August 15 College Free Agents

dlbalr

Will Butcher's name has come up in a few threads so it's probably best to have a college FA one to keep the talk in one spot.  Here's a list of some of the players set to hit the market about two hours and a bit from now (there are a few others that already signed minor league deals as well):

Sam Kurker – St. Louis Blues (2nd round, 2012)
Taylor Cammarata – New York Islanders (3rd round, 2013)
Chris Calnan – Chicago Blackhawks (3rd round, 2013)
Rhett Holland – Arizona Coyotes (4th round, 2012) - Signed with HC Dynamo (Czech Extraliga)
Zach Nagelvoort – Edmonton Oilers (4th round, 2014)
Will Butcher – Colorado Avalanche (5th round, 2013) - Signed with New Jersey
Doyle Somerby – New York Islanders (5th round, 2012) - Signed with Columbus
Dominic Toninato – Toronto Maple Leafs (5th round, 2012) - Signed with Colorado
Evan Campbell – Edmonton Oilers (5th round, 2013)
Connor Clifton – Arizona Coyotes (5th round, 2013) - Signed AHL contract with Boston
Teemu Kivihalme – Nashville Predators (5th round, 2013) - Signed in Finland
Grant Besse – Anaheim Ducks (5th round, 2013)
Alex Kerfoot – New Jersey Devils (5th round, 2012) - Signed with Colorado
Ben Storm – Colorado Avalanche (6th round, 2013)
Tim Harrison – Calgary Flames (6th round, 2013)
Collin Olson – Carolina Hurricanes (6th round, 2012)
Chris Leblanc – Ottawa Senators (6th round, 2013)
Clifford Watson – San Jose Sharks (6th round, 2012)
James De Haas – Detroit Red Wings (6th round, 2012) - Signed AHL contract with Philadelphia
Blaine Byron – Pittsburgh Penguins (6th round, 2013) - Signed AHL contract with Florida with NHL out clause
Wade Murphy – Nashville Predators (7th round, 2013)
Brendan Collier – Carolina Hurricanes (7th round, 2012)
Jedd Soleway – Arizona Coyotes (7th round, 2013)
Nolan De Jong – Minnesota Wild (7th round, 2013)
Colin Sullivan – Montreal Canadiens (7th round, 2011) - Signed with Atlanta (ECHL)

Most of these players won't land contracts but I've bolded the ones that are speculated to have some interest from other teams.

From Lyle Richardson rumor bit;

THE DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan reports the Detroit Red Wings are expected to be among the suitors for former Colorado Avalanche prospect defenseman Will Butcher. The 2017 winner of the Hobey Baker Award is now an unrestricted free agent. In addition to the Wings, Kulfan reports “Pittsburgh, Chicago and Minnesota (both close to home for the Wisconsin native), Buffalo, Toronto and New Jersey have been linked to Butcher.”

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Because of the constraints on NHL entry-level contracts, money won’t play a role in where Butcher goes. He’ll likely sign with an NHL team that can provide him what Kulfan calls “immediate playing time.” He could get that from Detroit, Buffalo or New Jersey. 

19 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

If he's capable of what most are saying about him, he fits in the top 4 more than any LH shot D on this roster. 

I doubt he can play 20+minutes for any team but a crappy one who is looking to the 2018 draft more than 2018 playoffs and an 82 game season is quite a step up from short NCAA season. 

7 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

If he's capable of what most are saying about him, he fits in the top 4 more than any LH shot D on this roster.

I'm not sold on his upside.  He had a really good year but he was also older than a lot of the players in NCAA hockey.  There's some upside but I think he's more of a third pairing player at his ceiling than a top-four player.  He's a complimentary piece, not a potential core one.

The first player is off the board as Connor Clifton has signed an AHL deal with Boston.

8 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

No, he's not that. 

He's a third pairing guy.  He's got holes in his game.  I'd sign him cause he can play and he's a free asset, but he's not a top four solution. 

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not sold on his upside.  He had a really good year but he was also older than a lot of the players in NCAA hockey.  There's some upside but I think he's more of a third pairing player at his ceiling than a top-four player.  He's a complimentary piece, not a potential core one.

The first player is off the board as Connor Clifton has signed an AHL deal with Boston.

Toninato signed with the Avs... 2 year ELC

13 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Must understand they have no chance...?

It does seem a bit odd that they haven't shown interest, maybe they're not sold on him (there are some conflicting opinions as to how much upside he has).  I wonder if they're in on Kerfoot - he's undersized as well but he's a centre and they need some prospect depth there as well.  Byron's another centre out there still as well.