2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Senators are useless.

At least they are making it a game, as opposed to the Sabres who point at the other tankers, yells "pretender to the throne!" and jumps off a cliff.

Edit: As I type this the Sens give up a goal and the Sabres score one... The Tank is on a rollercoaster.

Bad night for The Tank, great night for Kings Watch.

Buffalo and Ottawa both lose, and Edmonton didn't help our 2nd round pick from Chicago get any better.

Washington beat St Louis, and the Kings got the win over the Avalanche, so LA is now a win away from clinching (2 games remaining) or an Avalanche loss away from clinching (2 games as well.)

Word is Erik Karlsson won't be travelling with the Sens on their season ending road trip, choosing instead to stay in Ottawa with his wife (which given their recent tragedy is understandable.)

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Word is Erik Karlsson won't be travelling with the Sens on their season ending road trip, choosing instead to stay in Ottawa with his wife (which given their recent tragedy is understandable.)

The fact he took the game puck with him has people believing it could have been his final game with the Senators.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

People say we should let go about Subban, try Forsberg still being salty about Washington trading him and throwing shade.

It’s funny how no has issue when the Roy or Chelios trade is brought up, or the fact most of the media continuously bring up the Subban and Hall trade.

its also curious how those that seem to get their panties in a knot are the ones that were happy about the trade.  I’m sure  they would be silent and  never bring up the trade if it was the habs who went to the finals after making the trade ?

With repsect with the Forsberg trade I can’t help but constantly wonder if we could have gotten him for a similar package centered around Pleks.

A must-watch game this Saturday is Colorado vs St Louis. If the Blues win or lose against Chicago tomorrow, the game against Colorado will decide which one makes the playoffs. It's going to be intense!

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

A must-watch game this Saturday is Colorado vs St Louis. If the Blues win or lose against Chicago tomorrow, the game against Colorado will decide which one makes the playoffs. It's going to be intense!

I’m rooting for the avs over the blues and panthers over the flyers for playoff spots 

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It’s funny how no has issue when the Roy or Chelios trade is brought up, or the fact most of the media continuously bring up the Subban and Hall trade.

its also curious how those that seem to get their panties in a knot are the ones that were happy about the trade.  I’m sure  they would be silent and  never bring up the trade if it was the habs who went to the finals after making the trade ?

With repsect with the Forsberg trade I can’t help but constantly wonder if we could have gotten him for a similar package centered around Pleks.

It's funny how a 2016 trade still dominates a 2018 Habs forum. Who has their panties in a knot, is it the people who just won't let it go or is it the people tired of hearing it? One of those reactions wouldn't happen without the other. 

I hope Bergevin has a great off season and gets this team back on track. He's a moron because he traded Subban

Pacioretty is having an off year. Because Subban isn't feeding him the puck

Man it sucks that Weber is injured. It's because he is old and Subban's young foot would have absorbed that slap shot

I really love grilled cheese sandwiches. Subban makes the BEST grilled cheese sandwiches

In my life I've never seen such a thing, it's borderline obsessive. But I suppose with any group of people, there will always be those that live in the past and have a negative outlook on everything. I'm just glad that I'm not one of those people. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Really? I never knew. I wonder what his secret is. I'm guessing he uses garlic bread. 

Uses aged gouda on a brioche loaf, with garlic herb butter and a whole lot of love. Meanwhile Weber uses stale bread that was on sale at the grocery store and Kraft single slices of "cheese". And he doesn't flip it in time so it burns

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, illWill said:

Uses aged gouda on a brioche loaf, with garlic herb butter and a whole lot of love. Meanwhile Weber uses stale bread that was on sale at the grocery store and Kraft single slices of "cheese". And he doesn't flip it in time so it burns

No wonder the Predators won the Presidents trophy without him.

(That said I like a little char on my grilled cheese so it's not all bad)

I don't think the Subban trade is "an obsession." It was a stupid trade that showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that this management regime is made up of morons. And pretty much everything that's happened since has consolidated that conclusion. It's not like the Chelios trade, which was a bad move by a good management group that went on to win the Cup. No, this is a move that symbolizes everything wrong with the current management of a team that has veered from mediocrity to disaster since the trade was made. Therefore, it's natural that it come up fairly regularly. Mostly when it comes up it's mentioned in the context of other issues (e.g., MB's contract negotiation acumen or lack thereof), as an example or illustration. Few of us are posting long windy stand-alone posts that deal exclusively with the Subban trade. You can try to impose some blanket ban on any mention of the trade, but human conversation doesn't work like that. It was the biggest trade since Roy, it's going to keep coming up.

And incidentally, I'm pretty sure that if MB had somehow hit a home run with a Subban trade, that would be regularly brought up in the context of defending his performance.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think the Subban trade is "an obsession." It was a stupid trade that showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that this management regime is made up of morons. And pretty much everything that's happened since has consolidated that conclusion. It's not like the Chelios trade, which was a bad move by a good management group that went on to win the Cup. No, this is a move that symbolizes everything wrong with the current management of a team that has veered from mediocrity to disaster since the trade was made. Therefore, it's natural that it come up fairly regularly. Mostly when it comes up it's mentioned in the context of other issues (e.g., MB's contract negotiation acumen or lack thereof), as an example or illustration. Few of us are posting long windy stand-alone posts that deal exclusively with the Subban trade. You can try to impose some blanket ban on any mention of the trade, but human conversation doesn't work like that. It was the biggest trade since Roy, it's going to keep coming up.

And incidentally, I'm pretty sure that if MB had somehow hit a home run with a Subban trade, that would be regularly brought up in the context of defending his performance.

There's nothing wrong with it being brought up, as it was a massive trade. But my god, everything always seems to come back to that. I will disagree that our organization is a "disaster" since the trade. Winning the division is a disaster? Sure this year is absolute garbage, but try and tell me with a straight face that PK Subban would have single handily helped this team from the garbage pile that it's in right now. No, what happened this year was our MVP was so terrible that a goalie picked up on waivers has been better, our #1 defenseman has been injured since the first game, there was 8 million in cap space just sitting there that could have been used, our best goal scorer has been injured and was having an off year, our #1 center is actually a winger, among other things. I really don't understand how one can draw a straight line and say that the trade is the reason why everything is the way it is. The only reason why it looks so bad is because Nashville is having success and Montreal isn't. Until there is a clear gap in performance between Subban and Weber, it was a fair deal in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Since the end of last season until now, it has been a very disappointing year.

Before that it was average. I will judge the Subban year based on where the Canadiens team is at the end of 2020-2021. Depending I f we have participated in a Stanley Cup final or not by then

The low mark for me is this year, now that we have flushed out the dead wood from the lack of high draft picks, lack of second round picks and some busts (Leblanc, Beaulieu, Tinordi and McCarron)

===

That being said, I follow the Canadiens for my enjoyment and for entertainment. And now I look forward the draft and the UFA market. 

I think we will start seeing positives news soon and we will be able to leave all this bad stuff behind

• Like 1

I would never say the trade was the cause of all our problems. My point was rather that because the team has regressed relative to 2015, crapping out in Round One last year and now being pure garbage from pole to pole this season, we lack the level of success that could mitigate the stupidity of the trade in the way that the team success after the Chelios trade helped to do. This is one reason why it keeps coming up and why the trade is such a powerful symbol of incompetent management.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would never say the trade was the cause of all our problems. My point was rather that because the team has regressed relative to 2015, crapping out in Round One last year and now being pure garbage from pole to pole this season, we lack the level of success that could mitigate the stupidity of the trade in the way that the team success after the Chelios trade helped to do. This is one reason why it keeps coming up and why the trade is such a powerful symbol of incompetent management.

To me this up coming off season is the make or break for Bergevin. I thought that he has done a great job with the exception of this season. It boggles my mind how a rich hockey team that won it's division the prior season doesn't spend to the cap. However it's not his fault that Price has been awful or Weber was out most of the year. This team isn't moving up in the standings no matter who is running the show if that happens again. That being said, he has a chance to redeem himself and I think that he deserves it. 

20 minutes ago, illWill said:

To me this up coming off season is the make or break for Bergevin. I thought that he has done a great job with the exception of this season. It boggles my mind how a rich hockey team that won it's division the prior season doesn't spend to the cap. However it's not his fault that Price has been awful or Weber was out most of the year. This team isn't moving up in the standings no matter who is running the show if that happens again. That being said, he has a chance to redeem himself and I think that he deserves it. 

You thought he did a great job in 15-16?

17 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

You thought he did a great job in 15-16?

You mean the year that they got off to their best start in franchise history? And then they lost Carey Price for the year, Brendan Gallagher for a few months, PK Subban for a month, Jeff Petry for a while. I don't see what Bergevin did wrong there 

9 minutes ago, illWill said:

You mean the year that they got off to their best start in franchise history? And then they lost Carey Price for the year, Brendan Gallagher for a few months, PK Subban for a month, Jeff Petry for a while. I don't see what Bergevin did wrong there 

Signed Semin and Fleischmann to fix the offensive issues in the 2015 playoffs, didn't try for a temporary starter when Price went down and instead traded for Scrivens, blew that unsustainable start on Mike Condon, their only dismissal being Craig Ramsay, etc.

They had a hot start in 16-17 as well and nearly blew that too until they fired Therrien. Maybe you're just easy to please but they did nothing to improve compared to 14-15 so having a hot start meant nothing. Even if Price stayed healthy the same issues from the 2015 playoffs would have continued. You know, like how they did in the 2017 playoffs?

2015-16 the team had the worst goaltending in hockey. I discount it from my calculations when it comes to assessing the Trade.

For me, in terms of Subban-Weber, the real comparators are 2015 and 2017. Both teams had Price. And what 2017 showed was that the Trade did not solve any actual problem and did not improve the team at all. With Subban in 2015, the team got to the second round, but struggled to score, and the PP was all too predictable as everything was funnelled to Subban's boomer. In 2017, the team lost in the first round and struggled to score, and the PP was all too predictable as everything was funnelled to Weber's boomer. 

Indeed, the 2017 team was much more erratic than the 2015 team, melting down midseason and only righting the ship after firing the coach, only to crap out in round one. So even at the mythical level of 'leadership' the team showed zero improvement. In fact, on balance, it did worse, both in the regular season and playoff.

So Bergevin's big coup accomplished less than nothing. And it's been all downhill since then.

Meanwhile, of course, Nashville has taken a huge step forward. Now people will spring up and say that the trade had nothing to do with that. But all I know is that if the Habs had made the finals and then finished first overall, Bergevin's defenders would be clicking their heels and crediting the trade as a major contributor to that result. 

The trade was dumb and Nashville was the big winner. No other way to spin it.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m rooting for the avs over the blues and panthers over the flyers for playoff spots 

Flyers have 14 loser points to Florida's 8. Ever since the shootout I've hated the loser point. Florida deserves to be in the playoffs more IMO.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic