2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

Yup, sitting 5th worst at the moment, which is about as good as should hope for after next Sat games. I think 5th worst has 8.5% odds of lottery #1 pick and 26.1% of top three pick.

Not sure odds of dropping?

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-297409174

Edited by DON
add link

12 minutes ago, DON said:

Yup, sitting 5th worst at the moment, which is about as good as should hope for after next Sat games. I think 5th worst has 8.5% odds of lottery #1 pick and 26.1% of top three pick.

Not sure odds of dropping?

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-announced/c-297409174

Vancouver is one point back. 

Ottawa and Arizona 3 points. 

Realistically 3rd - 6th is all still possible.   While its mathematically possible to be other spots... i think its not realistic.  3rd-6th i could see. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Realistically 3rd - 6th is all still possible.   While its mathematically possible to be other spots... i think its not realistic.  3rd-6th i could see. 

If we don't get 1st overall I would package our 1st round draft pick to get a top pairing LD. I don't like the alternative of picking 3rd to 6th and hoping that our development yields an impact player 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If we don't get 1st overall I would package our 1st round draft pick to get a top pairing LD. I don't like the alternative of picking 3rd to 6th and hoping that our development yields an impact player 

1st pick after missing the playoffs under Timmins.

Andrei Kostitsyn

Carey Price

Ryan McDonagh

Alex Galchenyuk

Mikhail Sergachev

There is no reason to think we won't get an impact player drafting in the top 6 of this draft. 

There is no reason to fear the development, since this player will likely never play for Lefebvre. 

I'd be more worried about the development of the 4 second round picks than the first pick. 

OK, 5th worst is probably as good as they will get and 5th before lottery is fine by me. Don't think will catch Sens and have 1 pt and 1 game in hand to play over Canucks.

Tomorrow would be sweet if Wings to win in OT vs Sens, Canucks to beat Columbus and Habs lose to Pitt (4-3) in regualtion on Sat.

I'm not worried about games in hand, when we look at the bottom of the standings.... those teams all lose more than 50% of the time, so games in hand don't mean the same as they do with winning clubs. 

Vancouver is a point back, thats all that matters.... lets cheer for them to get a win, and the Habs to lose some regulation games. 

Andrei Kostitsyn

Carey Price

Alex Galchenyuk

Mikhail Sergachev

The whole league missed the playoffs in 2005 so adding Carey there is a bit of a stretch. That was a luck of the lottery pick.

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The whole league missed the playoffs in 2005 so adding Carey there is a bit of a stretch.

More was looking at picks in the top 14.   Thats what matters... how do they do with high picks.   Add McD to my list, just realized i missed him.

if your worst mistake is a guy who still scored 27 goals in an NHL season; the other three guys are impact players, and the fourth is looking good in his rookie year. 

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

More honest would be adding McDonaugh, who we did select after missing the playoffs in 07. 

Yeah i realized that right before you mentionned it.... I missed him by mistake, not by intentional omission.

He helps prove my point... the top 14 picks are pretty good.  Out of the 5 the worst is Kostitsyn, and he was a legit top 6 forward. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah i realized that right before you mentionned it.... I missed him by mistake, not by intentional omission.

He helps prove my point... the top 14 picks are pretty good.  Out of the 5 the worst is Kostitsyn, and he was a legit top 6 forward. 

The problem with Kostistyn is that there were much much better players available and he was done in the league not even 10 years after his first game. That was poor scouting in one of the greatest drafts of all time.

It's like celebrating you took Gary Nylund when Scott Stevens and Phil Housley were still on the board. Only six players played less games than Andrei in the first round of 2003. He drafted a top six forward when he could have had a franchise forward. Whoopie.

Its still 1/5 top 15 picks.

Even then... top 15 picks bust... even in the 2003 draft... Hugh Jessiman.

Getting 4 star players... and one decent top 6er but not a star.... out of 5 top 15 picks?  I wouldn't worry too much about our top pick being a bust.   There is a pretty good chance he'll be an "impact player" (which is what the original post i replied to was worried about).

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Andrei Kostitsyn

Carey Price

Ryan McDonagh

Alex Galchenyuk

Mikhail Sergachev

There is no reason to think we won't get an impact player drafting in the top 6 of this draft. 

There is no reason to fear the development, since this player will likely never play for Lefebvre. 

I'd be more worried about the development of the 4 second round picks than the first pick. 

I am more desperate for immediate top LD help (someone to play with Weber) than a top 6 impact player when Price and Weber are 3 years older.

but you are right that the CH's picks have been good

I think the value of an elite rookie on an ELC is huge to allowing the team to fill an important hole, and then have cap space to fill another. 

Trading top picks for immediate help is usually a mistake. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am more desperate for immediate top LD help (someone to play with Weber) than a top 6 impact player when Price and Weber are 3 years older.

but you are right that the CH's picks have been good

Easier said than done but in the end there may be other avenues to acquiring a top pairing defenseman outside of trading away your top 6 pick, one of the few years your team stinks. 

Then again, I’ve been against the thought of including Pacioretty in a deal for one (well, for anything), unless it would also include a top line(6) center. So leave me out of this one! 

56 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Easier said than done but in the end there may be other avenues to acquiring a top pairing defenseman outside of trading away your top 6 pick, one of the few years your team stinks. 

Then again, I’ve been against the thought of including Pacioretty in a deal for one (well, for anything), unless it would also include a top line(6) center. So leave me out of this one! 

I'm with you on Patches, he is one of my favourite players.

I just believe that a top LD would improve this team a lot right a way

Good Start to the tank..

Detroit wins and goes 3 pts up.

Vancouver wins and leaps Habs.

Ottawa lost ? but Arizona and Buffalo still to come tonight..

Habs in tough in Pitt

14 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Vancouver wins and leaps Habs.

Van has some exciting young FW talent in their organization, but most of it is either injured or not with the big club yet. Lliving here I see a lot of them. For the Habs to be trailing that injury-riddled dog's breakfast of a roster after a full season is almost unfathomable to me. 

Looks like (at the age of 37) the Sedins will be retiring after this season. 

9 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Looks like (at the age of 37) the Sedins will be retiring after this season. 

Yeah, they sent out a letter to the fans announcing this. 

It's time, and I'm glad they're leaving while they can still play. Although often under-appreciated by ingrate fans and by the usual tribe of parochial bores in the Central Canadian media (Maclean's calling them 'borderline Hall of Famers' is more proof of what a joke HNIC is), they're one of the great stories of their era. If they'd been Hank and Danny Mackenzie from Peterborough, they'd be regarded as legends by the same fools. Hats off to the twins for a great career.

You don't see many Art Ross or Hart Trophy winners who won't make the hall of fame. 

Sure there are a couple of one season wonders like Jose Theodore, but generally speaking guys who win a trophy for being the best player or best scorer in a season make the hall of fame.  Same with Norris winners as you have to go back to Randy Carlyle to find an eligiblie one who isn't a Hall of Famer.

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You don't see many Art Ross or Hart Trophy winners who won't make the hall of fame. 

Sure there are a couple of one season wonders like Jose Theodore, but generally speaking guys who win a trophy for being the best player or best scorer in a season make the hall of fame.  Same with Norris winners as you have to go back to Randy Carlyle to find an eligiblie one who isn't a Hall of Famer.

Sure. So why did Maclean make that idiotic remark? It's emblematic of the Toronto-centric, Canada-biased ideology HNIC serves up. Somehow the Sedins are "sisters" while Mats Sundin is a hero (hey, he wears the right jeresey, i.e., Leafs or Bruins); somehow the Sutter brothers are icons of Canadian toughness while the Sedins, who have battled stoically through as much punishment as anyone in the league, are suspect. Just a steaming pile of broadcasting/commentating crap, as has been the norm with those guys for decades.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, they sent out a letter to the fans announcing this. 

It's time, and I'm glad they're leaving while they can still play. Although often under-appreciated by ingrate fans and by the usual tribe of parochial bores in the Central Canadian media (Maclean's calling them 'borderline Hall of Famers' is more proof of what a joke HNIC is), they're one of the great stories of their era. If they'd been Hank and Danny Mackenzie from Peterborough, they'd be regarded as legends by the same fools. Hats off to the twins for a great career.

If cam Neely is a Hall of famer, the sedin’s deserve to be in the hall of fame next year.

00-01 to 2017-2018 (at least 800 games played) points

1. Joe Thornton

2. Alex Ovechkin

3. Sidney Crosby

4. Jarome Iginla

5. Henrik Sedin

6. Marian Hossa

7. Daniel Sedin

8. Martin St. Louis

9. Patrick Marleau

10. Jaromir Jagr

The only guy there I think might have trouble getting into the hall is Marleau. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic