2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

Brassard to Pittsburgh for a 2018 first rounder, goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, and cap filler (sounds like Ian Cole).  That takes the Pens out of the Plekanec discussions.  Ottawa will probably flip Cole for more prospects/picks as well.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Brassard to Pittsburgh for a 2018 first rounder, goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, and cap filler (sounds like Ian Cole).  That takes the Pens out of the Plekanec discussions.  Ottawa will probably flip Cole for more prospects/picks as well.

That's a solid return for Brassard.

I don't know.

Its the best centre on the market.  He has term, and Ottawa is eating 20% of the salary. 

And the return is

a first round pick likely to be at the bottom of the round (25-31)
a goalie prospect who looks good... but is 19.... as I've said many times, goalie prospects are voodoo... thats no sure thing.  He was a late 2nd rounder in 2016

Ian Cole (who you likely flip for a late 2nd rounder)

There is nothing in that package that is a sure fire NHLer... and you did it while eating salary, on a guy who wasn't that expensive to begin with, at a premium position, with supply and demand on your side. 

I've gotta say, Dorion might be worse than Bergevin on his last few deals.  (this trade, Duchene, Burrows for Dahlen), 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

I don't know.

Its the best centre on the market.  He has term, and Ottawa is eating 80% of the salary. 

And the return is

a first round pick likely to be at the bottom of the round (25-31)
a goalie prospect who looks good... but is 19.... as I've said many times, goalie prospects are voodoo... thats no sure thing.  He was a late 2nd rounder in 2016

Ian Cole (who you likely flip for a late 2nd rounder)

There is nothing in that package that is a sure fire NHLer... and you did it while eating salary, on a guy who wasn't that expensive to begin with, at a premium position, with supply and demand on your side. 

I've gotta say, Dorion might be worse than Bergevin on his last few deals.  (this trade, Duchene, Burrows for Dahlen), 

If the flip of Cole goes as you said, they got a 1st, a 2nd, and a goaltending prospect for a 3rd line center.  Even eating some money, that seems pretty good.

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

If the flip of Cole goes as you said, they got a 1st, a 2nd, and a goaltending prospect for a 3rd line center.  Even eating some money, that seems pretty good.

He's a third on Pittsburgh.

He was a second in New York, was a second in Ottawa, his production levels are a solid second liner on most teams in the NHL.  Not everyone has Crosby/Malkin.

Just now, Commandant said:

He's a third on Pittsburgh.

He was a second in New York, was a second in Ottawa, his production levels are a solid second liner on most teams in the NHL.  Not everyone has Crosby/Malkin.

True...and were he to come to Montreal, he'd be our first line center.  It's all relative.

There isn't going to be a big difference between the Sens pick from this trade, and the sens 2nd rounder they gave up to the new york rangers to get Brassard originally.  (now belongs to Detroit via Brendan Smith deal)

That trade was Brassard and 2018 2nd rounder for Zibanejad and 2018 7th,  which is pretty awful from dorion. 

Basically, the Sens moved Zibanejad for

Moving from the very early 2nd up to late first round in 2018 (basically ~5 draft spots)
Gustavsson
Cole
NYR 7th round pick

And ottawa eats 18% of brassards contract next year. 

Unrelated to the Brassard trade being vetoed by the league, Scott Wedgewood is on waivers today.  If the Habs have any inclination of trading Niemi, I would not be surprised if they try to claim Wedgewood who would then serve as the backup to Lindgren while Price is out.  (Basically, the same thought process that landed them Niemi in the first place.)

15 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Supposedly the big reason Dorion is in trade everyone mode is he went to the locker room to deliver a speech to everyone and they wouldn't turn the music down.

Wow ! I mean it seems small on the surface but I belies something huge internally. Question is, is it Dorion or the players who should really be going? 

They gave up the treasury for duchene. Then they flipped brassard shorty after acquiring him for zibanajad (who arguably is as valuable as duchene at this point.) A year removed from a conference finals, what a poop show.

24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Supposedly the big reason Dorion is in trade everyone mode is he went to the locker room to deliver a speech to everyone and they wouldn't turn the music down.

Is it any surprise Phaneuf was the first one gone?

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic