2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't get this trade for the Kings.... Cammalleri has 7 points in 15 games... Jokinen is more expensive and has 1 in 14.

It is the Squid...nough said.

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't get this trade for the Kings.... Cammalleri has 7 points in 15 games... Jokinen is more expensive and has 1 in 14.

I had a front row seat to 4 of those 7 points which came in one game, against the Habs. 

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎15 at 5:32 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I had a front row seat to 4 of those 7 points which came in one game, against the Habs. 

OUCH!!!:blink:

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

There's a nice point there about stats. Reminds me of Jan Bulis and Lars Eller, whose totals would be inflated by 1-2 super-productive games - which made it fatally easy for some observers to kid themselves that these guys had 'offensive upside.' If you subtract that 4-point explosion, Squid has 3 points in 14 games, which suggests that the flashy sniper we knew is done like dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

To New Jersey :  Vatanen + conditional pick

To Anaheim :  Henrique, Blandisi + 3rd pick

This seems like a good hockey trade. Something you can afford to do when you have the defensive depth that Anaheim has.

40 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Ovechkin passes Recchi in just over 700 fewer games.

another reason why Dr. Recchi doesn't belong in the Hall.

13 hours ago, DON said:

Ovechkin...great player but not CLUTCH :lol:

It feels wrong to me that Guy Lafleur is not on that list. Then again, you see Mike Bossy - easily a top-10 all-time NHL goal scorer, possibly *the* greatest pure goal scorer the NHL ever produced - at number 22, and you realize that longevity and GP heavily shapes this list.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ovechkin...great player but not CLUTCH :lol:

It feels wrong to me that Guy Lafleur is not on that list. Then again, you see Mike Bossy - easily a top-10 all-time NHL goal scorer, possibly *the* greatest pure goal scorer the NHL ever produced - at number 22, and you realize that longevity and GP heavily shapes this list.

Bossy's goals-per-game ratio is insane. Right up there with Lemieux.

The thing that I noticed about that list right away is how many right hand shots there are, 14 out of 22 (64%). I don't have the numbers, but I imagine that there are way more lefties than righties that ever played the game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, illWill said:

The thing that I noticed about that list right away is how many right hand shots there are, 14 out of 22 (64%). I don't have the numbers, but I imagine that there are way more lefties than righties that ever played the game. 

Vast majority players are LH shots, also just anecdotal observation; however in general population only 10% are left-handed.

It feels foreign to me to shoot lefty, but that's what I'm "supposed" to do as a right hand dominant person. At least that's what coaching tells us, and is apparently true with all the LH shooters out there. I guess I now know while I'm still a never signed UFA at 46.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Vast majority players are LH shots, also just anecdotal observation; however in general population only 10% are left-handed.

RH/LH shots are culturally based. 

Canada is more lefties.  Kids grab hockey sticks young and at that age the dominant hand becomes the top hand in most cases

America traditionally is more righties.  Many kids start baseball before hockey, the dominant hand becomes the bottom hand on a baseball bat and that translates to hockey. 

Different european nations have different culture practices that have led them to be righty or lefty dominant. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

America traditionally is more righties.  Many kids start baseball before hockey, the dominant hand becomes the bottom hand on a baseball bat and that translates to hockey. 

The dominant hand is the top hand when swinging a baseball bat.  Maybe you mean further from the nub of the bat/stick.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

The dominant hand is the top hand when swinging a baseball bat.  Maybe you mean further from the nub of the bat/stick.

By "dominant hand" i meant not on the bat... but that person's dominant hand..... ie most people being naturally right handed. 

When a right handed child first starts swining a baseball bat... they put their right hang further from the nub. 

The NHL has approved a conditional expansion process for Seattle.  They'll be allowed to do a season ticket drive like Vegas was to gauge interest in the market and have set a fee of $650 million.  Unlike the Vegas expansion, this isn't open to other applications.  It looks like 2020-21 is the target year for them to start.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic