Bergevin interviews and golf tournament notes

dlbalr

There weren't a whole lot of tidbits from the golf tournament today aside from Galchenyuk isn't going back to centre anytime soon but Bergevin did a couple of interviews where there were some interesting notes:

Radio: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/bergevin-we-ll-try-drouin-at-centre-1.853107  (Bergevin was surprisingly candid about talks with Markov/Radulov and talks about the defence/cap space)

TSN: http://www.tsn.ca/video/bergevin-knows-canadiens-are-judged-on-playoff-success~1205843 (I haven't seen the whole thing but Bergevin appears to be more bullish in Juulsen's readiness than most here are)

I summarized some of the more interesting notes on the site: http://www.habsworld.net/2017/09/news-and-notes-from-the-charity-golf-tournament/

• Upvote 1

I hate opening up the thread with a negative tone considering that's not usually my style but it looks like Bergevin doesn't intend to use the cap space like many argued based on that summary, unless it's for a reason that won't help the team in the short term.

I won't need to say it anymore after this but this is the least pleased I've been with an off season in some time. The Habs have a decent team but there's no doubt in my mind that we will not win a cup. Call me naive (since we never win) but this is the first season in my life I've gone into a season truly believing that reality. 

If Markov wanted 6 million for one season, give it to him. At least we would have had a chance. Offering him 5 million with bonuses is likely undervaluing him because I'm sure he wouldn't have hit every bonus within the contract and so 5 million would have been the best case scenario and likely not the actual amount.

As for the Radulov negotiations, I've long admitted that Radulov's agent seemed to be playing hardball but I'd be shocked if his agent didn't come back to him after Dallas made the "same" offer and said, well, can you beat that? As much as that's not an ideal situation for Bergevin, offer him 250k more. He would have been well worth it. Maybe he doesn't take it but in the context I've been given, it looks like Bergevin didn't even try to

negotiate and got burned by two different players in two different situations.

Obviously we could not have had both players on our team but the fact that we have neither player and Bergevin is "shocked" we have neither player on the team is a stupid reaction as a GM. One is only shocked when they didn't have their nose deep into the issue. Furthermore, he would now be willing to take on an expensive contract as long as assets come our way as well. Sounds like a great Plan "E".

The sky is not falling but this is how I feel. With that being said, my automatic NHL GameCenter renewal is about the only automatic renewal I've ever been pleased about and I'm looking forward to the preseason starting in less than a week.

19 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I hate opening up the thread with a negative tone considering that's not usually my style but it looks like Bergeron doesn't intend to use the cap space like many argued based on that summary, unless it's for a reason that won't help the team in the short term.

I won't need to say it anymore after this but this is the least please I've been with an off season in some time. The Habs have a decent team but there's no doubt in my mind that we will

not win a cup. Call me naive (since we never win) but this is the first season in my life I've gone into a season truly believing that reality. 

If Markov wanted 6 million for one season, give it to him. At least we would have had a chance. Offering him 5 million with bonuses is likely undervaluing him because I'm sure he wouldn't have hit every bonus within the contract and so 5 million would have been the best case scenario and likely not the actual amount.

As for the Radulov negotiations, I've long admitted that Radulov's agent seemed to be playing hardball but I'd be shocked if his agent didn't come back to him after Dallas made the "same" offer and said, well, can you beat that? As much as that's not an ideal situation for Bergevin, offer him 250k more. He would have been well worth it.

Obviously we could not have had both players on our team but the fact that we have neither player and Bergevin is "shocked" we have neither player on the team is a stupid reaction as a GM. One is only shocked when they didn't have their nose deep into the issue. Furthermore, he would now be willing to take on an expensive contract as long as assets come

our way as well. Sounds like a great Plan "E".

The sky is not falling but this is how I feel. With that being said, my automatic NHL GameCenter renewal is about the only automatic renewal I've ever been pleased about and I'm looking forward to the preseason starting in less

than a week.

Good post. When the team made itself almost four years older at the franchise-defining #1 defenceman position, going from a kid entering his prime to a veteran existing it, everyone, no matter what their position on the deal, agreed on one thing: it meant that the Habs were 'all in' in the immediate term. The future was now. All hands on deck. Etc..

And yet, management has not acted in this way at all. At the very least letting Markov walk suggests just the opposite. We have a patchwork D with David frigging Schlemko pencilled in as a top-pairing guy. Our most proven top-6 C is Philip frigging Danault. We're counting on Ales frigging Hemsky to give our FW a boost. If anything,  management's message is less that The Future is Now than that this is one of the younger teams in the league - a classic trope to shift fan expectations towards the future rather than the immediate present.

Barring some bold future move that deploys that cap space in a transformative way, it's hard to look at this group and see what the plan is for winning a Cup. Is the idea that Galy and Drouin will really hit their stride in 2-3 years, while Patches, Price, and Weber still have gas in the tank? Is that it? Is the assumption - all too tempting for fans and probably management too - that those three will not decline until their late 30s, just as everyone assumed that Plekanec would keep right on rolling?

Or - and this is what I'm afraid of - is management simply improvising, fundamentally content to make the playoffs and make profits year after year, happy to ice a 'good team' and hope for the best as long as its jobs are safe? As with the Leafs of the 1990s, this mentality all too easily indexes itself to an exaggerated belief in the organization's talent level, a belief that 'we can contend' when anyone with eyes can see that that is hokum. 'We just need to get on a roll in the playoffs and anything can happen.' Not the mentality of a champion.

Guest Stogey24

The bright side is that at deadline time this team Will have over 30 million to spend. There could be a nice little selection to choose from too.

The downside to that is we're basically losing a couple second round picks and potentially a first to land anything of substance. 

The thing about this team is we have no depth when it comes to star players or younger guys.  If we lose Price, Weber, drouin, pacioretty or Gallagher for a long period of time we are done for. Or if anyone of these guys go cold for a long stretch of time we are done for. The difference between cup teams and us is the depth in which roll players and younger players step up when star players go down or go cold. We have never had that here and that's why every year we have those stretches were we lose and can't score or do anything right. It always comes when our star players go cold or when we lose a star player. Our roll guys and/or our younger guys aren't good enough to play bigger rolls.

38 minutes ago, Habsfan1989 said:

The thing about this team is we have no depth when it comes to star players or younger guys.  If we lose Price, Weber, drouin, pacioretty or Gallagher for a long period of time we are done for. Or if anyone of these guys go cold for a long stretch of time we are done for. The difference between cup teams and us is the depth in which roll players and younger players step up when star players go down or go cold. We have never had that here and that's why every year we have those stretches were we lose and can't score or do anything right. It always comes when our star players go cold or when we lose a star player. Our roll guys and/or our younger guys aren't good enough to play bigger rolls.

That's one reason why I found last playoff so dismaying. We were 100% healthy. That's not likely to happen again. We also got a decent matchup in that the Rags were a good, not a great, team, and one we'd beaten with some regularity. And we still couldn't do squat. Has the team addressed its issues as a result? Nope.

I read posts and feel like we're talking about the early 2000s version of the Habs.

I still think (I'm loathe to bring it up) the 76-6 trade was not about "win now". That's why I didn't buy into the hype last season that the Habs were in win-now at all costs mode. Should they be? Sure, but I still don't think that the addition via subtraction trade was a move made to be an impactful roster move. Moving on...

I loved Radulov. I don't think this is where Bergevin screwed the pooch. If you believe that adding Weber MEANT that management was win-now, then letting Radulov and Markov walk goes against this expectations. I think Radu simply fished for the best financial situation for himself, and playing with higher quality top liners doesn't hurt, either. Markov stings. I thought he'd be back.

Salary cap. Not much out there, eh? It doesn't seem like there's much on the scrap heap to add to the roster. What I hope doesn't happen is some form of Galchenyuk/Duchene (insert whatever other pieces) to end up with a 1-2 of Drouin/Duchene, and a 1-2 RW of Gallagher-Hemsky. I'm guessing from the comments that Chucky is slated for a top 6 RW role. Maybe Sakic is looking to bring in Chucky for a reunion with Yakupov. Ha. I'm thinking the team is set on top 9 LW with Patches/Lehkonen/Byron. I could see Bergevin hanging his hat on Scherbak making the team in training camp and trading Chucky because of it, thinking that Scherbak+Duchene is better than Chucky. Sigh. Just spitballin' here.

All in all, nothing exciting to report. The Habs have cap space, nothing readily available to fill it with, had clunky negotiations with two of their own FAs, acquired Drouin, and kicked Chucky again before the season by saying he'll never be a center, just as they did last year. If I'm Chucky, I'm nearly as annoyed about the yearly beat down about not being good enough as a C as Duchene would be in CO about, well, I dunno how mgmt kicks him every year, other than dangling him for trade bait.

Overall, they've gone sidewise on offense with no real improvement there and backwards on D, while hoping that young bottom 6 and lower tier D make the roster. Wee. Yet somehow, I'm still excited for the season.

With the amount of cap space that we have, one has to think that MB is holding cards up his sleeve for a big move. The bad thing is that it will probably have to wait until this year's deadline or next summer. 

Patience will be key here.

Also, we didn't really offer Radu the same contract. We can't compete with Dallas as they have 0% personal income tax. On this same note, Junior Trudeau (f*tard) may have made this situation worse with the coming changes to small business tax rules.

15 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

With the amount of cap space that we have, one has to think that MB is holding cards up his sleeve for a big move. The bad thing is that it will probably have to wait until this year's deadline or next summer. 

Patience will be key here.

Also, we didn't really offer Radu the same contract. We can't compete with Dallas as they have 0% personal income tax. On this same note, Junior Trudeau (f*tard) may have made this situation worse with the coming changes to small business tax rules.

In order to pull off a trade for a top line star you need to give up a top prospect, and top young roster player and picks. As I see it we only have picks to give up and a roster player (Gallagher and/or galchenyuk). We don't have any prospects that teams would line up to try and get. I don't see MD as a up grade over galchenyuk to be honest. The difference is MD has more games played.

Again, I think the Radulov negotiations were difficult. However, the tax issue is one that could be brought up for any player. How do we have anyone playing for our team? The circumstances were different but one season before Radulov was the hottest commodity to an extent and the Habs managed to be the team to sign him. There were different avenues in terms of how we could have coaxed Radulov to want to play for us and those who mention the tax issue are simply finding a reason that it couldn't have worked. Perhaps it actually is true but soon we'll find that to be the reason amongst fans for every player who decides not to sign with us.

In October and November Bergevin stated that it was "too early" to know if the Radulov we were seeing was the real Radulov. While I can understand how we shouldn't get too excited after a month of success, just like the Habs often start hot themselves, it wouldn't have been hard to imagine that Radulov could be one of the better offensive players on our team. With Bergevin's statement, he basically closed the door on any potential contract extension during the actual season itself when we may have had the upper hand compared to other teams. When you have an offensive player on your team and you need offense, you should be holding the advantage when compared with other teams. Not only that, you should be thinking about keeping them on your team. 

If the grand plan was to save the cap space for another offensive dynamo then sure, we shouldn't waste the cap space but as it stands now, we didn't save it for anything whatsoever. That we didn't even sign Markov afterward, brings me back to this topic.  Otherwise Radulov would admittedly be a non topic. Saying that Radulov also seeked talent to play alongside offensive minded players on a Dallas squad, well, tell that to Drouin and Pacioretty and what might have been a 1st line combo of Pacioretty-Drouin-Radulov. Boom, we would have had a better squad than last season just with that.

That to me is just part of where things went wrong. It didn't have to be Radulov but we had options to acquire players without losing any assets in return, and now we have none.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure if mentioned, but Pierre Labrun said he was told that Bergevin was f'in pissed at Radulov taking Dallas offer.

I'd be pissed too if I was negotiating with someone who stood firm on wanting an 8 year deal for months and then accepted an identical 5 year deal that I already had on the table. 

Now that I think about it, I am pissed. 

36 minutes ago, illWill said:

I'd be pissed too if I was negotiating with someone who stood firm on wanting an 8 year deal for months and then accepted an identical 5 year deal that I already had on the table. 

Now that I think about it, I am pissed. 

Well, Dallas offering the same deal = Dallas offering quite a bit more money, due to the tax situation. Also, Dallas (at least in theory) affords him the chance to play with an actual legitimate top-6 C, which may or may not be relevant.

Basically Radu followed the money. But if MB doesn't understand the difference between a deal from Dallas and the same deal from Montreal, then he's out of it.

Anyway, Radu doesn't matter to me one way or the other. What matters is that in terms of the structure of the organization, we had to trade away our best prospect in order to 'stand still' at FW (assuming that Radu and Drouin are roughly comparable in terms of impact). Depleting the system for the sake of lateral movement on a team that is not a top-tier contender...that sucks, man.

Guest Stogey24
55 minutes ago, DON said:

Not sure if mentioned, but Pierre Labrun said he was told that Bergevin was f'in pissed at Radulov taking Dallas offer.

I heard he was happy :blink:

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, Dallas offering the same deal = Dallas offering quite a bit more money, due to the tax situation. Also, Dallas (at least in theory) affords him the chance to play with an actual legitimate top-6 C, which may or may not be relevant.

Basically Radu followed the money. But if MB doesn't understand the difference between a deal from Dallas and the same deal from Montreal, then he's out of it.

Anyway, Radu doesn't matter to me one way or the other. What matters is that in terms of the structure of the organization, we had to trade away our best prospect in order to 'stand still' at FW (assuming that Radu and Drouin are roughly comparable in terms of impact). Depleting the system for the sake of lateral movement on a team that is not a top-tier contender...that sucks, man.

So you acknowledge the he is at a disadvantage signing players because of the tax situation. So Montreal basically has to pay more for the same player in a cap world. Not much he can do there, but an opportunity to slag him presented itself so you took it. 

And for the millionth time, he didn't trade his best prospect to "stand still", he did it to bolster the offense which everyone begged him to do. And then Radulov burned the Habs 

You bemoan him for "aging the core" with the Weber trade but yet do the same when he doesn't sign a 31 year old Radulov to a 5 year deal. 

We get it, you dislike him. 

56 minutes ago, illWill said:

So you acknowledge the he is at a disadvantage signing players because of the tax situation. So Montreal basically has to pay more for the same player in a cap world. Not much he can do there, but an opportunity to slag him presented itself so you took it. 

And for the millionth time, he didn't trade his best prospect to "stand still", he did it to bolster the offense which everyone begged him to do. And then Radulov burned the Habs 

You bemoan him for "aging the core" with the Weber trade but yet do the same when he doesn't sign a 31 year old Radulov to a 5 year deal. 

We get it, you dislike him. 

Don't be silly. First of all, that post did not explicitly criticize MB. It simply made an observation about how the summer played out (which, by and large, was pretty sh**ty). But the larger difference is that I'm focusing on actual results, whereas you seem to think everything is just fine as long as the GM can give plausible 'reasons' for not improving the team.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't be silly. First of all, that post did not explicitly criticize MB. It simply made an observation about how the summer played out (which, by and large, was pretty sh**ty). But the larger difference is that I'm focusing on actual results, whereas you seem to think everything is just fine as long as the GM can give plausible 'reasons' for not improving the team.

There's a difference between thinking everything is fine and understanding how things played out. It's pretty easy to sit on the couch and yell about how he should or shouldn't have signed people. To me the Drouin trade was a win, he added offense to an offense-starved team. He did that while thinking that he was going to get Radulov signed as well with a very strong offer. It's not like he didn't make him an offer or low-balled him into oblivion, Radulov took the exact same deal but chose elsewhere. And yes he knows the tax situation, suggesting otherwise is "silly". Someone did the math and if I remember correctly it would be something over 7 million equivalent if he signed in Montreal after taxes.  

So let me ask you this Mr. Cucumber, would you have supported signing a 31 year old Radulov to a 5 year, 7+ million dollar contract? 

I would have signed Radulov to 5 years 7 million per because it would have given us a better shot to win the cup and not necessarily hurt us in the long run. Radulov is a first line player and will be effective for the next 5 years because his heart is in the right place. There are a lot of doubters about him but he works his butt off in a similar fashion to Jagr.

Any way you slice it, there's something to complain about. The Habs do have the tax situation and Radulov's agent did play hard ball. So despite my previous post, it is possible that the tax situation came into effect in this context. What would the good news have been? We have plenty of cap space to make up for that difference.

On the other hand, I do think the tax issue is an easy way for the fan base to come to terms with not having had a chance to acquire a player. If it is true, then it puts us into a similar boat as we are when it comes to having to sign a French speaking coach. On the other hand, Marleau went to the Leafs and there are other Californian teams who manage to have no trouble signing unrestricted free agents despite high taxes. The New York Rangers also signed Shattenkirk and Radulov signed with The HABS only one year prior and it would be silly to think he didn't get other offers as well.

The positives are that we have cap space to be in the running for any elite player who becomes available. That's a nice pill to swallow but that's defending a plan that was unintentional and it is clear that management is winging it to an extent, as CC hypothesized.

To me, Radulov is only the beginning of the debate because we then also failed to sign Markov to a deal with the remaining space. It's easy to give him the benefit of the doubt after one incident, but there seems to be a pattern.

32 minutes ago, illWill said:

There's a difference between thinking everything is fine and understanding how things played out. It's pretty easy to sit on the couch and yell about how he should or shouldn't have signed people. To me the Drouin trade was a win, he added offense to an offense-starved team. He did that while thinking that he was going to get Radulov signed as well with a very strong offer. It's not like he didn't make him an offer or low-balled him into oblivion, Radulov took the exact same deal but chose elsewhere. And yes he knows the tax situation, suggesting otherwise is "silly". Someone did the math and if I remember correctly it would be something over 7 million equivalent if he signed in Montreal after taxes.  

So let me ask you this Mr. Cucumber, would you have supported signing a 31 year old Radulov to a 5 year, 7+ million dollar contract? 

I'm not criticizing him for not signing Radulov, though, necessarily - although I think xXx makes a valid point. With Price 30 and Weber 32, there is a case to be made for going 'all in.'

Insofar as I am criticizing Bergevin at all in this context, I'm criticizing him for not making the team any obviously better this summer, in a context of five years' of more-or-less continuous failure to make the team better, and in a context within which the team is not a contender.

Indeed, if we already had a heavy-duty contender, trading a top prospect on what ultimately became a lateral move - while not ideal - would be fair ball.

It's one thing to ride out a single flatulent summer if you believe that the organization as a whole is on an upward swing. But it's very hard to see how that is the case here.

In a nutshell, I am past the point of caring what Bergevin's reasons are for his annual failure festival. "PAS D'EXCUSES" now needs to be the motto of management, and of fans towards management. Getting drawn into arguments about the rationales behind this or that specific failure is a great way to confuse the trees for the forest. Before you know it, yet another decade of Leafs-like uselesnness has gone by - all justified with impeccable managerial 'reasons.' (Pat Quinn always had well-reasoned defences of his choices while GMing the Leafs into oblivion).

(That being said, those who have done me the courtesy of reading my posts will know that I don't rule out the possibility of improvement this season from at least one X-factor, i.e., coaching. It's just possible that MT was enough of a drain on team success that we may see a spike upwards in team performance despite management's disappointing failure to improve on an already-inadequate lineup. Ya never know!)

The discrepancy in tax money was a small factor in my opinion.  The bigger factor is the lack of a quality center for Radulov to play with in Montreal.  Who in their right mind would chose to play with Pacioretty/Drouin over Benn/Seguin?  The line of Benn/Seguin/Radulov might be best in the NHL offensively.

I did some two second research after my post on whether or not there was anything on this tax situation specifically with Radulov and came across this article...

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-stars/stars/2017/07/03/stars-sign-alexander-radulov-five-year-deal-averages-625-million

I admit that it's from a Dallas centric point of view and Radulov is not going to go out there and say taxes this, taxes that but the one common theme that does come up is Radulov pointing out that the Dallas team looked to be headed into a "win-now" mentality, which was probably the same thought process which led him to the Habs only one season earlier with some recent moves the team had made.

In short, while Dallas was off signing players Iike Methot, Hanzal and Bishop in addition to Radulov, The Habs were trading away their best prospect for Drouin and offering a first come, first serve contract to either Markov or Radulov. For one, that type of mentality doesn't demonstrate any sort of commitment to Radulov and secondly it doesn't show a commitment to winning. Even if he does sign, he knew Markov wouldn't be there to help the team win.

I'm always a believer and once the puck drops I will be cheering on but I tend to feel the same way Radulov does, whether it's BS or not. This is the first season I've gone in feeling that way but am willing to change my thought process once we make a move or two as one would hope we do.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not criticizing him for not signing Radulov, though, necessarily - although I think xXx makes a valid point. With Price 30 and Weber 32, there is a case to be made for going 'all in.'

It's one thing to ride out a single flatulent summer if you believe that the organization as a whole is on an upward swing. But it's very hard to see how that is the case here.

It's just possible that MT was enough of a drain on team success that we may see a spike upwards in team performance despite management's disappointing failure to improve on an already-inadequate lineup. Ya never know!)

Pacioretty (29) - Drouin (22) - Galchenyuk (23)

Lehkonen (22) - Danault (24) - Gallagher (25)

No hope for the future? No improvement this upcoming season? 

One of the reasons I am optimistic is that the top 6 have yet to hit their prime except for Pacioretty. The defense and goalies are older but those positions take longer to develop and I'd much rather have experience back there than inexperience.

49 minutes ago, illWill said:

Pacioretty (29) - Drouin (22) - Galchenyuk (23)

Lehkonen (22) - Danault (24) - Gallagher (25)

No hope for the future? No improvement this upcoming season? 

One of the reasons I am optimistic is that the top 6 have yet to hit their prime except for Pacioretty. The defense and goalies are older but those positions take longer to develop and I'd much rather have experience back there than inexperience. So I don't really get this whole " go all in or we are screwed" mentality. Price and Weber are thoroughbreds and I'm not too worried about their performance for the next 4-5 years.  

The one thing that most people will agree on when it comes to the Habs next season is that there are a tonne of question marks surrounding the team. As a result, it's difficult to predict how things will pan out. The one constant is Carey Price. We could discuss being an optimist or pessimist but is a team full of question marks a good place for a professional team to be? Of course experts are often wrong in their preseason predictions but I think the Habs should have more of a stable base beneath their feet to stand on. Had we signed Markov or Radulov, the painted portrait of where we are headed would be a lot more descriptive.

Danault and Lehkonen had relatively strong seasons last year and what happens if one or both of them possibly regress in a sophomore type fashion? We can't afford that. My opinion is that at least one of them are not top 6 players on many of the better teams. 

Another question mark is our top pairing left defenseman. This is another hole which could have been filled by either Markov in the short term or Sergachev in the long term. Sergachev is certainly more of a question mark himself than Drouin but he sure did blast a nice goal from the left PoiNt just yesterday. 

The point isn't necessarily only about an all in mentality, the point is that coming from a very patient person, we clearly had the opportunity to ice a better team than we currently have. It's not a what if scenario. The Radulov signing on its own is certainly a what if but signing Markov could have been done and it would have improved our team over where it stands now. As much as we can pluck somebody up this season I have a hard time imagining that in a one season window, they would be more effective to our team and/or have more of an impact on our team than Markov would have had. After Radulov scored 7 points in 6 playoff games last season, the same could be said for him. Acquiring an elite player is now going to cost us not only their salary, but any piece(s) we have to send back as well.

We genuinely have less of a chance of winning the cup without either one of those two players on our team and we could have with 100% certainty had at least one of those players. That's the mentality I cannot gel with. We didn't have to blow our team up in any shape way or form to resign one of the two, or even someone else who was available.

I agree that just like most years, we will make some moves this season and many will be ready to say, look there, I told you so, but make no mistake in thinking that we wouldn't have also been able to make some bold moves to improve our squad within the season even if we had done more this off season to improve our team to an even greater extent than we did.