2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

I like Drouin.

But I also think that when we're staring at the empty, gaping chasm on the LD 1st pairing for the foreseeable future that we're going to occasionally look Sergachev's way and think, "well he would have been nice..."

It's like the McDonough trade, but instead we got back a good player.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:39 PM, Trizzak said:

I like Drouin.

But I also think that when we're staring at the empty, gaping chasm on the LD 1st pairing for the foreseeable future that we're going to occasionally look Sergachev's way and think, "well he would have been nice..."

It's like the McDonough trade, but instead we got back a good player.

Actually, we got back a good player in Gomez. He was perfectly fine for the 2009-10 season, a 60-point playmaker - very much like Drouin is right now, actually. Then for some reason he forgot how to play hockey.:1vomit:

The Drouin trade is predicated on the thought that Drouin's game will continue to grow. If he stays as he is now, then it is indeed a terrible trade, because Sergy is doing well as a frigging 19 year old (!!), which suggests he will become an absolute beast.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Drouin trade is predicated on the thought that Drouin's game will continue to grow. If he stays as he is now, then it is indeed a terrible trade, because Sergy is doing well as a frigging 19 year old (!!), which suggests he will become an absolute beast.

Well I don’t think Serg offensive qualities were ever in question but like Commandant has pointed out numerous times he has little to no defensive responsibility inTampa while playing with the best offensive talent in the league right now. He could and I’m sure he will develop but that’s just as up in the air as Drouins continued development.

27 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Well I don’t think Serg offensive qualities were ever in question but like Commandant has pointed out numerous times he has little to no defensive responsibility inTampa while playing with the best offensive talent in the league right now. He could and I’m sure he will develop but that’s just as up in the air as Drouins continued development.

Yes. That said, Sergachev is 19. Three years younger than Drouin, and taking a regular shift on a contending team and racking up points, albeit in a 'managed' role - playing a position that is notoriously hard to master at the NHL level. That looks ominous to me. 

On 14/12/2017 at 4:02 PM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I need to see a healthy Drouin play the wing before I stamp the trade as bad.

But if we traded an absolute stud #1 d-man for a W, even a 70-80 point winger...is that a good trade? A big part of the justification for the deal was that Drouin can be a legit #1 C.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But if we traded an absolute stud #1 d-man for a W, even a 70-80 point winger...is that a good trade? A big part of the justification for the deal was that Drouin can be a legit #1 C.

I think we may as well accept that MB just lost another trade.  We picked up a good player, but gave up the type of player who is going to be harder to replace.  Sergechev may score more points as a 19 year old defencemen than Drouin has as an older forward.  And I’m sick of the idiotic sheltered minutes with good player argument.  I don’t see any other dman on TB piling on points.

i think our only real chance of getting a legit #1 centre is if Molson fires MB quickly and the new GM realizes that we really need to do a reset - I don’t think we need a total rebuild, as we do have some good young pieces - and move price and maxpac for younger blood.  The oilers are hurting for a goalie a winger to play with McDavid and a dman.

price, maxpac, pleks and Alzner (I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to want him given the dumb contract MB gave him),  for Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, talbot and Puljujarvi.

yeah I know, an 8 player deal is unheard of in today’s NHL, but I think it is a hockey deal that fills the need for two struggling clubs and cap wise works for both clubs. The price+mcdavid combo may get the oilers into the playoffs and we do a rebuild on the fly.  I know Price has a no move clause, but may be willing to go back to western Canada to play with McDavid and get off this sinking ship.

anyways, I can’t see MB even thinking of doing something like that, because it would be a blow to his ego that he fuxcked up during his 6 years here.  But a guy can still dream while watching this sad sack team that usually looks lousy even when they do win.

Guest Stogey24
7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think we may as well accept that MB just lost another trade.  We picked up a good player, but gave up the type of player who is going to be harder to replace.  Sergechev may score more points as a 19 year old defencemen than Drouin has as an older forward.  And I’m sick of the idiotic sheltered minutes with good player argument.  I don’t see any other dman on TB piling on points.

i think our only real chance of getting a legit #1 centre is if Molson fires MB quickly and the new GM realizes that we really need to do a reset - I don’t think we need a total rebuild, as we do have some good young pieces - and move price and maxpac for younger blood.  The oilers are hurting for a goalie a winger to play with McDavid and a dman.

price, maxpac, pleks and Alzner (I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to want him given the dumb contract MB gave him),  for Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, talbot and Puljujarvi.

yeah I know, an 8 player deal is unheard of in today’s NHL, but I think it is a hockey deal that fills the need for two struggling clubs and cap wise works for both clubs. The price+mcdavid combo may get the oilers into the playoffs and we do a rebuild on the fly.  I know Price has a no move clause, but may be willing to go back to western Canada to play with McDavid and get off this sinking ship.

anyways, I can’t see MB even thinking of doing something like that, because it would be a blow to his ego that he fuxcked up during his 6 years here.  But a guy can still dream while watching this sad sack team that usually looks lousy even when they do win.

Just think, if we didn't sign Alzner, we could have afforded to have Radulov and Markov on this team. 

19 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Just think, if we didn't sign Alzner, we could have afforded to have Radulov and Markov on this team. 

It is to weep.:1vomit: Put it that way and it's mismanagement of Houle-ean proportions.

Meanwhile, Habs29's scenario will never happen, but he is dead right that the only way this team wins anything is if it makes some truly bold, core-redefining moves. The trade he describes describes actually makes some sense for both teams; but if I'm EDM I prefer to gamble that my goaltending will get better rather than make such a cataclysmic move. Unlike the Habs, they have all the time in the world.

As for the Habs, winning is not their priority, just scaping into the playoffs and keeping management employed is. So high-risk high-reward moves intended to redefine the core so as to make it contend are very unlikely.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can't see Bergevin doing that trade either, largely because there's no way Edmonton would remotely consider it.  I'm not sure that the Oilers actually get much better in that trade (not to mention that it pushes them into a win this year or next or bust situation) and giving Montreal two top-six centres wouldn't trigger a rebuild.  If the Habs can't use Plekanec as a top-six centre, why would Edmonton?  (And that's essentially what you've proposed here...)

In other news, Chris Neil retired earlier this week and his agent revealed that it was Claude Julien that was really pushing for the Habs to sign him over the summer but Bergevin only offered a PTO. http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/390d4044-bb4e-453a-9309-fef8d7527bca|_0.html

On 12/15/2017 at 10:27 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It isn't a perfect comparison but would you trade Alex Tanguay for Jay Bouwmeester back in 2004?

I'll be honest, I didn't think Sergachev would be ready like this. So I wasn't against the trade immediately. And even if the team ultimately looks bad on the deal, I can see Drouin be the new number one winger in Montreal when Pacioretty finally gets shipped out. But selling him as a potential number one centre was a mistake, as it just made this trade look worse when it didn't have to.

Guest Stogey24

Radulov, Subban, Galchenyuk, Markov, Pacioretty, Hudon, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Danult, Mete, Sergachev, 

That could be the core of this team right now, if Bergevin didn't make the moves he did. Plekanec should have been dealt for cap. 

Markov-Subban

Sergachev- Petry

Mete- Benn

The defense has a completely different look and can actually create offense. 

25 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Radulov, Subban, Galchenyuk, Markov, Pacioretty, Hudon, Lehkonen, Gallagher, Danult, Mete, Sergachev, 

That could be the core of this team right now, if Bergevin didn't make the moves he did. Plekanec should have been dealt for cap. 

Markov-Subban

Sergachev- Petry

Mete- Benn

The defense has a completely different look and can actually create offense happen . 

There are few greater indictments of a GM than being able to show that pretty conclusively that the team would have been better if he had NOT made his moves. (Of course, the case of Radulov is tricky, since MB deserves praise for having lured him here in the first place, while also fully deserving anathemas for having let him walk).

One thing *is* worth adding, though - and it's a tepid note in his defence; but our FW unit would look significantly better if Galchenyuk was playing as he did for most of the past 2-3 years. His evaporation under Julien deprives us of a legit top-6 offensive force and makes the FW unit look even more hapless than it otherwise would.

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Well coaches take precedence over players in this organization, so Chucky will be gone in due time. 

No question. He will almost certainly be moved, and probably for pennies on the dollar.

Guest Stogey24
11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question. He will almost certainly be moved, and probably for pennies on the dollar.

He will excel somewhere else. No question. As will Pacioretty 

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

He will excel somewhere else. No question. As will Pacioretty 

I'm not convinced he will excel elsewhere. I'm one of two seasons away from branding him as AK47 2.0. He makes dumb individual choices more often than not. 

15 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I'm not convinced he will excel elsewhere. I'm one of two seasons away from branding him as AK47 2.0. He makes dumb individual choices more often than not. 

Well, we know that he can produce. He did so pretty consistently under MT.

What always worried me about Galchenyuk is his hockey IQ. He has always been a player with great individual skills, but I was never convinced that he could see the ice, read the play, or use his teammates at even an average NHL level on a game-in, game-out basis. Instead he is a 'torpedo' whose instinct is always to make the individual play. I remember playing rec hockey with guys like that...they were incredibly frustrating ;) You'd work like hell to get open, you'd be screaming "pass! pass! slot!! slot!!!" and they'd be diddling around trying to skate through five guys.

But what we've seen under Julien is not even that player. He is no longer making those individual plays, nor is he using his deadly shot.

The X-factor here is the rumour about his substance abuse issues. He wouldn't be the first talented player to be destroyed by addiction.

Well looks like the Isles are getting a new arena. I think that will probably remove Tavares from the UFA market.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic