Habs announce training camp roster

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I like Mccarron and I've always defended him, but he's done nothing this camp. 

He was better in past years than now... I don't get it

Add him to list of 1st round flops I suppose. He and Tinordi likely were both 'Anti-Smurf' picks that backfired.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DON said:

Add him to list of 1st round flops I suppose. He and Tinordi likely were both 'Anti-Smurf' picks that backfired.

When a pick seems to be DECLINING in his training camp performances, that's an ominous sign.

And the Habs have a loooong history of failing whenever they draft "for size."

Probably too soon to definitively declare him a "bust,"  however.

11 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Long live Mete!

I have a feeling that this guy is going to be around for a while, whether it begins this year or next.

Regardless, drafting quality in the 4th round is this hockey fans pride and joy.

The strong notices Mete is receiving are an encouraging sign that the Habs have at least one capable puck-moving D-man in the system. Expect him to wind up traded for a stat-at-home hulk :lol:

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The strong notices Mete is receiving are an encouraging sign that the Habs have at least one capable puck-moving D-man in the system. Expect him to wind up traded for a stat-at-home hulk :lol:

The crazy thing about this summer is that all 4 of the defencemen they drafted are puck movers. 

Last year... all three of the defencemen drafted were puck movers. (1 is now traded).

Either, there seems to be a disconnect between what Bergevin is doing with the NHL roster, and what the scouting staff is doing. Or they never intended to go this low on puckmovers.  Most of Bergevins early moves for defencemen were adding puckmovers to the back end and subtracting guys like Gorges. 

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The crazy thing about this summer is that all 4 of the defencemen they drafted are puck movers. 

Last year... all three of the defencemen drafted were puck movers. (1 is now traded).

Either, there seems to be a disconnect between what Bergevin is doing with the NHL roster, and what the scouting staff is doing. Or they never intended to go this low on puckmovers.  Most of Bergevins early moves for defencemen were adding puckmovers to the back end and subtracting guys like Gorges. 

Yeah, it's easy to assume that MB's moves reflect a vision or plan. But they could just reflect scrambling to fill holes. It may be that MB just plain bungled the Markov negotiations (just as he bungled the Subban contract), and now is stuck short at least one top-4 puckmover - which is different from having a philosophy that favours defensive defencemen over puck-movers. When we consider that most people thought the Habs were short a top-4 puckmover even when we had Markov, the extent of MB's bumbling becomes quite remarkable, from this point of view.

Thats also what I think. 

They never intended to be short a puck mover.  Also explains why Mete is being given every chance to make this team, and why they scrambled to get Streit when they did. It also explains going for Morrow even though he's a player that Julien wasn't really fond of in Boston.  They are throwing as much crap at the wall as they can to find a puckmover right now and praying something sticks. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Thats also what I think. 

They never intended to be short a puck mover.  Also explains why Mete is being given every chance to make this team, and why they scrambled to get Streit when they did. It also explains going for Morrow even though he's a player that Julien wasn't really fond of in Boston.  They are throwing as much crap at the wall as they can to find a puckmover right now and praying something sticks. 

Short AT LEAST one top-4 puck-mover. Like I say, most of us thought the Habs needed another one in addition to Markov last season.

The mind reels...but who knows, maybe they'll get lucky and something will indeed stick.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

They are throwing as much crap at the wall as they can to find a puckmover right now and praying something sticks. 

And that in a nutshell summarizes the Bergevin regime.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Scherbak called back up.

Probably don't want to run all vets in the two games this weekend, and then he'll go back down. 

Julien said last week there was a good chance Scherbak would be back before the end of camp so it seems likely he'll get one more chance to at least make an impression.

33 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I wonder if Streit would just retire if he was sent to Laval?

I could see a loan to a Swiss NLA club being an option as well if he was to clear waivers.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does this mean Scherbak is 'knocking on the door,' the team's go-to call-up at FW? Or is it more about just giving a significant prospect a further opportunity?

I'd lean towards the latter - they don't want to burn the veterans with a back-to-back at the end of the preseason so instead, Scherbak will get to play a game.  It will also allow him to skip Laval's two preseason games in all likelihood.

McNiven has now been recalled so there are five goalies in camp once again.  Presumably, he will be the emergency goalie tonight if Lindgren can't go after the warmup again; that way Price gets the night off one way or the other.  McNiven's expected to start for Laval in their preseason opener tomorrow so he'll likely be sent down after the game.