2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

Ya just listening to it now. It is interesting 

its too bad that Carbo doesn’t have any management experience. Sounds like he would make a good GM.  

Actually You know what.....I never thought I would ever say this, but I bet that Pierre Maguire would make a very good GM.  

I listen to TSN Montreal radio all the time and he certainly seems to know what he is talking about most of the time.   

The Brassard deal is now official.  Ottawa gets out of retaining any salary on Brassard and gets the 1st, Cole, Gustavsson, and a 2019 3rd as well (all from PIT).  Brassard was technically flipped to Vegas first who then retained 40% of his contract in exchange for Ryan Reaves and a 4th rounder (both from PIT).  

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Brassard deal is now official.  Ottawa gets out of retaining any salary on Brassard and gets the 1st, Cole, Gustavsson, and a 2019 3rd as well (all from PIT).  Brassard was technically flipped to Vegas first who then retained 40% of his contract in exchange for Ryan Reaves and a 4th rounder (both from PIT).  

Wow that’s a lot for pit to give up. 

That deal is straight up hilarious. Rutherford should win GM of the year for it alone. Only reason Vegas got involved was to stop Brassard from going to Winnipeg. Just hilarious. Best part was Ryan Reaves since people still try to claim he brings something to the table.

It actually took three separate trades to make this happen:

1) VGK trades Tobias Lindberg to OTT for Derick Brassard, Vincent Dunn, and OTT's 2018 3rd

2) VGK trades Brassard, Dunn, and the OTT pick to PIT for Ryan Reaves and VAN's 2018 4th

3) OTT trades Lindberg to PIT for Ian Cole, Filip Gustavsson, PIT's 2018 1st, and PIT's 2019 3rd

Considering Lindberg has been a bust, at least he can say he has been involved in some pretty big trades in his career (he was part of the Phaneuf to Ottawa swap a couple of years ago as well).

18 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Unrelated to the Brassard trade being vetoed by the league, Scott Wedgewood is on waivers today.  If the Habs have any inclination of trading Niemi, I would not be surprised if they try to claim Wedgewood who would then serve as the backup to Lindgren while Price is out.  (Basically, the same thought process that landed them Niemi in the first place.)

Wedgewood cleared so that might lower Niemi's odds of being dealt.  Unless they think Price will be back in the next little while, I have a hard time thinking they'll run with a Lindgren-Fucale tandem for the next six weeks.  (They won't want to give Lindgren every game and Fucale is nowhere near ready or worthy of an NHL appearance.)

Just now, Chris said:

he's been waived i think 3 times this year. 

he won't be traded unless a throw in on a bigger deal. 

He has been waived a couple of times already but he has played a lot better with the Habs than he did in his first two stops.  If a team is looking for a depth goalie, Niemi may actually be the best one available (which still doesn't say a whole lot).  I don't think he'd be a throw-in on a bigger deal - if he goes, it'd be for a late-round pick; those types of players don't typically get included in larger-scale deals.

Brandon Davidson to the Islanders for a 2019 3rd rounder.  I'm shocked he had that type of value considering he hasn't even been an every-game player in Edmonton.  That stings a bit considering the Habs lost him for free on waivers.  (It also shows that the Oilers were the only team that claimed him at the time which looks that much worse for the Isles.)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He has been waived a couple of times already but he has played a lot better with the Habs than he did in his first two stops.  If a team is looking for a depth goalie, Niemi may actually be the best one available (which still doesn't say a whole lot).  I don't think he'd be a throw-in on a bigger deal - if he goes, it'd be for a late-round pick; those types of players don't typically get included in larger-scale deals.

I'd target the Kings.  Niemi has more experience than Wedgewood and Campbell.

1 minute ago, John B said:

I'd target the Kings.  Niemi has more experience than Wedgewood and Campbell.

They're an option although I think they genuinely believe Campbell is ready (he'll be the backup next year).  I wonder about Calgary - Mike Smith is hurt and David Rittich doesn't have any real experience.  Vegas makes a bit of sense as well with Subban on IR; Maxime Lagace is the current backup and he has been brutal when called upon this season.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Wow, i think spooner has as many points as Nash, and a 1st. crazy. 

I also believe Nash's playoff prowess rivals that of captain clutch. 

Boston is nuts

Jesus, that is a POS trade from Boston.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, GMs are not the brightest lights on the tree. They often seem to be just as dazzled by the Big Name as fans are, they often seem to adopt a naively uncritical view of players outside of their organization while devaluing guys they've developed, and they often fail to factor age and player decline into their calculations. See Bergevin, Marc.

Boston's trade acumen is pretty terrible - that they are a successful team is a real tribute to their drafting and development.

I wouldn't have minded Spooner on the Habs. Oh well.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic