2017-18 Line-up

nihilz

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

You're close on the age - I'm 30.

So that means you've spent almost half your life on this site, launched in '03! Interesting enough, this site is definitely the internet site I've visited the most consistently over the past 14 years.

So, about that 17-18 lineup!

13 minutes ago, huzer said:

So that means you've spent almost half your life on this site, launched in '03! Interesting enough, this site is definitely the internet site I've visited the most consistently over the past 14 years.

So, about that 17-18 lineup!

Even closer to half when you consider all the pre-site stuff that we did back in '02.

As for the lineup, I still have some doubts that they're okay with playing Galchenyuk down the middle.  Accordingly, that would make the lineup more like this:

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Shaw - Byron

Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky

(I'm assuming they'd switch Shaw before moving Mitchell into a 3C role.)

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What else are you supposed to do with a dead dog?  And MB has been following the Burke model of trading away picks and prospects, or drafting and signing truculent/supposed character players and really developing nothing himself and signing old has beens.

With what we have to choose from I'd go with:

Maxpac-galchenyuk-Drouin 

lekhonan-danault-gallaghar

Byron-pleks-hudon 

shaw-mitchell-mcaarom

We may have some hope if Drouin can play centre, in which case I'd try both galchenyuk and Drouin on centre and hope the some kids surprise as top 6 wingers, coz I don't see hemsky doing squat.  At least Danault would be slotted where he belongs if by some miracle a guy like  Schrebak makes it.  On the other hand, if even Hudon can't make the jump, we are screwed in the top 6.

D choices dont matter.  No matter how you configure them, they will be a leaky faucet.  

I crack up at the old timer - retired references.  I'm a long way from retirement and picked my avatar when the Habs FINALLY retired Dryden's number.  Robinson and Dryden and Gainey should have been retired much earlier.  Had they been French, their numbers would have been retired much earlier like Lafleur.  The Habs should have retired a lot of the the numbers of Habs from the 50's, 60's and 70's dynasties MUCH earlier.

Whose Mcaarom?

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Even closer to half when you consider all the pre-site stuff that we did back in '02.

As for the lineup, I still have some doubts that they're okay with playing Galchenyuk down the middle.  Accordingly, that would make the lineup more like this:

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Shaw - Byron

Hudon - Mitchell - Hemsky

(I'm assuming they'd switch Shaw before moving Mitchell into a 3C role.)

I think one of Drouin of Chuck has to go in the middle.  Just too many wingers on this team. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think one of Drouin of Chuck has to go in the middle.  Just too many wingers on this team. 

Drouin is a force coming in on his off wing. I argued for awhile that both he and Galchenyuk should play center because I didn't want Danault as a top 6 center but I think Drouin should be our first line right winger.

I agree that one of he and Chucky should be center though and so that leaves Galchenyuk as my choice. dlbalr may not be too far off however because Danault and Plek were Julien's choices in the top 6 last year.

IF Plek were somehow our second line center this season I'd do...

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin

Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher

Lehkonen-Danault-Hemsky

Martinsen-Shaw-McCaron

21 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

This line will be a force and I'm excited to see it happen.

It could be. 

I feel like one of the three should go on the second line. 

I don't know what I think of a second line of (Lehkonen or Byron)  - Danault - Gallagher.  

Needs a bit more kick on that line, IMO.   I think if you put all three studs on one line, we are in danger of being a one line team. 

Also if Galchenyuk is the guy on the second line, it would allow Julien to shelter his matchups, and that could be helpful since Julien doesn't trust him defensively. 

All three go on the first PP unit.

I still think there's a trade coming and going the other way is going to be Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

to much cap space on this team, unless they give a offer sheet to a RFA.

cant see this being the team they start the season with.

1 hour ago, Habsfan1989 said:

I still think there's a trade coming and going the other way is going to be Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

to much cap space on this team, unless they give a offer sheet to a RFA.

cant see this being the team they start the season with.

You do realize that if both Gallagher and Galchenyuk go the other way, that's over 8 million in cap space.   What do you think is coming the other way that would take up a good chunk of the $16 million we would have at that point. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You do realize that if both Gallagher and Galchenyuk go the other way, that's over 8 million in cap space.   What do you think is coming the other way that would take up a good chunk of the $16 million we would have at that point. 

Tavares + Leddy

Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Shlemko, a brand new car and a bunch of 1st picks

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

They don't have to be part of the same trade. Or if they are we could get back a center and a puck moving d back for the both of them.

I think its unlikely that a GM who hasn't been able to make a deal for his centre in 6 off-seasons now will suddenly be able to make a huge trade for a centre, and another for a top pair LHD. 

I hope you are right though. 

I'd be happy with just one trade to bring in a piece we need. 

Guest Stogey24
10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think its unlikely that a GM who hasn't been able to make a deal for his centre in 6 off-seasons now will suddenly be able to make a huge trade for a centre, and another for a top pair LHD. 

I hope you are right though. 

I'd be happy with just one trade to bring in a piece we need. 

One of the pieces we need just walked out the door 

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

The pessimistic way to view this would be to ask, which team out there has an over 30, now overpaid C (not named Plekanec) that the scouts view as a top line C. Boom!

Just kidding, hopefully.

Fun with lines time...I actually think Hemsky needs to play on the top 2 lines when he's not on the IR.  I think he can still put up decent points over 82 with the right line-mates.

ES Lines:

Pacioretty-Danault-Hemsky

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Drouin

Byron-Plekanec-Gallagher

Holland-McCarron-Shaw

Alzner-Weber

Schlemko-Petry

Streit-Benn

I hate having to put Danault in the top 6 but it is what it is.  I think the 2nd line below becomes the top line at some point in the season as they gel together.  Hopefully they can find a better C to replace Danault at the deadline or next off-season (I REALLY want Tavares in a Habs uniform).  I think Plekanec still might have another decent season or two in him and could play himself back onto the top line if he's in shape and healthy.

Gallagher jumps to top line when Hemsky is inevitably out and then Shaw moves to 3rd line and Hudon gets the call.

Hudon is the first call-up from the AHL and Mitchell rides the pine.  McCarron may need to step into a 3rd line C job by next year so he needs to play in the NHL full time...IMHO.

Yes, I put Alzner with Weber so that Weber can focus on puck moving and offense more...I think he also might help to keep Weber "fresher" over the year by taking the more physical roles.

PP

Streit-Weber

Could also see Weber dropping to the 2nd line PP if they want to play a forward in that spot, balance the point shot on the 2nd PP unit, or just to keep Weber ready for some PK duty too (maybe getting Hemsky on the PP).

1 hour ago, DON said:

Out the door, with the help of a walker.:B)

pretty sad that the guy using the walker was still the 2nd most important dman on this team, what does that tell ya 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zowpeb said:

Could also see Weber dropping to the 2nd line PP if they want to play a forward in that spot, balance the point shot on the 2nd PP unit, or just to keep Weber ready for some PK duty too (maybe getting Hemsky on the PP).

:blink:

19 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

:bonk:

I'm Chicoutimi Cucumber and I endorse this message

(In all seriousness, even if it were a good idea to move Weber around like that - which it's not - the Habs are much too stodgy an organization for that sort of radical thinking. Weber will be on the first unit PP until he is no more good at it, and even then, he'll probably stay there until long past the point where he shouldn't, both because of coaching conservatism/linear thinking, and because the Habs have no one else capable of doing it, anywhere in their system).

If you are putting a forward on the point of the PP, its not Weber who is leaving. 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Weber - Drouin

Gallagher: go to the net.

Galchenyuk... Right circle one-timers from Drouin

Weber... Left circle one-timers from Drouin
Pacioretty: slot

Drouin:  Quarterback

Guest Stogey24

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If you are putting a forward on the point of the PP, its not Weber who is leaving. 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Weber - Drouin

Drouin feeding Weber the puck could be deadly