2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

31 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree. Colorado did seem to get a nice return and Nashville came out from it all quite nicely as well. From their side of things, a lot of it depends on what the Senators' relationship with Turris was like in my opinion. For some reason, I get the feeling there was something going on there as well and if that's the case, Ottawa got a nice player  in return in Duchene. There also remains the possibility that he resigns with them or signs an extension. Kind of like what we should have done with Radulov.

I read that the owner wasn’t willing to give Turris the term and $ he wanted.  From what I read, the send were offering $5.5m/5yrs and he was looking for $7m/6yrs. 

Looks like he got the term he wanted from Nashville, but took less money than what he initially was looking for.  

53 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I read that the owner wasn’t willing to give Turris the term and $ he wanted.  From what I read, the send were offering $5.5m/5yrs and he was looking for $7m/6yrs. 

Looks like he got the term he wanted from Nashville, but took less money than what he initially was looking for.  

It's a great move for Nashville. Indeed, I'd venture to say that if they'd had Turris last season, they'd likely be Cup champs by now. It's kind of amazing that they went seven games without #1 C Johansen, riding basically patchwork at C in his absence.

Guest Stogey24
45 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I really thought that Hudon would be in the top 20 after 15 games or so.

Dissapointed a bit.

I had pretty high hopes. Still really early though 

#5 on that list is somewhat alarming. That projects to 65 points over 82 games, good for fourth overall among defencemen last season (!!!) - and better projected totals than Drouin's, BTW. Here's hoping for that rookie drop-off.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

#5 on that list is somewhat alarming. That projects to 65 points over 82 games, good for fourth overall among defencemen last season (!!!) - and better projected totals than Drouin's, BTW. Here's hoping for that rookie drop-off.

I'm not worried what he does, passing to Stamkos and Kucherov. 

If he's a number 1 d, so be it. 

Drouin looks like he can be a number 1 c. 

You have to give to get. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's played well.  His possession numbers are outstanding for a rookie. 

On a team that has had tons of chances, and been snakebit, he's been the most snakebit of all IMO. 

6th on the team in shots.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I'm not worried what he does, passing to Stamkos and Kucherov. 

If he's a number 1 d, so be it. 

Drouin looks like he can be a number 1 c. 

You have to give to get. 

You don't have to give that.

We should be worried this season

If we signed Markov, it's not an issue. 

I'd love to be the most positive poster on here on a consistent basis, but we don't win the cup this year, that move, and much more importantly not resigning Markov after that move will be a big part of the reason. 

Nashville just got a #1 C (on the Habs) for some prospects and I doubt they are on Sergachev's level. Sure argue away that Turris is not on Drouin's level but that's completely besides the point.

All of this is to say that I can just jump in a boat with everyone and say that Sergachev for Drouin is a homerun when looked at on its own. Love drouin, disliked the trade.

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You don't have to give that. Typical of HabFans, we want big trade, but complain when it is painful to actually do that.

We should be worried this seasonWhy?

If we signed Markov, it's not an issue. Is History now;  he is old and slow and getting older and slower, so you don't have a clue how he would look this year.

34 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You don't have to give that.

We should be worried this season

If we signed Markov, it's not an issue. 

I'd love to be the most positive poster on here on a consistent basis, but we don't win the cup this year, that move, and much more importantly not resigning Markov after that move will be a big part of the reason. 

Nashville just got a #1 C (on the Habs) for some prospects and I doubt they are on Sergachev's level. Sure argue away that Turris is not on Drouin's level but that's completely besides the point.

All of this is to say that I can just jump in a boat with everyone and say that Sergachev for Drouin is a homerun when looked at on its own. Love drouin, disliked the trade.

He's playing 13:33 per game... 6th most on the Lightning and in the most sheltered minutes.   He isn't solving problems this season. 

And yes, you have to give to get.   You weren't getting Drouin for a bag of pucks, or for a bunch of mid-tier prospects.  Wasn't happening. 

Just like the prospects the Preds gave for Turris are not comparable to Sergachev, the 29 year old Turris, who was a UFA to be is not comparable to a 22-year-old Drouin (who tampa had 4 years of team control on).  

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I'm not a typical Habs fan who always demands a big splash. I was happy with the Vanek trade but it wasn't like i was demanding it. 

We should be worried this season because we still don't have the most competent of partners for Weber. I like Mete and hope he sticks with the squad for the entire season but I never expected him to still be on the top pair come playoff time. That's an unrealistic expectation. You may be right about Markov being old and slow but then I'll stop being generous and say I dislike the Sergachev for Drouin trade period, if that's truly the case. 

Regardless of talent, we potentially solved an issue by creating another. We lost Beaulieu, Markov and Emelin and then traded Sergachev? Do I have to mention they are all left handed? 

I see that you like Alzner, and that's perfectly fine, but that's going to certainly differentiate our opinions about how the left side of the Habs defence looks. 

What we do know about Markov is that he still capable of logging over 20 minutes in the KHL and still able to produce points and would have been a great quarterback for the powerplay (something they were looking for in Streit, as well as something Sergachev is already capable of) and Markov's simple presence helps the Habs. The record our team has had with and without him over the past decade + demonstrate that.

Markov is older, but it wasn't the plan to let Markov go. Bergevin admitted that he wanted to resign Markov or Radulov and so it wasn't entirely because of his age that he was let walk. IF it turns out to be realistic that Markov can barely play at this point, that would have simply been a lucky (yet predictable) byproduct of the entire situation. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

His numbers are also inflated.  He's playing 13 minutes a night.  That pace is unsustainable given his ice time. 

On 11/6/2017 at 0:46 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Actually, when you plug the original 7 million dollar asking price into the personal income tax calculator, his actually got almost the same money when the discrepancy between Ottawa and Nashville is factored in.  The tax difference on a 7mil salary is $985, 314 , so the 6mil he's getting from the Preds is only $14, 686 short of getting paid 7mil in Ottawa as far as take-home pay goes.

The calculator I used is at http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

43 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Actually, when you plug the original 7 million dollar asking price into the personal income tax calculator, his actually got almost the same money when the discrepancy between Ottawa and Nashville is factored in.  The tax difference on a 7mil salary is $985, 314 , so the 6mil he's getting from the Preds is only $14, 686 short of getting paid 7mil in Ottawa as far as take-home pay goes.

The calculator I used is at http://gavingroup.ca/personal-income-tax-rates-in-nhl-cities/

A somewhat simplistic look at things. 

There are variations between cities, but that assumes you live in the city you play in.  If you can establish residence elsewhere or defer earnings, or use any number of tax strategies you can make it closer.  Not even, but not as big as that calculator. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A somewhat simplistic look at things. 

There are variations between cities, but that assumes you live in the city you play in.  If you can establish residence elsewhere or defer earnings, or use any number of tax strategies you can make it closer.  Not even, but not as big as that calculator. 

Do we have to rehash the 2012 tax treaty debate again? lol. but like you say. that would only be for half of the income. the other half is exposed to jock taxes in USA and all kinds of crazy calculations. certainly not as simple as us doing our taxes.

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Will Schlemko's return help push Mete back to junior? Mete only had 8minutes yesterday.

Mete has already played 10 games, and the next big milestone with contract implications for under-20 players in the NHL is 40 games. 

He'll probably get a break in the pressbox to see if that resets his game, but I doubt he's sent down until closer to the 40 game mark.

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Mete has already played 10 games, and the next big milestone with contract implications for under-20 players in the NHL is 40 games. 

He'll probably get a break in the pressbox to see if that resets his game, but I doubt he's sent down until closer to the 40 game mark.

I bet he will be at world juniors in 7 weeks, not sure if he needs to be sent to junior 1st to be eligible or simply can be loaned to hockey Canada?

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Just to clarify, the 40-game mark is games on the active roster, not necessarily games played.  So even if he sits in the press box for a game, that will still count towards the 40.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

I bet he will be at world juniors in 7 weeks, not sure if he needs to be sent to junior 1st to be eligible or simply can be loaned to hockey Canada?

He doesn't have to be sent down first to go to the World Juniors; they can loan him there directly (and would have the option to put him back on the NHL roster after).

50 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I honestly think a games off and then back in the lineup might do the trick.  I don't think it has to be drastic.

We're often told that the bird's-eye view of watching the game can help a struggling young player. And rest never hurts. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic