Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Sept. 20, Washington vs Montreal, 7 PM

Recommended Posts

Scott462    54
26 minutes ago, DON said:

Most curious how Jerabek & Scherbak look.

 

Jerabek looks solid to me. Seems to be doing quite well on the smaller ice. I'd like to see him paired with Weber at some point.

 

Scherbak looks lazy and unintersted. Probably needs another year in the AHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    607

Team played decent.  Result doesn't matter as much in these games as how you play.  Habs were the better team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nihilz    29

Meh loss smosh, lots of positives.

 

Lindgren, Mete and Hudon made managements job that much harder.

 

Scherbak seems lazy. Davidson out played Streit by a large margin. And Jerabek didn't look out of place. 

 

Hemsky has a nice blend of IQ skills and speed to compliment Jo & Pax. I hope he can stay healthy.

 

Drouin came as advertised. I look forward to when the roster is trimmed and guys are gearing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    607

Jerabek might be Weber's partner, not to start the season... but to finish it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    106

I'll take a positive outlook on this game..

 

- Mete, who i was looking forward to watching, did not disappoint, he translated his speed and smarts to the next level. He has all the tools to succeed in today's NHL in the near future.

- Jerabek looked like he could get the job done at the NHL level and likely to progress throughout the season.

- Drouin looked like a smooth, skilled, top line forward once he got going, his PP play was incredible, he will likely be as pivotal on our PP as Kovalev once was. His ability to do anything with the puck from his spot make it next to impossible to stop for long stretches. He can hurt you with a shot, hurt you with patience, hurt you with passes, he is constantly roving up and down the left side making it very difficult to keep tabs on his next move.

- Thought Lindgren looked very good during the time he played.

- Hudon looks like a guy who is going to have a solid rookie year, start in the top 9, and possibly move into the top 6 when injuries start creeping in. He looks like a rare case where his talent and ability is so good, he was able to avoid being hindered by the Lefevbre effect, thank god. I see him as this season's Lehkonen, and very similar production potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dalhabs    78

Reading about Hudon here makes me feel really happy Vegas didnt pick him.

I hope they will give him a real chance this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    272

Was at the game.

Jeez those faceoffs are anoying !!!

 

Drouin looked very good out there with the puck. 

Streit is far from being a regular top 6, that's for sure.

Hudon is a top 9, that's for sure.  Does Byron deserve a 4th line spot though ? Maybe.

 

in the  future lineup thread, I was the only one who wanted Hemsky on the 1st line, there he was. And not out of place at all.

 

Scherback sucked through the first 2 periods, but  got better in the 3rd. Some good flashes at the end. But he got pushed around quite much early on.

 

I liked Jerabek.  Did his job. Was feeding Davidson alright.  And the later can definitely hit the net. I liked Davidson in this game.

 

I didn't notice Mete much. Maybe we saw him more on tv ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    138

I predicted 4-2 for wrong team. I have a bad habit of either being right on the mark or having the exact opposite happen. For instance, predicting a PP goal and then getting scored on short handed.

 

Mete looked good. Hudon will be on the team. He does have a tough time standing on his feet but he had a great second period. I think some fans will eventually turn on him like they did Desharnais. It might take years, but it's going to happen. The main difference is that he is more of a scorer so that bodes well for him. 

 

Scherbak didn't look great.

 

I don't agree Davidson is better than Streit but my opinion probably won't change no matter what happens. 

 

I already like Hemsky. I predict that he's going to be very good for us but even if he remains healthy, he's going to slow down, down the stretch.

 

Plekanec is going to be better this year. He's ommitted from everyone's comments when it comes to talking about how our offense can improve but in reality, it's not a hard thing to predict that he'll be better than last season considering what his stats were last year. 

 

Jerabek was alright but I don't think he should be a top pair defenseman. It would be hard to convince me that he would be more deserving of the spot than Beaulieu and Beaulieu didn't deserve it either.

 

As for the face offs, I think it's something that any talk show on TV would be laughing at and criticizing: "look at this ridiculous sport hockey and their face offs" and everyone would

agree. But when I think about it, it could be accurate in the sense that the refs are demonstrating that this is exactly the point. It's not a rule that's creating a dumb issue, it's a rule that's being enforced because people have not been following it. It's more to make the players aware and perhaps part of the reasons that there will be less penalties and players getting kicked out in important moments is because the players have used this time to adjust and have therefore been conditioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    23
7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

 

 

Jerabek was alright but I don't think he should be a top pair defenseman. It would be hard to convince me that he would be more deserving of the spot than Beaulieu and Beaulieu didn't deserve it either.

But, is Jerabek likely better than Emelin, who played a ton more with Weber than Nate the Great did. Jerabek had 29a in 50 some games in both Czech and the KHL leagues in last two years, so I hope or expect that he is somewhat smart distributing pucks. But, smaller ice likely needs quicker decision making, so will be interesting to see how he adapts...or dosent.:spamafote:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    237
10 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Was at the game.

Jeez those faceoffs are anoying !!!

 

Drouin looked very good out there with the puck. 

Streit is far from being a regular top 6, that's for sure.

Hudon is a top 9, that's for sure.  Does Byron deserve a 4th line spot though ? Maybe.

 

in the  future lineup thread, I was the only one who wanted Hemsky on the 1st line, there he was. And not out of place at all.

 

Scherback sucked through the first 2 periods, but  got better in the 3rd. Some good flashes at the end. But he got pushed around quite much early on.

 

I liked Jerabek.  Did his job. Was feeding Davidson alright.  And the later can definitely hit the net. I liked Davidson in this game.

 

I didn't notice Mete much. Maybe we saw him more on tv ?

Hudon' s goal came from Mete. 

 

He was basically the reason I watched the game. I Really like the kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meller93    122
51 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Hudon' s goal came from Mete. 

 

He was basically the reason I watched the game. I Really like the kid. 

Is he as offensive as a guy like Tory Krug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    23

Carr, Scherbak, Jerabek playing again today. Price starting

DKQTn0uUQAAqIr3.jpg:large

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    23
7 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Is he as offensive as a guy like Tory Krug?

Never heard him say anything rude...yet.

Yes, he seems to be, but likely he is a quicker skater, but never really paid Krug much attention.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    272

Carr was answering Hudon toe for toe, except for the goal.  Both were all out  and impressed me a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    237
15 minutes ago, DON said:

Never heard him say anything rude...yet.

Yes, he seems to be, but likely he is a quicker skater, but never really paid Krug much attention.

Not bad ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    607
24 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Is he as offensive as a guy like Tory Krug?

 

He doesn't have Krug's shot, which is a rocket... but he has everything else.  Mete is probably a better skater.   This isn't to say that Mete's shot is bad, but Krug has an elite slap shot and Mete can't match that. 

 

Mete's defensive game is ahead of where Krug was at the same age. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lazy26    58
36 minutes ago, DON said:

Carr, Scherbak, Jerabek playing again today. Price starting

DKQTn0uUQAAqIr3.jpg:large

 

Someone didn't get the memo that Chucky isn't a center anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    138

I don't know what it is about Galchenyuk that makes me see him as a capable center. It's not because I want him to be for any stubborn reason and it's also to the extent that I think he can be a good center. He does turnover the puck too much I admit but the center of the ice gives him a little more room to be shifty. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see Galchenyuk as a decent East-West player and the middle of the ice would allow him to go left or right 1 on 1 against the D.

 

On the other hand, people have often criticized his shifty play and have accused him of being selfish for not finding his teammates so the exact thing I'm mentioning could be used as an argument against him. It depends what you're looking for.

 

Coincidentally, Drouin did not impress me at the face off dot. I was surprised to see he was 46%, which may indicate some expectation bias. I want him to thrive in the position and it's just one game. There's no doubt in my mind he'll get better. It's just my personal opinion that I can already see how winning face offs may be difficult for him against some larger players once the going gets tough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    272

Scheifele is a 46% C  too.  And nobody gives a damn rat about it cuz he puts up 80 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    138

Good point. Scheifele is 6"3 and it obviously didn't help him at the dot. Who knows how his size helps the rest of his game as a center though.

 

I want Drouin to thrive. I've repeated that I've seen him outplay Crosby in specific games. At the same time, people need to temper their expectations. He's maxed out at 53 points so far and all of a sudden we expect him to be a PPG player. Even Scheifele had points in the 60s before he reached 80. It's 100% possible but the expectations need to be temperered.

 

I live in Southern California now so I'm not around it as much but all I had to see was Mario Tremblay's expectations prior to game 1 and the only reason he thought we would be a better team this year was "Jonathan Drouin". Nothing else mattered when it came to assessing why we were an improved team. It's true that he's capable of being more elite than anything we've had up front in a long time but it's the manner in which it was said.

 

Finally, no one gave a damn about Scheifele's face off percentage nor his 82 points because the Jets didn't make the playoffs. I emphasized Drouin's completely hypothetical issues coming to fruition when the going gets tough. By that, I was imagining the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toronthab    291

Great ... or at least well above mediocre comments guys! I got my RDS $59. package here by Lake Huron (Goderich, On.. the city that time

forgot..) and luvved my first Habs fix. Meanwhile the armed forces are having a practice day at the closed teen rehab centre and we're off to a house shaking explosive start to the season! 

 

EDIT: When I spoke of house shaking explosive starts, I was not , repeat, not referring to farts. 

 

But come to think of it... :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    607
49 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Scheifele is a 46% C  too.  And nobody gives a damn rat about it cuz he puts up 80 points.

 

Face-off percentage is largely overrated IMO.  It is merely a measurement of just one of the dozens of one-on-one puck battles that happen every shift.  

I think a bigger issue is if Drouin will be defensively responsible without the puck, playing 5 on 5.  That is what will make or break him as a centre.  Not his faceoff percentage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    138
16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Face-off percentage is largely overrated IMO.  It is merely a measurement of just one of the dozens of one-on-one puck battles that happen every shift.  

I think a bigger issue is if Drouin will be defensively responsible without the puck, playing 5 on 5.  That is what will make or break him as a centre.  Not his faceoff percentage. 

It's not a right perspective. These are controlled 1 on 1 battles unlike other ones. I guess the NHL is completely oblivious when they try to increase offense by changing rules related to where faceoffs are, who puts their stick down first, etc.

 

You'll not change your perspective on this but faceoff wins lead to possession. Any smart team will use a faceoff win to their advantage. If you win the face off and then dump the puck in, sure the faceoff meant nothing. If you win a face off in the offensive zone on a powerplay, it makes a difference  when compared to losing the faceoff and having the other team send the puck down the ice. If you win the face off in 3 on 3 overtime and play keep away from the opposing team, the faceoff mattered.

 

Dozens of puck battles don't neceseccarily happen every shift. Teams like Anaheim

who thrive on cycling and winning puck

battles want to play that way but smaller teams who rely on puck movement, speed and posssession shouldn't play that way.

 

And so what, those other 1 on 1 puck battles along the boards are also critical and players who are soft on the puck often get criticized for it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    607

All puck battles lead to possession. 

 

1 on 1 puck battles have also been studied, its about a 5 to 1 ratio vs faceoffs. 

Winning an uncontrolled puck battle was also said to lead to slightly more High Danger Scoring Chances than a faceoff.  This is because teams are not coached and set up to defend winning/losing a one-on-one battle in the corner, where there are numerous strategies to defend against a face-off loss.  Yes, they aren't always successful, and some faceoffs lead to good chances and goals, but the fact remains that more chances are created from winning a battle for a loose puck following a rebound, or in a corner than off a draw. 

Are face-offs important? sure. 

Are they more important than other puck battles? No.  in that way, faceoff percentage has become overrated. 

Give me the players HDSC% or Corsi% over his face-off number any day of the week.  I care about the total number of chances he is on the ice for, at both ends of the rink created from all situations (including but not limited to faceoffs).  To me that is a far more relevant number than a pure percentage of faceoff wins. 

yet another example of a stat that is becoming outdated. ... like plus/minus.  Useful in some contexts, but others are far more important indicators of whether or not the player will become a good centre. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toronthab    291
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don't know what it is about Galchenyuk that makes me see him as a capable center. It's not because I want him to be for any stubborn reason and it's also to the extent that I think he can be a good center. He does turnover the puck too much I admit but the center of the ice gives him a little more room to be shifty. Correct me if I'm wrong but I see Galchenyuk as a decent East-West player and the middle of the ice would allow him to go left or right 1 on 1 against the D.

 

On the other hand, people have often criticized his shifty play and have accused him of being selfish for not finding his teammates so the exact thing I'm mentioning could be used as an argument against him. It depends what you're looking for.

 

Coincidentally, Drouin did not impress me at the face off dot. I was surprised to see he was 46%, which may indicate some expectation bias. I want him to thrive in the position and it's just one game. There's no doubt in my mind he'll get better. It's just my personal opinion that I can already see how winning face offs may be difficult for him against some larger players once the going gets tough.  

When I paid attention he lost the draws. I'm surprise too that he was at 46.. but who was he facing? The tryout crowd? It would be nice if one of these guys could excel and flourish at centre but if not.. c'est la vie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×