2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

I started hockey and baseball the same year.

I play hockey as a lefty.
I throw, eat, write and does everything that involves only 1 hand with the right hand.
I'm a lefty at golf and baseball.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:31 PM, huzer said:

It feels foreign to me to shoot lefty, but that's what I'm "supposed" to do as a right hand dominant person. At least that's what coaching tells us, and is apparently true with all the LH shooters out there. I guess I now know while I'm still a never signed UFA at 46.

For many years I wondered what it was about hockey that drew such a high percentage of lefties to the sport before I finally learned that, haha.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 3:58 PM, JoeLassister said:

I started hockey and baseball the same year.

I play hockey as a lefty.
I throw, eat, write and does everything that involves only 1 hand with the right hand.
I'm a lefty at golf and baseball.

ditto

When I play nets, my preference is to play as a righty, even catching right handed. I can play the position with either hand, though. Baseball, I catch with my left hand, throw right. I’m somewhat ambidextrous though, I can bat either hand, throw either hand, write, etc. Not as good with my non dominant hand, but passable.

Tied with Bruins for 3rd, but Bruins have 4 games in hand.

Habs only have 30pts after 30gms and likely need at least 96 for playoffs.

To get there will need to go something like 32-16-2 or better...is that realistic, given the lack of scoring up front (26th in g/gm)?:spamafote:

11-6-3 after their first ten games, and 5-1-1 since Price returned. I think that’s more indicative of how they’ll play for the remainder of the season. That puts them battling on the cusp basically until the last day of the season. 

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Not sure 96 points will be the cutoff. 

95 was third place in the division last year, and it looks even weaker this season. 

I could see 94 being enough, but of course more is safer. 

96 94 whats 2 pts but OK, still need to basically win 2/3 of games. Do you think that is realistic for this roster? I hope so, but doubt it and think the crappy start will cost them in the end.

The fun will be the fact that the Atlantic sucks. Only three teams are getting in. Five are going to the Metro. Right now only two teams in the Atlantic have at least 15 wins. Five in the Metro have 15 wins, four in the Pacific and Central.

Montreal is currently five points behind the Penguins in the second wildcard spot, but even with Boston for the final spot in the Atlantic top three.

Five points also separate 3rd and 7th in the Atlantic. It's so smashed together.

If Toronto and Tampa stay put, it's a race for that third spot. Montreal is still in it. Don't see anyone bumping them. They'll get in, and a more deserving team in the Metro will be left out of the playoffs with less points.

1 hour ago, DON said:

96 94 whats 2 pts but OK, still need to basically win 2/3 of games. Do you think that is realistic for this roster? I hope so, but doubt it and think the crappy start will cost them in the end.

I think this roster can get 3rd in the Atlantic, yes. 

In fact I still don't think 2nd is out of the question.  The Leafs game is slipping, especially defensively.  Andersen has been really good lately but I'm not sure he can keep it up. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

In fact I still don't think 2nd is out of the question.  The Leafs game is slipping, especially defensively.  Andersen has been really good lately but I'm not sure he can keep it up. 

Nice positive take on situation. And I know they "can" go on huge run to make it, but I just don't think they will.  

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I sure hope.  I have  Andersen AND the Leafs (the team) in my fantasy pool.

53 minutes ago, DON said:

22nd place at the moment, but with more games played than everyone else, so with games in hand and no playing till Thursday, could be in 26th place by then.

What gets lost in all this scoreboard-watching is how pathetic it is that we are in this position in Year Six of the GM's 'rebuild.' I'm not saying this to bait you, DON, just pointing out how easily we lose sight of the forest for the trees when it comes to our beloved :habslogo:

18 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Sergachev has more points than any player on Habs roster....Just sayin

And Drouin on the Lightning would have more points than anyone on the Habs. I don't see your point

Guest Stogey24
27 minutes ago, illWill said:

And Drouin on the Lightning would have more points than anyone on the Habs. I don't see your point

If you think really REALLY hard, maybe you'll figure it out. 

Sergachev is a defenseman. Ding, ding, ding. No matter how one spins it, it's a bad stat for the Habs. 

As for how he'd be doing on the Habs, who knows? 

Sergachev has more points than Victor Herman. On the Habs, Weber has the highest PPG. Gallagher has 19 points and if Weber had been healthy, he'd have roughly 21 points. 

While the point was that a defenseman we traded has more points than anyone on our team, an indication of our offensive struggles, it's entirely plausible that had he been paired with Weber, and given some power play time, he'd be up there near the top in terms of points on our team based on how he is performing.

Of course, perhaps the team would have been tentative with Sergachev but considering that Mete made our top pair, it seems unlikely. 

I don't see how comparing what the Lightning are doing as a team relates to the Hab's struggles. Drouin has been good and so has Sergachev, this is what happens in high end one for one deals. We can talk about filling one hole but leaving another, but that wasn't the purpose of the original statement. I think it's fair to say Drouin would have more points on the Lightning and Sergachev would have less on the Habs. 

He is playing less than 14 minutes per night.... almost all of them weak matchups... and almost exclusively with Stamkos/Kucherov. 

Hedman is not being used all his minutes with the NHL's two leading scorers in the offensive zone.  He actually has defensive responsibility included in his minutes. 

This is why such a comparison is sillyness. 

However, if Sergachev wasn't traded and started here with similar production, HabFans would be darn excited and would likely call him untouchable.

He has such a heavy shot which should serve him well, that last goal he got was pretty sweet

2017-18 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 29 7 13 20 14 9
  • Like 1

Guest Stogey24

Who's comparing Sergechev to Drouin. All I said was he has more points than every player on Habs roster. I Just think it's funny 

Kid deserves some credit. He hasn't scored 7 goals and 20 pts in 29 games by coincidence. 19+ mins last game with a goal... doubt he puts up numbers like this with Habs, but clearly the talent is there 

No one compared Drouin to Sergachev in the innitial comment. That's the way one person interpreted it but it doesn't look to me like that was even the intention. 

We could just as easily say Drew Doughty, Alex Pietrangelo or Kris Letang all have more points than anyone on the Habs and that would have nothing to do with Drouin. But it's also less unexpected. 

As for the minutes, Will Butcher also receives less ice time and zone starts than other elite veteran defenseman, and yet it is still impressive that he has 19 points as well. Those two rookie defensemen are doing well.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic