2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The rumoured price was Galchenyuk/Sergachev/1st.

If that or even a part of that is true, then this is a situation that we should applaud Bergevin for not trying to acquire a top 6 center. 

It's easy to say from the sidelines that he did or didn't do something, but nobody really knows how the phone calls actually go. 

4 hours ago, illWill said:

If that or even a part of that is true, then this is a situation that we should applaud Bergevin for not trying to acquire a top 6 center. 

It's easy to say from the sidelines that he did or didn't do something, but nobody really knows how the phone calls actually go. 

Everyone knew* Duchene was a stupid price for a guy that was getting progressively worse each season. Meanwhile Brayden Schenn was just waiting to break out and was available, and the team has twice traded their top defensive player and top defensive prospect and neither trade brought a need at centre in return.

Bergevin has also done no favours by limiting himself internally by refusing to allow Galchenyuk to play centre, and just looks thirsty every time he calls a team about their centre. There's no mystery. Montreal is desperate for one. He could have paid a little extra in 2013 or 2014, but by 2017 and 2018, he's gonna have to eat dirt if he wants a centre. No GM is going to trade with Montreal for a top six centre without making Montreal empty their warchest. And that's on Bergevin. 

*There's a lot of people who banked on Duchene turning it around once he got out of Colorado, but it ended up being Colorado who turned it around without Duchene. MacKinnon could win the Hart. Peter Dorion told Joe Sakic when he first got the job in the Capital that if he ever wanted to trade Duchene, to call him first. Sakic knew better than anyone he could get everything he wanted from the Sens, and he was right.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Friedman:

Duclair to Hawks perhaps.

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's a done deal. 

Good news for any Habs fan that wanted Duclair is that now that he's a Blackhawk, Bergevin is more likely to covet him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Easy win for Chicago.. not sure why we couldn't have shipped two nobodys and got him. 

He had a great rookie season. 

His last two years have been trash

Not sure where he fits on this roster or why we would want him. 

This team needs centres and puck moving left handed defence.  There already is a glut of wingers who are better than him on this roster. 

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

He had a great rookie season. 

His last two years have been trash

Not sure where he fits on this roster or why we would want him. 

This team needs centres and puck moving left handed defence.  There already is a glut of wingers who are better than him on this roster. 

I get we have too many wingers, but if a trade is made for a Centre you are likely losing at least one winger.. you could have added Duclair for next to nothing and had him take a spot once another trade was made. 

42 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

I get we have too many wingers, but if a trade is made for a Centre you are likely losing at least one winger.. you could have added Duclair for next to nothing and had him take a spot once another trade was made. 

Meh, I'd rather call up Scherbak... or let Carr play more than 4th line minutes, etc...

Duclair is not that good offensively (though like Panik he'll probably score if put on a line with Toews, and given lots of PP time).  I just don't think he's better than what we have, and is too much of a defensive liability to be a bottom 6. 

Beloved former Habs Rene Bourque, Maxim Lapierre, Christian Thomas and Ben Scrivens will try to capture Canada's third straight gold medal at the Olympics. 

Man I hate Bettman

• Upvote 1

I don't understand what the thinking is with Bergevin and Julien.  The season is lost.  Done,  Finished.  There is no hope of making the playoffs.  

So....  the obvious plan is to prepare for the future.

Forgetting trades - finally put Galchenyuk at centre and leave him there for the rest of the season.  Give it a real/honest chance.  Not two games, then the fourth line...

Why not try this - and let it stick:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Byron - Danualt - Gallagher

Lekhonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Carr - Deslauriers - Hudon

Go with that until the end of the year and see what happens.  Confidence builds, players develop chemistry, real assessments can be made, and WE CAN'T DO ANY WORSE!!!

As for the defence - close our eyes and pray!  There is no help there. 

5 minutes ago, titanfan said:

I don't understand what the thinking is with Bergevin and Julien.  The season is lost.  Done,  Finished.  There is no hope of making the playoffs.  

So....  the obvious plan is to prepare for the future.  

Forgetting trades - finally put Galchenyuk at centre and leave him there for the rest of the season.  Give it a real/honest chance.  Not two games, then the fourth line...

Why not try this - and let it stick:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Byron - Danualt - Gallagher

Lekhonen - Plekanec - Shaw

Carr - Deslauriers - Hudon

Go with that until the end of the year and see what happens.  Confidence builds, players develop chemistry, real assessments can be made, and WE CAN'T DO ANY WORSE!!!

As for the defence - close our eyes and pray!  There is no help there. 

I agree with planning for the future. 

I agree with moving Galchenyuk to centre. 

Why does that mean Drouin moves to wing.  Why not try and continue developing them as your #1 and #2 Centres.

Why is Deslauriers being moved to centre after playing wing all year?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I agree with planning for the future. 

I agree with moving Galchenyuk to centre. 

Why does that mean Drouin moves to wing.  Why not try and continue developing them as your #1 and #2 Centres.

Why is Deslauriers being moved to centre after playing wing all year?

I have no problem moving Drouin to centre as well.  I would just like to see what Galchenyuk and Drouin can do together.

As for the fourth line, you are right.  Maybe:

Carr - Froese - Deslauriers

14 minutes ago, titanfan said:

I have no problem moving Drouin to centre as well.  I would just like to see what Galchenyuk and Drouin can do together.

As for the fourth line, you are right.  Maybe:

Carr - Froese - Deslauriers

I'd have

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Byron
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - Plekanec - Carr

at least until Plekanec is traded. 

Julien is using his fourth line a lot anyways. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd have

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Drouin - Byron
Hudon - Danault - Shaw
Deslauriers - Plekanec - Carr

Julien is using his fourth line a lot anyways. 

That works too.  Same 12 guys as my original post, just different configurations. 

The only thing for me, I guess, is that I want to give Galchenyuk the best chance to succeed and if he and Drouin could catch fire it could be the turning point in his career.  He has already played with Gallagher a lot and I was thinking of giving him a new look - since it isn';t about winning anymore, it is about development.

Still wish they had thrown $1 million at Yakupov instead of Hemsky...    If those two could recapture some magic.....

I for one am sick and tired of the follies with Galchenyuk. The expression is, "beggars can't be choosers." Montreal's situation at C is a league-wide joke. Yes, Galchenyuk is defensively inadequate at C. Well, every other option is offensively inadequate, and Galy is more productive at C than W anyhow. The refusal to play him at C makes a bad situation worse and is a completely manufactured "problem" flowing from an anal-retentive over-coaching mentality.

If we had Galy and Drouin at C, we'd still lose a lot of games, but at least other teams would have to think twice about the sheer amount of natural offensive talent down the middle. A partial answer is staring them in the face and Julien is too stubborn or blinkered to see it.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I for one am sick and tired of the follies with Galchenyuk. The expression is, "beggars can't be choosers." Montreal's situation at C is a league-wide joke. Yes, Galchenyuk is defensively inadequate at C. Well, every other option is offensively inadequate, and Galy is more productive at C than W anyhow. The refusal to play him at C makes a bad situation worse and is a completely manufactured "problem" flowing from an anal-retentive over-coaching mentality.

If we had Galy and Drouin at C, we'd still lose a lot of games, but at least other teams would have to think twice about the sheer amount of natural offensive talent down the middle. A partial answer is staring them in the face and Julien is too stubborn or blinkered to see it.

Bergevin said Galchenyuk isn't a centre, so he's not. Simple as that.

If Galchenyuk goes back to Centre, Bergevin loses his cred'. 

2 hours ago, titanfan said:

That works too.  Same 12 guys as my original post, just different configurations. 

The only thing for me, I guess, is that I want to give Galchenyuk the best chance to succeed and if he and Drouin could catch fire it could be the turning point in his career.  He has already played with Gallagher a lot and I was thinking of giving him a new look - since it isn';t about winning anymore, it is about development.

Still wish they had thrown $1 million at Yakupov instead of Hemsky...    If those two could recapture some magic.....

That line that i put together?  its the line that caught fire at the end of the 2015-16 season, leading to him scoring 30 goals. 

there was a reason i did that. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Bergevin said Galchenyuk isn't a centre, so he's not. Simple as that.

If Galchenyuk goes back to Centre, Bergevin loses his cred'. 

Are you saying Bergevin has cred?  I'd say he lost that a longgggg time ago.

21 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Easy win for Chicago.. not sure why we couldn't have shipped two nobodys and got him. 

I agree that Chicago won but not for the same reason you did.  They win because they get out of Year 2 of Panik's deal.  Duclair probably won't be with them after the season.  I heard on the Sportsnet broadcast (OTT-TOR pregame) yesterday that Arizona was trying to practically give him away for a late round pick and had no takers.  Instead, they had to take on a fair bit more money in a bad contract to get rid of Duclair.  That says a lot.

So does this, courtesy of Arizona's GM:

When a GM is coming out publicly saying there was stuff behind the scenes after being unable to basically give him away, there's a lot more going on than we're aware of.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

What would you expect Plekanec to demand at deadline?

A 2nd pick (2018 or 2019?) and prospect?

A 2nd & a 5th in 2019?

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

When a GM is coming out publicly saying there was stuff behind the scenes after being unable to basically give him away, there's a lot more going on than we're aware of.

Bergevin said the same with Subban.

That said, I get the feeling Duclair was very unhappy in Arizona.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic