2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, DON said:

Are there any team stats that the Habs arnt in the bottom third of league in (other than attendance and $/seat of course)?

Broadcasters tonight said something about the Habs being a 'strong shot blocking team,' so maybe we're in the top half in that dreary category?

48 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Broadcasters tonight said something about the Habs being a 'strong shot blocking team,' so maybe we're in the top half in that dreary category?

We are number 1 in the league

2 hours ago, DON said:

Are there any team stats that the Habs arnt in the bottom third of league in (other than attendance and $/seat of course)?

On top of the blocks, they're also fifth in hits (insert dumb Bell Centre statistician comment here).  They're also 7th in shots on goal.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

On top of the blocks, they're also fifth in hits (insert dumb Bell Centre statistician comment here).  They're also 7th in shots on goal.

That SOG stat is a stumper. So many shots...so few goals. It"s probably an ironic indicator of a team constantly playing catch up.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That SOG stat is a stumper. So many shots...so few goals. It"s probably an ironic indicator of a team constantly playing catch up.

A little bit of bad luck.

A little bit of not creating pre-shot movement in goalies. 

Goalies are allowed to get set before we shoot, they don't have a lot of side to side movement, which creates holes. 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That sounds exactly like the bruins that Julien got fired from 

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That sounds exactly like the bruins that Julien got fired from 

Looks like Boucher has been doing outstanding recently as well. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Looks like Boucher has been doing outstanding recently as well. 

he's also got an idiot GM that traded away a bunch of picks AND a popular productive centre for Duschane.  Another steal for Nashville, along with finally a decent trade by the 2nd worst gm in hockey (given the haul Sakic just got, guess who i think is the worst GM now)!  Dorian trading for Duschane is kind of like our idiot GM trading away Subban in what at best can only be considered a lateral move - unless you actually look at what he accomplished in Nashville vs what Weber has done in Montreal.

• Upvote 1

When I heard the story that Dorion became the GM of Ottawa, approached Sakic at a GM meeting and told him (paraphrasing), "Make me the first person you call if you ever decide to trade Duchene" is just amazing. It's why Sakic waited so long. He knew that nobody was going to beat Ottawa's offer, and he wanted to see how good the offer could get. Andrew Hammond, Shane Bowers (1st round pick 2017), 1st 2018, 2nd 2018, 3rd 2018, Vlad Kamenev and Sam Girard. All for one guy.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

he's also got an idiot GM that traded away a bunch of picks AND a popular productive centre for Duschane.  Another steal for Nashville, along with finally a decent trade by the 2nd worst gm in hockey (given the haul Sakic just got, guess who i think is the worst GM now)!  Dorian trading for Duschane is kind of like our idiot GM trading away Subban in what at best can only be considered a lateral move - unless you actually look at what he accomplished in Nashville vs what Weber has done in Montreal.

So you think their coach hasn’t been doing well because their GM made a lateral move? Is that how it works? Turris is great but he isn’t that important. Just like Subban. And if people think Turris or Subban were that important, that’s part of the issue altogether anyway. Let’s not overlook the fact that Turris wasn’t going to resign in Ottawa anyway or anything. 

Point is Boucher’s team is struggling mightily which sounds much like the Tampa team he got fired from. 

22 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

So you think their coach hasn’t been doing well because their GM made a lateral move? Is that how it works? Turris is great but he isn’t that important. Just like Subban. And if people think Turris or Subban were that important, that’s part of the issue altogether anyway. Let’s not overlook the fact that Turris wasn’t going to resign in Ottawa anyway or anything. 

Point is Boucher’s team is struggling mightily which sounds much like the Tampa team he got fired from. 

1. Turris is a 1C who has maximized Nashville's production by playing on their second line. 

2. Subban is the only defenceman in the NHL right now with more than 15 points when 60% of his zone starts are in the defensive zone. He's a Norris candidate right now.

3. Turris publicly said he thought that Eugene Melnyk prevented him from signing in Ottawa.

4. I agree that Boucher is a limited coach, but it wouldn't matter because if he was in Montreal he'd be working with the same staff Therrien did, and Julien does now, and that limits you.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I was skeptical about Boucher, and seem to have been correct about that, just a year later. Not that this is all Boucher's fault; Karlson is having a wretched season, and he is the guy that makes that team run; besides that, most analysts believed Ottawa had over-performed last year, so expectations were unrealistic. Add to that the asinine Duchene trade (which I, and others on this board, identified as a silly overpay the moment it happened) and you've got a perfect mess.

Despite everything, I still believe in Marc Crawford, though. This may be folly on my part, but the head coach, not the "associate," has to wear the failure IMHO.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree with this. Boucher is a one season coach. Seems like he's good for one season then his players quit listening to him. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

I agree with this. Boucher is a one season coach. Seems like he's good for one season then his players quit listening to him. 

Which is insanely weird for a psychology oriented coach, he is supposed to have the expertise to tap into the way his players tick, their psyche, but it seems he can't get anyone to adhere to his unconventional coaching system for more than a season or so. He has taken promising players like Stone and Hoffman and turned them into shells, even currently watching his golden goose go through the same thing. It is like the noose is getting to tight, and slowly but surely his players are suffocating under his system.

Either he lightens up and morphs his system into something more of a Hybrid between conventional and unconventional or he risks losing another NHL job after a short stint.

Habs sit in 28th place now, seems like Arizona and Sabres are just horrible enough to have 30th-31st place locked up, but Habs likely will duke it out with Ottawa & Vancouver for 29th.:crazy:

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Habs sit in 28th place now, seems like Arizona and Sabres are just horrible enough to have 30th-31st place locked up, but Habs likely will duke it out with Ottawa & Vancouver for 29th.:crazy:

Sometimes I think I'd rather have Vancouver's organization. They are destroyed by injuries, but actually have a heavy-duty elite youngster in Boeser and a legit top-6 young C in Horvat. Ottawa is another story...who knows if that franchise will even survive in that city.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sometimes I think I'd rather have Vancouver's organization. They are destroyed by injuries, but actually have a heavy-duty elite youngster in Boeser and a legit top-6 young C in Horvat. Ottawa is another story...who knows if that franchise will even survive in that city.

Quebec Senators would be fine with me. 

Just now, DON said:

Quebec Senators would be fine with me. 

The Nordiques can stay where they are, rotting in the ground as befits worm-encrusted filth. Good riddance to vile scum. 

Anyway, in Bettman's NHL the Sens will probably end up in Houston.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Marchessault 6 years, 30 million in Vegas. 

Scratch one option for MB to get a top 6 C via free agency. 

Yea, I mean once he got going this year there was major doubt in my mind he would make it to free agency anyway.

Could have been a nice option though

Would like to have hope or be positive, but gotta pull for a top five pick.

I assumed Bergevin had some better plan than Hemsky-Strait to replace Radulov/Markov, but he obviously  f'ed up (and last trade deadline was another miscalculation, big time by pro scouting) and musta boxed himself in a corner with a wad full of caproom and no takers.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic