Sept. 18, Habs vs Bruins, 7 PM

dlbalr

34 minutes ago, DON said:

TSN690  guys going on and on about Galchenyuk pulling a Subban, by coughing up puck on the PP, which was fine; but, then he supposedly lazily coasted down the ice. Momesso didn't like lack of effort.

That was the case for most of the game for him.  If the puck wasn't in the offensive zone, he wasn't too interested. 

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I see Shaw is in mid-season form for useless penalties. 

Yep - he couldn't even get through the first preseason game without an abuse of official penalty (not to mention the needless slash in the final minute).  Hopefully, he gets them all out of his system now but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

3 hours ago, DON said:

TSN690  guys going on and on about Galchenyuk pulling a Subban, by coughing up puck on the PP, which was fine; but, then he supposedly lazily coasted down the ice. Momesso didn't like lack of effort.

It wasn't pretty.

I was wondering, what happens if Galchenyuk is worse defensively as a winger than as a center? :blink::P Where does he belong then? And don't say the press box!

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It wasn't pretty.

I was wondering, what happens if Galchenyuk is worse defensively as a winger than as a center? :blink::P Where does he belong then? And don't say the press box!

Whatever Galy is, I wouldn't draw even the slightest conclusions from a pointless, ridiculous preseason game.

Guest Stogey24

Why would he try? It's game of shinny. Gives these guys some time to get their muscle memory back. 

You go out there and skate your nuts off this early, your asking for an injury 

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It wasn't pretty.

Funny how, even in nothing game 100% of comments were that Gallagher still gave 100%, as per usual. Definitely he and his buddy are wired different, Galchenyuk couldn't even manage 1 shot vs a AHL Bruin team.

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Why would he try? It's game of shinny which gives them some time to get their muscle memory back. 

You go out there and skate your nuts odd this early, your asking for an injury 

Who said he needs to skate his nuts off and why would skating hard or even just breaking a sweat, after almost 6months of off-season training be a worry? 

Guest Stogey24

He hasn't been playing in nhl games all summer, has he? 

Your body isn't in game shape after 6 months off. Thats why you see so many groin injuries at the start the of the season. 

Remember that pre-season game where Price stunk it up and the whole city was panicking?

That was the same year he won the Hart, if memory serves.

PRESEASON MEANS NOTHING TO VETERANS. If Galy gets excited about 'em, well, good for him. But he is the outlier. It's simply not worth giving a rat's buttocks about.

There's nothing to be drawn here, I agree and I was actually mostly joking. 

Paul Byron looked slow as well which says something of its own.

This isn't meant as an attack, nor am I really trying to make a point. I'm Galchenyuk's biggest defender if I hadn't made that clear in other posts. I've also said that I don't think he costs us defensively when it matters and I stand by it. 

All I know is that I played hockey my whole life and for me, pre season or not, it was difficult for me to ever play a game at half speed.

I could understand floating throughout almost the entire game since he's a professional NHL veteran but truthfully, the ONE time you would see me hustle even if the game was meaningless would be to backcheck if I coughed the puck up as the last man back or if it created an odd man rush back. It only takes 5 seconds out of the game to do that. That type of thing is created in the head and not by any physical disability from time off.

It really doesn't matter at all, I agree, but it's also not something that should be defended. Galchenyuk had a bad game, period. It wasn't because of that moment. 

I still think he's going to have an awesome year as long as he's not strangled by the staff. 

:habslogo::gohabsgo::habslogo:

Guest Stogey24

Practice today 

Pacioretty - Drouin - Hemsky
Hudon - Plekanec - Lehkonen
Carr - Eisenschmid - Broll
Ebbing/Martinsen - Holland - Scherbak

Mete - Weber
Benn - Streit
Leblanc - Redmond
Davidson - Jerabek

Price
Lindgren

My one real wildcard  up front this season is Hemsky. I have him on the 3rd line and have argued that anyone who has him in their top 6 is likely going to be disappointed but if he could manage to play in the top 6 and be productive in the role, that would go a long way in making our offense a little more dangerous. On the other hand, if he is slotted in the top 6 but isn't producing like a top 6 player then it just goes to show we have holes in the lineup.

Streit on the right side is interesting to say the least. Even though it's preseason, it could mean a variety of things. 

I'm more interested in watching this lineup than yesterday's.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

He hasn't been playing in nhl games all summer, has he? 

Your body isn't in game shape after 6 months off. Thats why you see so many groin injuries at the start the of the season. 

And yesterday wasn't a NHL game neither, was it. He should of been head and shoulders about there rest of players out there, even at 1/2 speed.

22yr old kids should not be worrying about pulling a frickin muscle, unless their training has sucked. 

But, is pre-season and quite meaningless, but after finishing in Julien's doghouse last season, you might think he would show moderate effort level.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

And yesterday wasn't a NHL game neither, was it. He should of been head and shoulders about there rest of players out there, even at 1/2 speed.

22yr old kids should not be worrying about pulling a frickin muscle, unless their training has sucked. 

But, is pre-season and quite meaningless, but after finishing in Julien's doghouse last season, you might think he would show moderate effort level.

If you watch pre-season hockey around the NHL, and not just the Habs... you see it all the time. 

Veterans are not head and shoulders about the rest of the players out there at 1/2 speed.  Not at this point in camp.  It doesn't happen. 

The kids desperate to make the team, or to make the AHL team, or to get any type of shot whatsoever, those are the guys who look best in these early games.  That will change closer to the regular season.  But no, he is not head and shoulders above a junior player when he is going half speed, and neither are other NHL vets. The gap isn't so big that these guys can dog it and still be better than a player working his tail off. 

John Tavares scored 2 goals in his first game going half speed. 

I think it's more likely that even the veterans are adjusting to new systems, rather than purposely dogging it. 

I agree that young players are trying to prove themselves and should be giving the most effort they can when compared to

someone who is guaranteed a spot.

Don does make a good point though that Galchenyuk finished the season in Julien's doghouse. He ended on the 4th line and preseason or not, he has a little something to prove as well.

My opinion on that has nothing to do with yesterday's game. It's just a fact of where he stands in general.

Guest Stogey24

Galchenyuk actually ended the season slotted between Pacioretty and Radulov. Taking the most important face off the game. If we're going to bring that into this ridiculous argument

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

John Tavares scored 2 goals in his first game going half speed. 

I think it's more likely that even the veterans are adjusting to new systems, rather than purposely dogging it. 

I agree that young players are trying to prove themselves and should be giving the most effort they can when compared to

someone who is guaranteed a spot.

Don does make a good point though that Galchenyuk finished the season in Julien's doghouse. He ended on the 4th line and preseason or not, he has a little something to prove as well.

My opinion on that has nothing to do with yesterday's game. It's just a fact of where he stands in general.

Hadnt you heard...Julien just dosent like Russians anyways.

According to Michael Farber anyways.:B)

On 9/19/2017 at 0:04 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Remember that pre-season game where Price stunk it up and the whole city was panicking?

That was the same year he won the Hart, if memory serves.

PRESEASON MEANS NOTHING TO VETERANS. If Galy gets excited about 'em, well, good for him. But he is the outlier. It's simply not worth giving a rat's buttocks about.

Just to correct it was 2010-2011 when that happened. Halak was just traded so everyone was on the edge of their seats on the decision. He had a great season and almost led us over the eventual Stanley Cup winner. 

Preseason means nothing except giving the coach time to play with lines and find chemistry. Don't really know if Julien is doing the best job there. Chuck and Danault on the same line look like a race car driver and a golfer being told to play lacrosse together. 

On 9/19/2017 at 0:08 PM, Stogey24 said:

Galchenyuk actually ended the season slotted between Pacioretty and Radulov. Taking the most important face off the game. If we're going to bring that into this ridiculous argument

It's not really a ridiculous argument to conclude that Julien didn't think highly of Galchenyuk last season. Bringing up the fact that he was brought in for one big face off in the series is the ridiculous argument. Either Julien should have done it on a regular basis throughout the series (I would have) or it may have even been the wrong choice in the moment. Didn't work out so well, did it?