2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

7 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I think ESPN is going to go after the NHL in 2021. Since they bought into the company involved in NHL.tv, they've actually advertised the service all season. Now yesterday they simulcast TSN's trade deadline coverage. 

They also did the World Cup of Hockey last year. 

This has been in the works at least 2 years. 

38 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Eric Staal and Granlund are unreal right now.

Respectively  10 and 8 points in their last 3 games.

Eric steal is the poster boy for a player that needed  a change of scenery. Man he looked like his career was over in Carolina.

36 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Eric steal is the poster boy for a player that needed  a change of scenery. Man he looked like his career was over in Carolina.

It seemed like he needed a change of scenery out of Carolina, but it seemed like he was washed up in New York. I wonder how he would have done as a Hab...

50 minutes ago, illWill said:

It seemed like he needed a change of scenery out of Carolina, but it seemed like he was washed up in New York. I wonder how he would have done as a Hab...

Forgot he got trade to New York 

The Central division is ridiculous. Reminds me of the Northeast in 93-94 when expansion pushed the Penguins there and you had Pittsburgh, (91-92 Cup champs) Montreal (93 Cup champs), Boston (90 final, Bourque and Oates), Buffalo (Hasek Hart),  and Quebec (Sakic and Sundin) all in the same division. 

18 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The Central division is ridiculous. Reminds me of the Northeast in 93-94 when expansion pushed the Penguins there and you had Pittsburgh, (91-92 Cup champs) Montreal (93 Cup champs), Boston (90 final, Bourque and Oates), Buffalo (Hasek Hart),  and Quebec (Sakic and Sundin) all in the same division. 

Ha ha, yeah, those were some crazy days. You had a situation where major Cup contenders were guaranteed to be eliminated in the first round, because they had to play each other. I used to lament that we were stuck in that division, but then again the competition might have made the team stronger and more battle-hardened.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha ha, yeah, those were some crazy days. You had a situation where major Cup contenders were guaranteed to be eliminated in the first round, because they had to play each other. I used to lament that we were stuck in that division, but then again the competition might have made the team stronger and more battle-hardened.

Montreal had this shadow over them in the 90s that they couldn't beat Boston. I think that was their big Achilles heel. Boston had their number. But that could have been a year that Montreal finally beat the Bruins because Moog had an awful year and awful playoffs and Neely was a mess. The Sabres made easy work of them and I wonder if Montreal would have too. Pittsburgh was also beatable because Montreal was #2 to them in the league to Pittsburgh in early March. What the Islanders did to them in outshooting them for most of the series with Kasparitis turning into Subban and shutting Jagr and Lemieux mostly down, I think Montreal could have done that. 93 was their year. They get too much flack because they went cold at the end of the season. 

94 could have been too but Roy got sick. I think they had a real shot, especially in beating the Rangers. They were 2-1-1 against the Rangers in the season and every game was decided by one goal. Healthy Roy, Savard replaces Lebeau instead of just trading him for a backup, I think they could have got back to the final. By 95 their top six guys aside from Damphousse were starting to fall apart. Trading for Turgeon was genius. Recchi not so much. The losses on defence were starting to catch up, but if they kept Desjardins and Leclair while still doing the Turgeon/Malakhov trade I think they would have made the playoffs (and not been so bad on the road that the only teams they could beat were Ottawa and Florida). But it's all history now.

If Eugene Melnyk ever sells the Senators, he may have a career in joke writing.  From his letter to season ticket holders today:

“When I came on board, the Ottawa Senators were in deep financial trouble. Together, with your support, we brought this team back to life and we have had Canada’s most successful NHL on-ice performance over the past 15 years."

In the past 15 years, how many of those have the team not been in financial trouble?  This team has come back to life so much under the trap-and-trap-some-more system of Guy Boucher to the point where they couldn't sell out in the playoffs last year and actually removed seats this season in an effort to try to create more demand for tickets (which failed considerably). 

"Backed by Ottawa fans and the entire community, I have demonstrated my commitment to giving you the best possible team over and over again."

:rofl:  If by demonstrating commitment, you mean slashing payroll, running highly-respected veterans out of town (players and off-ice staff), and showing complete and utter disdain for your fanbase by putting your foot in your mouth virtually every time you speak publicly, then yes, you've succeeded.  I wonder if the definition of the word commitment is different in Barbados (where he lived until he ran the team president out of town and put himself in that spot to cut more costs).

• Upvote 1

I think what he was doing was combining two points to make them sound related. Yes, the Senators were in deep financial trouble when he took over. And yes, over the past 15 years it's either the Senators or the Canucks for most successful Canadian team on ice. But to try to connect the two together is silly.

It's also funny to point out that Guy Boucher is by far the least paid coach in the NHL.

Living in Ottawa since 2000, Melnik's words would make me despise the Sens if I cared.

McLean and Boucher were/are pitiful. I would not be surprised if the Sens move to Quebec. Unlikely, but to me that would put an end to this sad franchise

Remember when everyone was crying for us to hire Boucher? ;)

I'd still hire Crawford, though. But his association with this disaster may be the final nail in the coffin of his NHL career.

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I think what he was doing was combining two points to make them sound related. Yes, the Senators were in deep financial trouble when he took over. And yes, over the past 15 years it's either the Senators or the Canucks for most successful Canadian team on ice. But to try to connect the two together is silly.

It's also funny to point out that Guy Boucher is by far the least paid coach in the NHL.

Not going to get into a debate here with a Preds fan but for many years it’s been the Habs and Canucks who have been the most successful teams in Canada. I always thought of the Canucks being our twin in the West. Sure, some people will define success as who has had the deepest run but in general over those 15 years, the Habs and Canucks have been the most consistently competitive teams. 

• Upvote 1

And what did I say that was wrong? That was before having looked it up, but the Habs have made the playoffs 10 out of the past 15 years and the Sens have made the playoffs 9

out of the past 10 years. They had two deep runs, whereas the Habs generally go further. 

8 for the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Not going to get into a debate here with a Preds fan but for many years it’s been the Habs and Canucks who have been the most successful teams in Canada. I always thought of the Canucks being our twin in the West. Sure, some people will define success as who has had the deepest run but in general over those 15 years, the Habs and Canucks have been the most consistently competitive teams. 

Canucks and Senators have been to the final. Vancouver won their division 7 times while Ottawa has been to the ECF twice along with their final appearance. Montreal has 0 final appearances, 2 ECF appearances, and won their division 4 times in the same timespan.

I'd put them 3rd for Canadian teams. Since 02-03 (15 years as Melnyk claimed) Montreal has missed the playoffs 4 times, Sens 4 times, Canucks 5. But hey what do I know I'm just a Predators fan.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

And what did I say that was wrong? That was before having looked it up, but the Habs have made the playoffs 10 out of the past 15 years and the Sens have made the playoffs 9

out of the past 10 years. They had two deep runs, whereas the Habs generally go further. 

8 for the Canucks.

There was nothing wrong with that part..

But I don't know why you took a potshot at another poster before saying it.... If someone joined the site "habsworld" and has been posting here for years, I don't think its fair to question their fandom. 

23 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Canucks and Senators have been to the final. Vancouver won their division 7 times while Ottawa has been to the ECF twice along with their final appearance. Montreal has 0 final appearances, 2 ECF appearances, and won their division 4 times in the same timespan.

I'd put them 3rd for Canadian teams. Since 02-03 (15 years as Melnyk claimed) Montreal has missed the playoffs 4 times, Sens 4 times, Canucks 5. But hey what do I know I'm just a Predators fan.

I guess you took it as an insult when I mentioned you as a Predators fan. I don’t like the Predators but I have nothing against you cheering them on. It wasn’t meant as an attack but when I read that Poile is the greatest out there and the Predators are so exciting from you and then you completely disregard the fact that the Habs have been the best Eastern Conference team over the past 15 years, when it’s something that is actually true, it’s clear that credit will be never be given. 

The only thing I was incorrect about was the fact that the Canucks have fallen off a cliff even more than the Habs. Maybe we’ve been the best. 

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There was nothing wrong with that part..

But I don't know why you took a potshot at another poster before saying it.... If someone joined the site "habsworld" and has been posting here for years, I don't think its fair to question their fandom. 

Definitely. It came off the wrong way. I didn’t mean to question his Habs fandom. He’s a very knowledgeable Habs fan. I just think he’s a fan of both teams and there’s nothing wrong with that. Just overhypes the Preds and overly critical on the current version of the Habs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

overly hard on the current version of the Habs.

When you see home fans boo your best forward missing on a breakaway, I suppose it is to be expected that you will find some here that are of similar cynical mindset.

1 hour ago, DON said:

When you see home fans boo your best forward missing on a breakaway, I suppose it is to be expected that you will find some here that are of similar cynical mindset.

That was more than missing on a breakaway. 

You in your figure skates could have looked prettier than what Pacioretty pulled off. 

12 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

That was more than missing on a breakaway. 

You in your figure skates could have looked prettier than what Pacioretty pulled off. 

So booing him was OK in your mind? Pretty classless to me, but Hab fans also have booed US anthem, so no surprise.

I HATE Habs fans booing their own players. Absolutely hate it. This fanbase has a long history of demonizing and scapegoating individual players and humiliating them in public. It's a cowardly form of mass bullying and is completely unacceptable - nobody should have to put up with that. These arseholes booed Saku Koivu FFS. They're a disgrace to the greatest hockey city on the planet.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic