2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
7 minutes ago, DON said:

So Plekanec will be worth $12m for last and this upcoming year? I and most would disagree with you. 

What. 

29 minutes ago, DON said:

Vegas beating Sens 5-2 in the 3rd, nice to see.

Vegas tried their best to blow it - they missed an open net at 5-3, let Karlsson score with 33 seconds left and then held on for dear life to preserve the win.

Guest Stogey24
45 minutes ago, DON said:

Someone told me that "you get what you pay for".

First of all, How is Plekanec making 12 million this year. 

Where do you even pull that comparison from. Radulov and Plekanec are the furthest thing from like players. 

19 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

You get what you pay for.

19 hours ago, DON said:

So Plekanec will be worth $12m for last and this upcoming year? I and most would disagree with you. 

6 + 6

15 minutes ago, DON said:

McCarron looks the same as he did in pre-season. He is just too slow for NHL isn't he? Have to be better options to have in line up?

Slow is right. I claim no expertise in player evaluation, but if he ever becomes more than a 4th liner, I will be surprised.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Is this NCAA kid just off to a hot start, or would he be worth offering contract?

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-men/article/2017-11-01/college-hockey-st-cloud-states-jimmy-schuldt-named-national

He was at Montreal's development camp in the summer.  I wanted him to sign a contract then.  He has been highly sought after already but turned down NHL offers to remain in school.

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Matt Duchene has been pulled from the Colorado game with a trade expected to be completed.  It's Mike Cammalleri all over again...

Wow...

Figure it’s that three way trade between Nash Ottawa? Duchene is landing in Ottawa?

Well, I have to give Sakic credit - he did pretty well here:

To Ottawa: Matt Duchene

To Nashville: Kyle Turris (who signs a six-year, $36 million extension)

To Colorado: Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev, and a 2nd rounder (from NSH) plus Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a 1st, and a 3rd from Ottawa

Bowers was Ottawa's first rounder in 2017 while Girard and Kamenev were 2nd rounders of the Predators.  Basically, they got two 1st's, three 2nd's, a 3rd, and a cap dump in Hammond for less than two years of Duchene.  Not bad at all for the Avs.  Nashville gives up a fair bit but gets a top-six centre for the next seven years so I can understand that.  Ottawa gives up Turris (who some would argue is the better player), plus basically two first rounders for Duchene which seems like a steep overpayment.  They'd have been better off just re-signing Turris to the extension themselves.

Would have been nice to land Turris or Duchene but spilled milk. 

I was in the minority when it came to discussions on acquiring him but I think Duchene will have a fine year.

57 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Well, I have to give Sakic credit - he did pretty well here:

To Ottawa: Matt Duchene

To Nashville: Kyle Turris (who signs a six-year, $36 million extension)

To Colorado: Samuel Girard, Vladislav Kamenev, and a 2nd rounder (from NSH) plus Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, a 1st, and a 3rd from Ottawa

Bowers was Ottawa's first rounder in 2017 while Girard and Kamenev were 2nd rounders of the Predators.  Basically, they got two 1st's, three 2nd's, a 3rd, and a cap dump in Hammond for less than two years of Duchene.  Not bad at all for the Avs.  Nashville gives up a fair bit but gets a top-six centre for the next seven years so I can understand that.  Ottawa gives up Turris (who some would argue is the better player), plus basically two first rounders for Duchene which seems like a steep overpayment.  They'd have been better off just re-signing Turris to the extension themselves.

Can't wait to hear some great analysis from Freidman, Kypreos, and Ron Maclean during the intermission.

*pause*

... well maybe Gordon Lightfoot will have something to say about it ...

*pause*

#### this channel.

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Can't wait to hear some great analysis from Freidman, Kypreos, and Ron Maclean during the intermission.

*pause*

... well maybe Gordon Lightfoot will have something to say about it ...

*pause*

#### this channel.

It's only a major trade involving a Canadian team...yeah, that doesn't require any analysis on a national telecast.  Ethan Moreau talked about it briefly in the first intermission, I think that has been the only real mention of it so far.   That's pitiful.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Ottawa got hosed.  Duchene is not a huge upgrade on Turris. 

That was my reaction as well. Weird trade for them...obviously they are hoping Duchene recovers his form from, like, four years ago. Oh well, anything that hurts Ottawa is A-OK with me.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That was my reaction as well. Weird trade for them...obviously they are hoping Duchene recovers his form from, like, four years ago. Oh well, anything that hurts Ottawa is A-OK with me.

So you guys think Ottawa got hosed because the player they received is only a slight upgrade?

I agree Ottawa gave up too much and I understand that draft picks/prospects were also involved but I don't see it as a trade that's necessarily going to hurt them. Duchene will be a handful. I'm not certain how realistic it is to assume that Turris and Ottawa would have come to the same agreement he did with Nashville? If they could have signed Turris, it is a bit of a strange deal.

Then again, not many people on here believe in Duchene anymore and I still think he's going to have a great season (Turris should as well). Duchene would have looked good in a Habs jersey. I wouldn't have included Chucky in a move for him anymore though. 

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

So you guys think Ottawa got hosed because the player they received is only a slight upgrade?

I agree Ottawa gave up too much and I understand that draft picks/prospects were also involved but I don't see it as a trade that's necessarily going to hurt them. Duchene will be a handful. I'm not certain how realistic it is to assume that Turris and Ottawa would have come to the same agreement he did with Nashville? If they could have signed Turris, it is a bit of a strange deal.

Then again, not many people on here believe in Duchene anymore and I still think he's going to have a great season (Turris should as well). Duchene would have looked good in a Habs jersey. I wouldn't have included Chucky in a move for him anymore though. 

Duchene is a good player - I'd have liked him on the Habs - and will not hurt Ottawa now; he might make them better. But in overpaying, Ottawa is depleting part of its future resources, so I'm hoping it hurts them in the long run. (Otherwise there is no such thing as 'overpaying' when you send back future assets).

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Duchene is a good player - I'd have liked him on the Habs - and will not hurt Ottawa now; he might make them better. But in overpaying, Ottawa is depleting part of its future resources, so I'm hoping it hurts them in the long run. (Otherwise there is no such thing as 'overpaying' when you send back future assets).

I agree. Colorado did seem to get a nice return and Nashville came out from it all quite nicely as well. From their side of things, a lot of it depends on what the Senators' relationship with Turris was like in my opinion. For some reason, I get the feeling there was something going on there as well and if that's the case, Ottawa got a nice player  in return in Duchene. There also remains the possibility that he resigns with them or signs an extension. Kind of like what we should have done with Radulov.

17 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree. Colorado did seem to get a nice return and Nashville came out from it all quite nicely as well. From their side of things, a lot of it depends on what the Senators' relationship with Turris was like in my opinion. For some reason, I get the feeling there was something going on there as well and if that's the case, Ottawa got a nice player  in return in Duchene. There also remains the possibility that he resigns with them or signs an extension. Kind of like what we should have done with Radulov.

It's funny...just looking at the numbers, Turris is at least as productive - indeed more productive - than Duchene has been over the past four years. Yet Duchene retains an aura as a 'star' while nobody thinks of Turris that way. It just shows how sticky reputation is in the NHL.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic