2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well looks like the Isles are getting a new arena. I think that will probably remove Tavares from the UFA market.

When they had the plans for the arena, they went to Tavares house to show him, then went public. 

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Tavares was ever a consideration... much like Stamkos, I always expected him to re-sign.  These guys just don't move. 

Fair enough...but my question remains legit! 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Fair enough...but my question remains legit! 

They have a ton of cap room.  They have to acquire a centre. 

The obvious one is RNH who the Oilers likely have to move before next season.  

Other possibilities are Ryan O'Reilly who is in Buffalo rumours. 

Free Agents include Jonathan Marchessault, Paul Stastny,  Mikael Backlund, Tyler Bozak, 

Bergevin has to get it done.  There are simply no more excuses here. 

1 hour ago, huzer said:

Looking at that least, it appears that the Habs would basically be getting back to Plex when he was productive. Not a bad thing, as it helps where the Habs currently have a massive black hole.

I thought the same thing.

It'd help, but then again none of those guys, except maybe ROR, are top-tier #1 C. I also think this team has a #1 D-man and a bunch of #4-5 guys. Would we vault to contender status by adding a 50-60 point C? More likely it would return us to our default setting of being a solid playoff team unlikely to get to the Semi-Finals. Now if we could add a ROR *and* a top-pairing puck-moving defenceman, then we might enter the conversation. Might.

Out of the free agents, I’d only want Stastny. He’d help with Drouin and Pacioretty on his wing if we were to go that route.

RNH would be fine, but he’s similar to Drouin in a lot of their respective negatives and considering RNH would look to be an important piece, I don’t feel resssured by what he has so far to “accomplished” during his tenure in Edmonton. 

Ryan O’Reilly would change the look of our offense and if those are the pickings, he would be my first choice. Of course, unlike Stastny, we’d be giving away something good in return. 

1) O’Reilly

2) Stastny

3) Nuge

6 minutes ago, huzer said:

What do the Habs have to offer for ROR? Or RNH? We talk about the dearth of prospects and the poorly performing top 6. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen? A Plex rental? Doesn't seem terribly likely there. Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd?

Well, I don't know. It seems to me that between Galy, Gally, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, this year's first-rounder (which is likely to be a top-10 pick), etc. - there probably are the assets there to intrigue either BUF or EDM. O'Reilly would be harder to prise away, of course.

I seen some reports on TSN Christmas Eve that Alexander Burmistrov is retiring.  It's not big news, but it seems strange given his age and the fact that he was so highly regarded (not that he has realized that potential or seems to be on track to realize it) if it's true.  Anybody know why he's calling it quits so early in his career?

32 minutes ago, John B said:

I seen some reports on TSN Christmas Eve that Alexander Burmistrov is retiring.  It's not big news, but it seems strange given his age and the fact that he was so highly regarded (not that he has realized that potential or seems to be on track to realize it) if it's true.  Anybody know why he's calling it quits so early in his career?

He is leaving in order to go play in the KHL - which is quite a different matter from hanging up his skates. In terms of reasons why, I suspect it's a combination of never having felt fully comfortable in Canada - we have to remember we're talking about young people away from home, in a different culture with a different language - not being a regular in the lineup and scuffling on the fringes of the Canucks, and playing on a team that has suffered some unbelievably bad luck with injuries and is consequently absolutely terrible; losing night after night probably makes for an unpleasant experience. He has an easy 'out' that removes the need to stick with it with dogged determination.

It must be pretty painful for the Canuckleheads, since they also lost highly-touted Nikita Tryamkin to the KHL this summer. That's some significant loss of depth and talent for a team that's still rebuilding. I would not be surprised if they adopt a 'no Russians' policy in drafting going forward.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:23 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I don't know. It seems to me that between Galy, Gally, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, this year's first-rounder (which is likely to be a top-10 pick), etc. - there probably are the assets there to intrigue either BUF or EDM. O'Reilly would be harder to prise away, of course.

O'Rielly should be the target if he is in fact available, and yes he will cost us the most, but we have reached a point where the cost is no longer the issue. If we viable have assets that Buffalo is willing to take in a trade, no matter how costly, if there is something that we can put together to get them to say yes, it should be done.

We have cap space, we have multiple picks in the first 2 rounds of the draft, we have young assets in the roster or swimming back and forth between the minors and the NHL. All of which must be considered available for a guy like O'Rielly, this window to get competitive and get something done is shrinking with or without the lacking strong Center line. We have to throw everything but the kitchen sink at this group for the next few years, and if it does in fact fail, at least you have left yourself with no other viable choice but a full re-build. We failed to bolster this thing during the off season and it has been biting us in the butt since, stern negotiations, patience, and overestimation of current assets have put us in this position. Smack in the middle of what was supposed to be a window we should try to take full advantage of, we have essentially wasted a year of that window mismanaging and tripping over ourselves because of the sins of the summer.

Not being anything less than overly aggressive in pursuit of player of the caliber of O'Rielly would be a farce in the current situation, or any other quality top 6 center that is or may become available in the near future. From Tavares to O'Rielly and Stasny or RNH, we need to add to this Center line desperately, and we need to aim and try hard to the add top quality guys first before we move down the list. But make no mistake, any of those assets is better than status quo, and we have been in status quo since June 28th, and it has been a frustrating journey thus far.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He is leaving in order to go play in the KHL - which is quite a different matter from hanging up his skates. In terms of reasons why, I suspect it's a combination of never having felt fully comfortable in Canada - we have to remember we're talking about young people away from home, in a different culture with a different language - not being a regular in the lineup and scuffling on the fringes of the Canucks, and playing on a team that has suffered some unbelievably bad luck with injuries and is consequently absolutely terrible; losing night after night probably makes for an unpleasant experience. He has an easy 'out' that removes the need to stick with it with dogged determination.

It must be pretty painful for the Canuckleheads, since they also lost highly-touted Nikita Tryamkin to the KHL this summer. That's some significant loss of depth and talent for a team that's still rebuilding. I would not be surprised if they adopt a 'no Russians' policy in drafting going forward.

They let Burmistrov walk.  They are happy enough to get him off the books.  He's terrible. 

25th place and floundering, Feel bad for those working hard and playing well, but season appears toast and they can safely book their mid-April tee times. Unless you believe 27-14-4 is doable with this roster and 94 pts get you in, but looks more like will need 96-98pts.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

25th place and floundering, Feel bad for those working hard and playing well, but season appears toast and they can safely book their mid-April tee times. Unless you believe 27-14-4 is doable with this roster and 94 pts get you in, but looks more like will need 96-98pts.

The incredible Marc Bergevin has given us 

-missed playoffs (2016)

-first round exit (2017)

-almost certainly a missed playoff (2018)

during the prime years of the team's core. With little help coming from the system in the foreseeable future.

There is no reason for his services to be retained after this season. Not a single argument to be made for keeping him. Zero.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic