We Have A Trade To Announce

Commandant

I speculated the other day that Deslauriers could be someone they look at.  Redmond wasn't going to have much of an impact this season with Montreal and I don't think Deslauriers will either.

The biggest thing here is that at basically the last possible second, the #20 streak lives on.  Players who have that number only last one year.  Redmond's second season would have started tonight with the start of the NHL campaign (which reminds me, I better go start the general NHL thread) but the 'curse' lives on.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

O'Byrne was with the Habs for a few years but he only switched to #20 for 2009-10.  Three games into 2010-11, he was dealt to Colorado.  So technically, he lasted just over a year with #20.

It was less than a year.  He didn't switch to #20 on opening night in 2009-10.

He switched to #20 during the 100th anniversary game in December, when he gave the number 3 up so Emile Bouchard could have it retired before that game. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He switched to #20 during the 100th anniversary game in December, when he gave the number 3 up so Emile Bouchard could have it retired before that game. 

I stand corrected.  So yeah, it has been a while since someone has lasted more than a year with that number in Montreal.

I like all these little moves that Bergy does. Solid asset management. Deslauriers>>Martinsen. Marty just can't skate. He looks like Douglas Murray out there at wing. Nicely done!

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Duh

6 hours ago, huzer said:

Geez, was O'Byrne more than a year (I think so), or do we have to go all the way back to Zednik to find a multi-season #20?

In order (I think): Redmond, Bartley, Malhotra, Vanek, Armstrong, Wisniewski, Leach, Lang, O'Byrne, Smolinski, Johnson, Zednik. 

Let it be known that if you want out of Montreal you change your jersey # to 20.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

In order (I think): Redmond, Bartley, Malhotra, Vanek, Armstrong, Wisniewski, Leach, Lang, O'Byrne, Smolinski, Johnson, Zednik. 

Let it be known that if you want out of Montreal you change your jersey # to 20.

That's some catalogue! I sure liked the Wiz. Lang was great too before he went down to that stupid injury, which started the catastrophic collapse of Gainey Rebuild 1.0.

Smoke and Mike Johnson were smart players near the end of the string - I liked them too, respected their contributions.

Zednik, now there are some painful memories...memories of a time when we thought he and Jan frigging Bulis could be top-6 FWs on a quality team. Oy. :unsure:

1 hour ago, nihilz said:

I like all these little moves that Bergy does. Solid asset management. Deslauriers>>Martinsen. Marty just can't skate. He looks like Douglas Murray out there at wing. Nicely done!

I thought Martinsen was a very good skater. 

Unfortunately that (and being large) were his only skills.  No hands, no awareness, not good offensively or defensively, didn't win enough battles for his size, no shot, no passing. 

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, Commandant said:

I thought Martinsen was a very good skater. 

Unfortunately that (and being large) were his only skills.  No hands, no awareness, not good offensively or defensively, didn't win enough battles for his size, no shot, no passing. 

Ya, not too sure where the Doug Murray reference comes from 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The team needs a better center for the 4th line? I wonder if Bergevin is up to the task....

Cut to Habs' hockey ops meeting

Julien - "Marc, I think it's pretty clear that acquiring a top 6 centre would really benefit the team."

Bergevin - "uh huh..." *starts looking at custom suits online* 

*Timmins does pushups while muttering about Galchenyuk*

Muller - "Or uh, maybe a puck moving defenseman who can play 25 minutes a night...?"

Bergevin - "zzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz"

*Timmins does deadlifts and sneezes, "SERgachev! Oh, excuse me."

Daigneault - "a bettar 4th line center wud be gud!!!1!!"

Julien and Muller - "JJ! NO!!"

Bergevin snaps awake, twinkle in his eye - "Now we're talking! Scott, who did I help draft in Chicago that can play center on our 4th line?"

Mellanby - "Um... Byron Froese, sir."

Bergevin - "Tabernac! This is as good as we get, guys! Nothing more to do for this team!"

*Muller stares at nothing. Mellanby thinks he should suit up for a tryout. Julien caresses his locket of Brad Marchand. Timmins does burpees in the corner. Daigneault writes in crayon.*

fin

You paint a hell of a picture. 

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The team needs a better center for the 4th line? I wonder if Bergevin is up to the task....

Julien - "Marc, I think it's pretty clear that acquiring a top 6 centre would really benefit the team."

Muller - "Or uh, maybe a puck moving defenseman who can play 25 minutes a night...?"

Bergevin snaps awake, twinkle in his eye - "Now we're talking! Scott, who did I help draft in Chicago that can play center on our 4th line?"

Bergevin - "Tabernac! This is as good as we get, guys! Nothing more to do for this team!"

*Muller stares at nothing. Mellanby thinks he should suit up for a tryout. Julien caresses his locket of Brad Marchand. Timmins does burpees in the corner. Daigneault writes in crayon.*

fin

Amazing. I didn’t know Froese was drafted by Chicago. :lol:

13 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Amazing. I didn’t know Froese was drafted by Chicago. :lol:

Bergevin was assistant coach in Chicago when Froese was drafted, but MB was team director of player personnel when Froese signed his ELC, and assistant GM for a year of Byron's AHL/ECHL career. 

15 hours ago, Trizzak said:

fin

:rofl:

On 12/20/2017 at 8:14 PM, Trizzak said:

I agree with Commandant, btw. Could use an upgrade on Froese. 

I much prefer DLR over Froese.