaid, for last season. Maybe last season was an anomaly. Maybe not. If he's still on the roster come opening day.. Im optimistic he'll rebound and be a staunch defender no matter the case. Next season he'll be gone and his contract will go to Danault and Price. And, the Habs are down another center. But, Alas, there a plethora of projected UFA centers in 2018!

Radulov. $7.5 - 8.25M over 5 years!? How are you paying for a center? That's a heft price tag to pay for another winger. I don't think Pacioretty sign's another contract with the Canadiens. Trading for Drouin was a win now move. A 22 yr old at substantially less cost than what Radulov was demanding. Furthermore, had Bergevin traded the 9th overall pick in 2016 for Jonathan Drouin, instead of their being a name attached to it. People would be calling MB a thief. Apellez la Surete du Quebec! I'll say this for Sylvain Lefebvre. He was coaching Therrin's system. So, my hopes are that Sylvain is just a good soldier and Mike's system just stymied the pipes. And limited creativity and growth like a cancer in the organization.

Lastly, finally, it's only August.

• Upvote 1

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Hemsky

Martinsen-Shaw-McCaron

Streit-Weber

Alzner-Petry

Schlemko-Benn

Price

Montoya

My lineups change every few weeks. Dislike Danault on the top line but he did play with Pacioretty a tonne last season.

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

Ya. Fire Bergevin. I get it ole timer. Kick the dead dog!

What do your lines look like retired habs fan?

What else are you supposed to do with a dead dog?  And MB has been following the Burke model of trading away picks and prospects, or drafting and signing truculent/supposed character players and really developing nothing himself and signing old has beens.

With what we have to choose from I'd go with:

Maxpac-galchenyuk-Drouin 

lekhonan-danault-gallaghar

Byron-pleks-hudon 

shaw-mitchell-mcaarom

We may have some hope if Drouin can play centre, in which case I'd try both galchenyuk and Drouin on centre and hope the some kids surprise as top 6 wingers, coz I don't see hemsky doing squat.  At least Danault would be slotted where he belongs if by some miracle a guy like  Schrebak makes it.  On the other hand, if even Hudon can't make the jump, we are screwed in the top 6.

D choices dont matter.  No matter how you configure them, they will be a leaky faucet.  

I crack up at the old timer - retired references.  I'm a long way from retirement and picked my avatar when the Habs FINALLY retired Dryden's number.  Robinson and Dryden and Gainey should have been retired much earlier.  Had they been French, their numbers would have been retired much earlier like Lafleur.  The Habs should have retired a lot of the the numbers of Habs from the 50's, 60's and 70's dynasties MUCH earlier.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What else are you supposed to do with a dead dog?  

Maxpac-galchenyuk-Drouin 

lekhonan-danault-gallaghar

Byron-pleks-hudon 

shaw-mitchell-mcaarom

We may have some hope if Drouin can play centre, in which case I'd try both galchenyuk and Drouin on centre and hope the some kids surprise as top 6 wingers, coz I don't see hemsky doing squat.

D choices dont matter.  No matter how you configure them, they will be a leaky faucet.  

I crack up at the old timer - retired references.  I'm a long way from retirement and picked my avatar when the Habs FINALLY retired Dryden's number.  Robinson and Dryden and Gainey should have been retired much earlier.  Had they been French, their numbers would have been retired much earlier like Lafleur.  The Habs should have retired a lot of the the numbers of Habs from the 50's, 60's and 70's dynasties MUCH earlier.

I picture much older and grumpier, like you spit soup while you swear and type with ferocity.

I made a slight addition/edit to that quote from myself btw lol

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

I picture much older and grumpier, like you spit soup while you swear and type with ferocity.

I made a slight addition/edit to that quote from myself btw lol

Like I picture you as a brainless moron who is content with losing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Hike I picture you as a brainless moron who is content with losing.

Ouch. Words hurt, soupy.

• Upvote 2

I seem to be saying this a lot, but can we leave personal attacks out of these discussions?  I know it's a long summer, but c'mon guys...

• Upvote 2

I would give a shot at :

Pax - Gachenyuk - Hemsky
Lehkonen - Drouin - Gallagher

Danault - Plekanek - Byron

Hudon - McCarron/Mitchell - Shaw
Martinsen/McCarron/Mitchell/DLR

Pacioretty-Duchene-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Drouin

Hudon-Plekanec-Shaw

McCarron-Mitchell-de la Rose

Weber-Alzner

Petry-Jerkabec

Benn-Schlemko

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He doesn't even have enough left to try an RFA offer sheet now for a hug like Draisatl, having wasted money on taking flyers on Streit and Hemsky.

he needed to do 5 critical things going into this summer:

1) get a first line centre, given that he and Julien don't think galchenyuk is a viable centre.  FAIL

2) improve the offence.  Picking up Drouin, would have gone a long ways, if he was an addition over last year, but as it is, Drouin, only replaces Radulov, who he couldn't resign.  Hemsky is a bum - another Semin, Kassian, Briere type gamble hoping a washout will rediscover the fountain of youth.  To pretty much keep status quo from last year, he gave up a significant prospect and our best draft pick since galchenyuk, Subban, McDonough and Maxpac - only one two of whom are still with the team and one of those will probably be traded by next year and we probably can't afford to resign the captain.  IMO another FAIL

3) improve the defence - had he signed Markov, it would have been a marginal improvement IMO, and a substantial improvement to the Alzner fans out there.  Given that all he did was replace Markov with Alzner (Markov > Alzner), Emelin with Schlemko (schlemko>Emelin) and added a washed out Streit, while giving up the best defensive prospect they'd have seen Subban and McDonough.  IMO yet another FAIL 

4) get rid of the dead weight contracts of Emelin, pleks and IMO Shaw (i know the Brian Burke type truculence fans love Shaw).  Given that he only managed to onload Emelin and has mismanaged the cap by paying over $10m to useless or overpaid bums and has been like pleks, Shaw, Streit and Hemsky,  and really not sitting on $8.5m, with no one of consequence to spend it on, while not having enough to even offer sheet some - another FAIL

5) improve the coaching staff and development of the kids, which IMO required a changes in so,e of the coaching staff - namely clueless Lefebve, and teflon Daigneult.  Needless to say, since he kept the bum hole buddies he grew up with - another FAIL

Had he offered up a pick or prospects, he could have at least salvaged the need to improve the offence by dumping salary so he could make a $10m to $10.5m offer to Draisatl, he could have at least improved the offence and filled the centremam hole.  Maybe, the oilers match, but he would have at least tried and could have tried to make it difficult for them to match.  The D would still be weak, but with a vastly improved offence, we could have legitimately played run and gone hockey and relied on Price to mask the deficiencies on the blueline.  As it is Price isn't going to be able mask a crap defence and lack of goals - at most we can only win 6 or 7 games 1-0.

so, I know I've been accused of being a pessimist, but I'm even more pessimistic this year than I was after we finished 27th and drafted galchenyuk.  That year was an obvious aberration and mismanagement by the ghost and cunneyworth selection and than cunneyworth being castrated by Molson.  This year has me having the same feeling during the ineptitude of the Houle years, where it was painful to watch a Habs game.  It's painful to see the perrenial laughing stocks of the past decade like the leafs, oilers and flames on the upswing, while we have turned into the rudderless Brian Burke leafs.

This is an all time classic Habs29 post :lol::thumbs_up: Well said, young man.

Not to sidetrack the thread - heaven forfend - but it IS interesting to think about the mental images we have of the regulars on this site. I sort of picture Brian as a 20something with a proclivity for sober cardigans...for instance ?

• Upvote 1

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Byron - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky

De la Rose

Schlemko - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Streit/Jerabek - Benn

Davidson

At least until the other shoe drops cap space wise. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Byron - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky

De la Rose

Schlemko - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Streit/Jerabek - Benn

Davidson

At least until the other shoe drops cap space wise. 

No sandpaper at all in that top 6. And that #1C slot is a farce, as is the #1 LD slot. Incredible to think this is the best MB could do going into year 6 ?

• Upvote 1

I'd probably go with

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky

De la Rose - Shaw - Mitchell

Schlemko - Weber

Streit - Petry

Alzner - Benn

Jerabek

Price

Montoya

Pacioretty line gets toughest matchups

Young Guns line gets easier matchups

Plekanec line gets more ES time on the road

Shaw line is a big throw up your hands and don't give a care what happens (third or fourth line, $3.9M per season, Shaw contract looking good here!)

Guest Stogey24

Almost 10 million dollars tied up in two players(Shaw and Plekanec) who will combine for like 45 points. :1vomit:

32 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'd probably go with

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky

De la Rose - Shaw - Mitchell

Schlemko - Weber

Streit - Petry

Alzner - Benn

Jerabek

Price

Montoya

Pacioretty line gets toughest matchups

Young Guns line gets easier matchups

Plekanec line gets more ES time on the road

Shaw line is a big throw up your hands and don't give a care what happens (third or fourth line, $3.9M per season, Shaw contract looking good here!)

12 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Almost 10 million dollars tied up in two players(Shaw and Plekanec) who will combine for like 45 points. :1vomit:

Yeah, but didn't you know paying them $10m is much better than risking damaging relations with other GM's by giving an offer sheet to a young player who has the ability to be a PPG player for the next 7 or 8 years??  That would be unacceptable - after all, how would MB be able to look his fellow GM's in the eye. And this way we are getting two players for the same amount of money!

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not to sidetrack the thread - heaven forfend - but it IS interesting to think about the mental images we have of the regulars on this site. I sort of picture Brian as a 20something with a proclivity for sober cardigans...for instance ?

I picture you wearing cardigans and sipping expensive brandy scrolling this site from your home library. I'm sure what we imagine a person looks like is nothing like what they actually do though. Here's a pic of me doing my best Pacioretty impression:  

ZE8Wx5f.jpg

P.S   Hair may have been MS painted on

• Upvote 4

Guest Stogey24
20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but didn't you know paying them $10m is much better than risking damaging relations with other GM's by giving an offer sheet to a young player who has the ability to be a PPG player for the next 7 or 8 years??  That would be unacceptable - after all, how would MB be able to look his fellow GM's in the eye. And this way we are getting two players for the same amount of money!

I hear ya, but I don't hold it against Bergevin for not doing the whole offer sheet thing.

14 minutes ago, illWill said:

I picture you wearing cardigans and sipping expensive brandy scrolling this site from your home library. I'm sure what we imagine a person looks like is nothing like what they actually do though. Here's a pic of me doing my best Pacioretty impression:  

ZE8Wx5f.jpg

Holy crap, let's hope so! :lol:

20 minutes ago, illWill said:

ZE8Wx5f.jpg

This.  Or you are a Lego.

9 hours ago, lazy26 said:

I seem to be saying this a lot, but can we leave personal attacks out of these discussions?  I know it's a long summer, but c'mon guys...

Agreed.  Clearly, the public requests aren't getting the message through so we have to escalate to account suspensions now, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You're close on the age - I'm 30.