Habs announce training camp roster

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

I can't believe Mccarron isn't brining more. His role is to bring the mean. He's done absolutely none of that. 

Sherbak is looking more and more like a bust. 

TSN 690 crew laid into this prospect pool. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I can't believe Mccarron isn't brining more. His role is to bring the mean. He's done absolutely none of that. 

Sherbak is looking more and more like a bust. 

TSN 690 crew laid into this prospect pool. 

Looks like a Rocket line #1, with McCarron-Carr-Audette playing together.

Just gotta hope Scherbak & McCarron can get off to a productive start in AHL and chance for injury call up will allow them to try and prove themselves later into season.

Guest Stogey24

It's just annoying Mccarron isn't doing everything he can to make this team. 

Julien loves hard nose players, why not get in his good books right off the start 

Can probably expect some guys on waivers tomorrow too. Claude Julien was reportedly less than pleased with the players after tonight's effort.

Also, with Lernout cut that pretty much assures that Benn is playing on the right side instead of the left - unless a trade or waiver claim happens.

39 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Can probably expect some guys on waivers tomorrow too. Claude Julien was reportedly less than pleased with the players after tonight's effort.

I don't think we'll see too many on waivers.  Taormina is likely but the fact they've placed Froese as much as they have suggests they're giving him a long look.  Maybe Terry as well.  I don't think they'll cut bait with guys like Morrow just yet though.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Was it only a year or two ago that people were pointing to Scherbak as the Great Hope - ?

Two years ago some had high hopes for him, but I think we can all safely write him off at this point.  If only we'd been able to pick one position earlier in that first round, when the Bruins snagged David Pastrnak!

14 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Two years ago some had high hopes for him, but I think we can all safely write him off at this point.  If only we'd been able to pick one position earlier in that first round, when the Bruins snagged David Pastrnak!

Don't worry...management would either have picked someone else, or f**ked up Pasternak's development ;)

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

I don't think we're close to being at a spot where it's time to write him off.  I've said this a bunch of times before but remember, he went to the AHL a year early so his development curve is going to be a different one than for a lot of players.  Most players his age have just finished their first pro season and aren't pushing for full-time NHL duty yet so why should that be the expectation for Scherbak?  He's only 21; there's still a lot of time for development (and he still has two more waiver exempt years).  Yes, his two games in training camp were underwhelming and his inconsistency is frustrating but there is still time to turn it around.  He's a project (something I've emphasized since he was drafted - he's a longer-term development player than most) but he showed enough last season to suggest that there's still top-six upside.

So my mid-camp speculation is:

Those top 4 forward lines are about as close to opening day lineup as you'll get, and (depth at centre aside) that's a 1st line, two 2nd lines, and a 3rd line. 
Unless I missed a Martinson injury, it appears he's locked in to the pressbox forward spot, or they forgot to put him on waivers today.

Carr, JDLR, and McCarron are on the "last chance to show us what you've got" line. 

The Habs really want to showcase Mete as a top prospect, but he's probably just a placeholder until Schlemko is healthy.

Jerabek is starting the season in the AHL unless Streit and Morrow actually manage to play worse than they currently are. 

Gelinas only gets a contract offer if one of Morrow or Taormina are claimed (or a trade happens).

33 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

That probably explains why McCarron wasn't cut, since he's certainly not still there on merit. 

Now here is a moment - a very brief moment, a mere twinge - when I regret not watching preseason hockey. Is McCarron's problwm what I suspect it is, i.e., foot-speed? Or is he just not thinking the game properly at the preseason-NHL pace, at least, not yet? Any thoughts?

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Now here is a moment - a very brief moment, a mere twinge - when I regret not watching preseason hockey. Is McCarron's problwm what I suspect it is, i.e., foot-speed? Or is he just not thinking the game properly at the preseason-NHL pace, at least, not yet? Any thoughts?

I won't speak to any particular skill set that he or other players may be lacking.

The main takeaway from the preseason so far is that no prospect or bubble player besides Hudon and Mete have showed up to give Bergevin and Julien a tough decision. A veteran not giving 100% in a meaningless game? Understandable. Guys like McCarron, Scherbek, and JDLR lacking effort and execution? Downright disappointing.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

So my mid-camp speculation is:

Those top 4 forward lines are about as close to opening day lineup as you'll get, and (depth at centre aside) that's a 1st line, two 2nd lines, and a 3rd line. 
Unless I missed a Martinson injury, it appears he's locked in to the pressbox forward spot, or they forgot to put him on waivers today.

Carr, JDLR, and McCarron are on the "last chance to show us what you've got" line. 

The Habs really want to showcase Mete as a top prospect, but he's probably just a placeholder until Schlemko is healthy.

Jerabek is starting the season in the AHL unless Streit and Morrow actually manage to play worse than they currently are. 

Gelinas only gets a contract offer if one of Morrow or Taormina are claimed (or a trade happens).

I was thinking lines the other day and let me see if I can remember...

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Hemsky

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Hudon-Mitchell-Shaw

Alzner-Weber

Schlemko-Petry

Streit-Benn

Price

Montoya

That's probably what I would go with at this point, though I know those won't be the lines. I get the case for having Hudon ahead of Byron, but if it doesn't work, there will be no room for him to go but down in he lineup. This way, you can have the reverse in effect. I'm also not convinced that he should be higher in the depth chart than Galchenyuk yet. Hudon has also had chemistry with Plekanec but he looks like the type of player who will have chemistry with anyone and I could see him even having decent chemistry with Mitchell.

Plekanec on the second line is also a bold statement after last year, but I think it's the right thing to do. Danault belongs on the third line even though some might argue that Plekanec does as well.I have tempered expectations but I think Plekanec will be alright this year. If not, the team will struggle.

Hemsky and Gallagher could be flipped as well, the way the preseason has went but I've always thought Plekanec and Hemsky might be a decent duo.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think it's a speed issue.  Actually, I'd suggest he's a tad quicker.  McCarron has done a good job hitting people so far.  The problem is, he isn't doing anything else.  His physicality is well-known but this is where he needs to be showing more skill and that hasn't happened.

I don't think it's speed either. I do think his stop/ start acceleration is a huge problem though. Most likely his biggest at this point. He's constantly doing fly by's to maintain speed.

the only defence I have for him is that as a #1 pick and years of training camp under his belt this yeAr maybe just maybe he should of been given some reps in the top 6 with top 6 talent.  Not because he belongs there but to at least say "hey the kid got to play with our best wingers and it just didn't work.

A) we are looking for a top 6 C

B) as a confidence boost... sometimes it's all you need.

C) give him an oppurtunity to succeed or fail... but at least give him an opportunity. 

It's preseason! 19 minutes in a preseason game between 2 legit wingers would be ideal to see what he really has to offer rather then 10 minutes with AHL wingers. Maybe that's the jolt he needs to take his game to another level!

we just watch OTT do it with there 6'6' rookie C between stone and Ryan as an example

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I don't think it's speed either. I do think his stop/ start acceleration is a huge problem though. Most likely his biggest at this point. He's constantly doing fly by's to maintain speed.

the only defence I have for him is that as a #1 pick and years of training camp under his belt this yeAr maybe just maybe he should of been given some reps in the top 6 with top 6 talent.  Not because he belongs there but to at least say "hey the kid got to play with our best wingers and it just didn't work.

A) we are looking for a top 6 C

B) as a confidence boost... sometimes it's all you need.

C) give him an oppurtunity to succeed or fail... but at least give him an opportunity. 

It's preseason! 19 minutes in a preseason game between 2 legit wingers would be ideal to see what he really has to offer rather then 10 minutes with AHL wingers. Maybe that's the jolt he needs to take his game to another level!

we just watch OTT do it with there 6'6' rookie C between stone and Ryan as an example

I've said since the day he was drafted that McCarron was a third liner at best. He's never shown the scoring prowess to be a top 6 centre at the NHL level.  The fact that he's not scoring now, after not scoring with the US NTDP, not scoring his first year in london.  Having a good half season in london, but then not scoring in oshawa, and not scoring in St. John's, and not scoring in 50 NHL games.... its not a surprise.  The kid is not a scorer.  Re-adjust your expectations to 3rd liner at best, 4th liner likely, and you'll be less disappointed in him. 

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think it's a speed issue.  Actually, I'd suggest he's a tad quicker.  McCarron has done a good job hitting people so far.  The problem is, he isn't doing anything else.  His physicality is well-known but this is where he needs to be showing more skill and that hasn't happened.

His wrist shot is powerful, but his release is slow... in that way he either doesn't get the time and space to get it off, or he isn't fooling a goalie when he does.  Watch a goalie react to Pacioretty or Galchenyuk's wrister and watch them react to McCarron, its night and day. 

His vision and playmaking and stickhandling are all nothing to write home about. 

His hands aren't as quick as a guy who bangs in a lot of rebounds or deflections. 

He's just never going to be a scorer.  That doesn't mean he can't play in the league, he might be a good bottom line guy, but he's like Freddy Gauthier in Toronto.  Not a top six talent.