Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nihilz

2017-18 Line-up

Recommended Posts

Stogey24    223

There were rumours that Echiel wouldn't even start contract  negotiations unless Bylsma was gone. 

 

Buffalo also had one of the shittiest defense systems in the nhl last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Koivu more as GM material, actually. He has that air about him, it seems to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toronthab    268

I like the part where all you brave, brave souls step up and actually put point totals and win-losses on your prognostications. I would do that too but for two things, ignorance and cowardice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting advanced-stats analysis of Galchenyuk at EOTP, linked on HW's main page. Basically, Galy scores but also gets eaten by elite competition when it comes to controlling the play. It makes me wonder...could Bergevin's bizarre stockpiling of defensive defencemen actually be a strategic response to building around Galy as #1C? In other words, since you know you will be giving up chances with #27 playing major minutes, you compensate with a defence-oriented, shutdown blueline that helps to shelter Price against the kid's misreads and mistakes? 

 

I find this an interesting thought. We tend to assume that MB will ship Galy out at some point. But what if he's actually constructing the team with Galy in mind? Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    223

Bergevin  just signed this kid for 3 years. I find it highly unlikely he's building a team around him. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Bergevin  just signed this kid for 3 years. I find it highly unlikely he's building a team around him. 

 

 

 

Well, in three years our veteran core will mostly be over the hill anyway. So maybe by "build" we really mean, "build within the window of this core."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    223

I'd like to think your right, but the kid  was stapled to the fourth line in the most important games of year and was basically on the brink of being traded because of his play. Now we're building a team around him. I dunno man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether or not he actually beat a horse going full-throttle (which i doubt), Weber is in fact a very strong, fast skater. I remember seeing footage of him almost catching Paul Byron in a footrace. What he is not - and what will likely prove to be an increasing Achilles' Heel as he enters his career back-9 - is quick. It's quickness, nimbleness, that defencemen need down low and to fend off fleet-footed forwards.

 

Further to thinking about the upcoming season rather than horseracing, maybe the single biggest X-factor is Claude Julien. This analysis suggests that we should see both better D *and* better offence, not due to personnel changes, but rather through the installation of actual competent and effective coaching systems. https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/analysis/2017/9/4/16248222/claude-julien-coach-style-system-analysis-canadiens-bruins-stats-defence-carey-price-tuukka-rask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meller93    121

Seems like Drouin may start the season at center, and Galchenyuk at wing. Even hearing potential for Galchenyuk to start on RW, which excites me. He'll pile up 30 no trouble with his trigger on the right side.

 

potentially a 1st line of

Pacioretty - Drouin - Galchenyuk

 

Second line 

lehkonen - danault - gallagher

 

Third 

Byron - plekanec - Shaw 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    128

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Galchenyuk

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky

Hudon-McCaron-Shaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, so much for my cockamamie theory that the Habs' zero-offence blueline corps was an attempt to build a suffocating back end that could compensate for Galy's weakness at C.http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/alex-galchenyuk-wont-be-playing-centre-for-canadiens

 

This reverts me to be fuddlement at MB"s apparent disinterest in puck-moving defencemen in today's NHL. This a GM who seems to think David Schlemko is a top-pairing defenceman :wacko: Unless maybe I've got the wrong target, and it's Drouin's defensive deficiencies that the team is being built to manage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
illWill    396
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Galchenyuk

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hemsky

Hudon-McCaron-Shaw

 

I'd go with this lineup as well but I'd flip Byron and Lehkonen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    223
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, so much for my cockamamie theory that the Habs' zero-offence blueline corps was an attempt to build a suffocating back end that could compensate for Galy's weakness at C.http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/alex-galchenyuk-wont-be-playing-centre-for-canadiens

 

This reverts me to be fuddlement at MB"s apparent disinterest in puck-moving defencemen in today's NHL. This a GM who seems to think David Schlemko is a top-pairing defenceman :wacko: Unless maybe I've got the wrong target, and it's Drouin's defensive deficiencies that the team is being built to manage.

Major doubts with this d-core. I don't see how Bergevin is happy with it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaos    6

Pacioretty Danault Lehkonen

Galchenyuk Drouin Gallagher

Byron Plekanec Shaw

Matinsen Mitchell McCarron

 

Schlemko  Weber

Alzner  Petry

Benn Davidson Streit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    223

"Bergevin said possibly Galchenyuk will develop into a centre, but it's clear to him he can't handle defensive side of the position right now"

 

"I asked if Galchenyuk can learn the centre position while playing wing, Bergevin said yes. But also said it's possible he never does"

 

Thatta boy Bergevin. Way to boost the kids confidence. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2017 at 0:00 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Whether or not he actually beat a horse going full-throttle (which i doubt), Weber is in fact a very strong, fast skater. I remember seeing footage of him almost catching Paul Byron in a footrace. What he is not - and what will likely prove to be an increasing Achilles' Heel as he enters his career back-9 - is quick. It's quickness, nimbleness, that defencemen need down low and to fend off fleet-footed forwards.

 

Of course the heavier man is going to be slower off the mark than a smaller one.  Same theory with cars.  Big heavy muscle cars may have the power and top speed advantage but they'll get smoked in very short races. You can see it in the race.  Weber gets ahead first and the horse nearly catches him.  Can't change the laws of physics, you know, over coming inertia an such. He compensates down low with his reach, strength and hockey sense.  He never had quickness yet he's a top D playing this way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

 

Of course the heavier man is going to be slower off the mark than a smaller one.  Same theory with cars.  Big heavy muscle cars may have the power and top speed advantage but they'll get smoked in very short races. You can see it in the race.  Weber gets ahead first and the horse nearly catches him.  Can't change the laws of physics, you know, over coming inertia an such. He compensates down low with his reach, strength and hockey sense.  He never had quickness yet he's a top D playing this way.  

 

Indeed. But he's 32. At some point his quickness is going to diminish an extra bit and so will his defensive effectiveness. We'd better hope that happens later rather than sooner - loss of footspeed is one of those X-factors. It usually befalls players sometime in their early 30s, but sometimes it happens later, sometimes (more rarely) sooner. I get nervous about players once they hit the 32-34 age bracket. A less-quick Weber will still be a top-4 D-man for a while, but will become gradually more and more one-dimensional (big shot).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×