Habs announce training camp roster

dlbalr

We're one step closer to actual game action as the Habs announced their 61-player training camp roster: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/61-players-to-attend-the-montreal-canadiens-training-camp/c-291039368

The non-affiliated invites:

Goalie

Antoine Samuel (ATO)

Defence

William Corrin (ECHL contract)

Eric Gelinas (PTO)

Stefan Leblanc (AHL contract)
Saverio Posa (PTO)

Forwards

Jordan Boucher (PTO)

David Broll (AHL contract)

Kevin Dufour (ECHL contract)

Thomas Ebbing (AHL/ECHL contract)

Maxime Fortier (ATO)

Alexandre Goulet (ATO)

James McEwan (ATO)

Niki Petti (AHL contract)

Yannick Veilleux (AHL/ECHL contract)

All players on tryout deals are eligible to play in the minors and it's clear that they're auditioning to fill some of the final spots in Laval.

Martin Reway is on the invite list but is listed as injured.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Did Reway not get rocked in second game of rookie tournament 

He's been listed as "injured" since the beginning of rookie camp. I think it's just an acknowledgement that he's still in recovery.

I personally think there's a chance he makes it considering he has to go through waivers. He's been with the club more than Hudon and they might be battling it out at left wing. At worst, he'll fill in come injuries. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Benn and Weber first pair. 

Bergevin said in an interview that these two would probably be a pair this year. 

Mete is also paired with Weber at times apparently.  While he's not making the team, it'll be interesting to see what type of look they give him.

Today's groups:

DJxT6APVYAEKrHH.jpg

Lines/pairings for today per John Lu:

Group A

Galchenyuk - Danault - Gallagher

Byron - Mitchell - Shaw

de la Rose - McCarron - Reway

Gregoire - Audette - Froese

Broll - Petti - Veilleux

Alzner - Petry

Schlemko - Juulsen

Jerabek - Redmond

Parisi/Gelinas/Lernout

Group B

Pacioretty - Drouin - Hemsky

Hudon - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Martinsen/Ebbing - Holland - Scherbek

Carr - Waked/Eisenschmid - Terry

Mete - Weber

Streit - Benn

Morrow - Davidson

Bourque/Taormina/Leblanc

Guest Stogey24

Does Taormina have any shot at this team? I checked his stats out for last year. I didnt realize he tore up the Ahl and was almost a point per game in 22 playoff games 

Lehkonen on right wing and Galchenyuk on left wing seems interesting based on what we've heard.

Carr also lower on he depth chart than Hudson and Martinsen based on these very early lineups  so that probably doesn't bode well for his chances.

I had the same thoughts about Taormina but Brian will tell you himself that he won't be making the NHL squad.

If you want to have a chance at making this team on defense, it seems the best bet is to lower your jersey number.

25 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Does Taormina have any shot at this team? I checked his stats out for last year. I didnt realize he tore up the Ahl and was almost a point per game in 22 playoff games 

I think it's telling that he didn't even get a chance in the NHL last year despite his production.  He's a very good offensive producer but his defensive zone play leaves a lot to be desired.  He's a great option in Laval and gives them a real threat from the point that they've been lacking but I think it'd take a few injuries before he'd get a look.

27 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I had the same thoughts about Taormina but Brian will tell you himself that he won't be making the NHL squad.

Unrelated to this but check your PM regarding the hockey pool when you get a moment.

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's telling that he didn't even get a chance in the NHL last year despite his production.  He's a very good offensive producer but his defensive zone play leaves a lot to be desired.  He's a great option in Laval and gives them a real threat from the point that they've been lacking but I think it'd take a few injuries before he'd get a look.

So strange how a player can do that well in the AHL, yet completely struggle in the nhl 

Just now, Stogey24 said:

So strange how a player can do that well in the AHL, yet completely struggle in the nhl 

There are a handful of d-men like that, elite at the AHL level and can't hack it in the NHL.  T.J. Brennan also comes to mind.  They have one high-end skill that they can exploit to succeed in the minors but get exploited for a lack of an all-around game when they move up.  It's similar to some of the smallish forwards that are top line guys in the minors but aren't quite good enough offensively in the NHL to hold down a top-six role and have no two-way game to keep them in the lineup in a lesser spot.

Looks like all the preseason games will be on RDS outside of September 23rd against Ottawa which will be on RDS 2.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Mete is also paired with Weber at times apparently.  While he's not making the team, it'll be interesting to see what type of look they give him.

Today's groups:

DJxT6APVYAEKrHH.jpg

Ah Team C, the "Hey thanks for coming out, enjoy the poutine" squad.