Sept. 30, Ottawa vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, PMAC said:

Are you ok? That comment is like you channeled Reggie Houle. That is not happening 

My point is more towards Benn brutal. 

This trend started last year in the playoffs and it's carried over. Last night he literally stood there when an Ottawa player tapped one in on the door step. 

32 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

This trend started last year in the playoffs and it's carried over. Last night he literally stood there when an Ottawa player tapped one in on the door step. 

You forgot your caveat, that you have a irrational hate-on for Benn. Although Benn managed to be -1 while Mete was +4.

delaRose the sniper!

9 goals, that was a nice finish to preseason, as Pacioretty noted, they wanted to peak at the right time!

38 minutes ago, DON said:

as Pacioretty noted, they wanted to peak at the right time!

First time for everything, I suppose. Let's hope they remember this principle come April for once.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I re-read my post and I didn't mean to rude. If you had said Davidson or even Morrow I still would have thought you were very wrong, but Gelinas?! The only reason they could have signed him is that they want some excitement and scoring from the D in Laval. Except for his shot, he has no NHL quality skills. Benn is a solid 5-6 D with gusts up to 4 in a strictly limited time frame. Streit is a reliable veteran 7-8 who will be ok with not playing much. Morrow is looking like a career ahl call up/ 6-8. Davidson I don't know except he has looked rotten so far. And it looks like we might have been veeerrry lucky with Mete.

Guest Stogey24

Benn is a #6 in my eyes 

Gelinas wasn't even that bad in pre season, but of course brining in a guy who's been know to have questionable play in his own end, people are always going to use that as some type of slight against him

Benn remains more capable of playing solid hockey than guys like Streit, Davidson, Morrow, and Gelinas.

He had some very solid stretches last season for us and some less solid ones, but the bottom line is Benn has looked good enough to be a #5/6 for us for the majority of his time here. Yes he had a dip in play in the playoffs, but that body of work is 6 games compared to the 20+ prior to it, where he looked every bit the capable bottom pair guy who can give you a solid 18 or 19 min a game.

He has also not looked terrible in this pre-season, he has not looked very good, but he looks more disengaged than he does incapable, and that could easily be from pre-season mindset and not from a lack of ability. He has also had some very nice moments in pre-season, he landed a few notable hits so far in the corners that stood out, his pass off the boards to spring Shaw on his breakaway for that backhand beauty against Florida was also very nice and took me by surprise. If he gets into regular season mode, plays simple and solid hockey while showcasing his nasty side a bit and some solid passing. We could easily see Benn playing most of the year like the way he was playing after his trade here, and if that is the case, You will hear no complaints from me, especially at his caphit.

55 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Benn is a #6 in my eyes 

Gelinas wasn't even that bad in pre season, but of course brining in a guy who's been know to have questionable play in his own end, people are always going to use that as some type of slight against him

Three semi-decent preseason games shouldn't take more importance over three bad years when it comes to Gelinas.  Yes, Benn hasn't been at his best but five so-so preseason games shouldn't take more importance over four full NHL seasons of being a serviceable third pairing defenceman.  You have to consider the entire body of work for Gelinas when assessing whether or not he's worth a contract and a roster spot, not just a few exhibition games.  That's why you're not finding much support in saying Gelinas should be ahead of Benn because the much larger track record suggests that wouldn't be a smart idea.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Three semi-decent preseason games shouldn't take more importance over three bad years when it comes to Gelinas.  Yes, Benn hasn't been at his best but five so-so preseason games shouldn't take more importance over four full NHL seasons of being a serviceable third pairing defenceman.  You have to consider the entire body of work for Gelinas when assessing whether or not he's worth a contract and a roster spot, not just a few exhibition games.  That's why you're not finding much support in saying Gelinas should be ahead of Benn because the much larger track record suggests that wouldn't be a smart idea.

Benn was atrocious in the playoffs and down the stretch

Just my opinion.

That 6 spot isn't going to make or break this team anyways