2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, DON said:

Would like to have hope or be positive, but gotta pull for a top five pick.

I assumed Bergevin had some better plan than Hemsky-Strait to replace Radulov/Markov, but he obviously  f'ed up (and last trade deadline was another miscalculation, big time by pro scouting) and musta boxed himself in a corner with a wad full of caproom and no takers.

Don is that you? Are you feeling ok??

13 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Don is that you? Are you feeling ok??

Don tells it like it is. The Habs have always been good. Until the past 12 days. 

19 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Don tells it like it is. The Habs have always been good. Until the past 12 days. 

Really???? What team were you watching in October???

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Really???? What team were you watching in October???

I had the privilege of having great seats to our respective 1-5 and 2-6 drubbings against the Kings and Ducks in late October. 

It was a joke in reference to how Don’s unusually made more morose comments about the team as of late. 

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

No, but did anticipate some upgrade long before now with that $9m caproom guy would fill some hole and hope for a good amount of offense from top six that hasn't happened and Weber breaking foot or ankle in 1st game of year also not helped.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

No, but did anticipate some upgrade long before now with that $9m caproom guy would fill some hole and hope for a good amount of offense from top six that hasn't happened and Weber breaking foot or ankle in 1st game of year also not helped.

Can you tell me how we are supposed to fill that cap space???  I kept hearing all summer that we have so much cap space that MB will be able to get a top player.  HOW???  Unless we move Price, Weber, MaxPac, Galchenyuk, or Gallagher (with the last 2, we'd also have to those players to get a top player), what top player are we going to get back that will make use of that cap space??? We already moved our top prospect this summer for an inferior player.  The only way MB can make use of the cap space without move one 5 players i mentioned, is to take a really bad contract of someone's hand and that isn't going to help us improve.  Hell, even if he moved Maxpac, he'd probably move him for a more expensive player, who would be a downgrade.

Cap space is useful, if you can sign a top UFA (not garbage like Alzner), or have the assets to move him.  If we were going to move Sergechev, it needed to as part of a package for a top centre like McKinnon, not a 2nd line winger like Drouin or even for a 2nd line centre like Duschane.  That type of deal would have been a good move to use the available cap space.  Any deal that MB makes now, would just be wasting cap space on someone else's contract mistake.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Can you tell me how we are supposed to fill that cap space???  I kept hearing all summer that we have so much cap space that MB will be able to get a top player.  HOW???  Unless we move Price, Weber, MaxPac, Galchenyuk, or Gallagher (with the last 2, we'd also have to those players to get a top player), what top player are we going to get back that will make use of that cap space??? We already moved our top prospect this summer for an inferior player.  The only way MB can make use of the cap space without move one 5 players i mentioned, is to take a really bad contract of someone's hand and that isn't going to help us improve.  Hell, even if he moved Maxpac, he'd probably move him for a more expensive player, who would be a downgrade.

Cap space is useful, if you can sign a top UFA (not garbage like Alzner), or have the assets to move him.  If we were going to move Sergechev, it needed to as part of a package for a top centre like McKinnon, not a 2nd line winger like Drouin or even for a 2nd line centre like Duschane.  That type of deal would have been a good move to use the available cap space.  Any deal that MB makes now, would just be wasting cap space on someone else's contract mistake.

I said it from the very beginning. That cap space is useless unless your willing to give up a piece in return. 

The only other way to accomplish something with this absurd amount of cap space is to give up a player like Hudon, in return for young talent, but also eating a shitty contract from a team in cap trouble. 

These ideas have long sailed now. The season is over. Just ride the rest of this season out and despose of expendable players at deadline 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I said it from the very beginning. That cap space is useless unless your willing to give up a piece in return. 

The only other way to accomplish something with this absurd amount of cap space is to give up a player like Hudon, in return for young talent, but also eating a shitty contract from a team in cap trouble. 

These ideas have long sailed now. The season is over. Just ride the rest of this season out and despose of expendable players at deadline 

It's very simple, yeah. Move guys like Pleks at the deadline. See if somehow you can sign Tavares. If you can't, move Pacioretty and see where you are. The aim should be to retool so the team can contend in about three years, riding its crop of young FWs. No one in the core should feel safe.

Absent an impact C, even if the Habs add a legit #2 puck-moving defenceman via the UFA market, they still won't be a serious team - all such a defenceman would do is revert us to the 2016-17 status quo, when the team was playoff-worthy but still clearly inadequate. Pacioretty will be on the cusp of UFA-dom at 30 years old with maybe 2-3 years of elite production left (if that).  Better to ship him out to a team that sees him as a final piece of the puzzle, getting back a younger C.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's very simple, yeah. Move guys like Pleks at the deadline. See if somehow you can sign Tavares. If you can't, move Pacioretty and see where you are. The aim should be to retool so the team can contend in about three years, riding its crop of young FWs. No one in the core should feel safe.

Absent an impact C, even if the Habs add a legit #2 puck-moving defenceman via the UFA market, they still won't be a serious team - all such a defenceman would do is revert us to the 2016-17 status quo, when the team was playoff-worthy but still clearly inadequate. Pacioretty will be on the cusp of UFA-dom at 30 years old with maybe 2-3 years of elite production left (if that).  Better to ship him out to a team that sees him as a final piece of the puzzle, getting back a younger C.

Pacioretty will be gone at or before trade deadline. Teams don't care that he's in a slump, his value is still high

I'm probably a bit off, but I think it was from 2011 until now, only 3 players have scored more goals than Pacioretty. 

Playing on a second line with a legit cup contender; sky is the limit in the goal column for him.... I'm saying this as a guy who doesn't like Pacioretty too. 

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only good thing about the cap space is that the Habs can become a dumping ground for bad contracts clogging up a cap and get draft picks for it.

Maybe finally get Jagr

12 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The only good thing about the cap space is that the Habs can become a dumping ground for bad contracts clogging up a cap and get draft picks for it.

There aren't that many teams that need the help, unless you want to take on a multi-year burden. The only teams that have a negative-value, expiring contract are Dallas (Lehtonen), Toronto (Lupul) and mayyyyybe NYI (Kulemin) and Calgary (Stajan), but the Islanders and Flames probably already have enough space at the deadline to add whoever they want to, and Toronto makes more than enough money to ride out their LTIR situation.

And if you do want to take on a multi-year burden, there aren't actually that many god-awful contracts out there that teams desperately need to get out of. Andrew MacDonald is significantly overpaid, but Philly has a comfortable cap situation. Buffalo doesn't want to pay Matt Moulson 5 million to play in the AHL (3 million next season), but organizations in their position don't trade away bad contracts with draft picks they want to hold onto. 

Johan Franzen is probably going to the Arizona graveyard for NHLers that can't play anymore and have a cap hit much higher than their salary.

...maybe Matt Beleskey? Tyler Ennis? Who are the cap anchors out there nowadays?

21 hours ago, Trizzak said:

There aren't that many teams that need the help, unless you want to take on a multi-year burden. The only teams that have a negative-value, expiring contract are Dallas (Lehtonen), Toronto (Lupul) and mayyyyybe NYI (Kulemin) and Calgary (Stajan), but the Islanders and Flames probably already have enough space at the deadline to add whoever they want to, and Toronto makes more than enough money to ride out their LTIR situation.

And if you do want to take on a multi-year burden, there aren't actually that many god-awful contracts out there that teams desperately need to get out of. Andrew MacDonald is significantly overpaid, but Philly has a comfortable cap situation. Buffalo doesn't want to pay Matt Moulson 5 million to play in the AHL (3 million next season), but organizations in their position don't trade away bad contracts with draft picks they want to hold onto. 

Johan Franzen is probably going to the Arizona graveyard for NHLers that can't play anymore and have a cap hit much higher than their salary.

...maybe Matt Beleskey? Tyler Ennis? Who are the cap anchors out there nowadays?

Thanks to Vegas, a lot of teams were able to unload their cap anchors or bad contracts.  Arizona seems to help a lot too.  There are still a few bad contracts with some teams, but a lot of those players are hard to move because of no-trade and no-move clauses (along with the fact that they have a bad contract obviously).  Some contracts are expiring at the end of the season as well, so those teams might not be too concerned with it.

Cody Franson is on waivers.

Don't think Montreal has any use for him, but it is worth noting that Bergevin tried to trade Gorges to Toronto for Franson a couple of years ago until Gorges nixed the trade... might be some residual interest from Bergevin.

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Cody Franson is on waivers.

Don't think Montreal has any use for him, but it is worth noting that Bergevin tried to trade Gorges to Toronto for Franson a couple of years ago until Gorges nixed the trade... might be some residual interest from Bergevin.

I guess it would be depended on how long weber is out

Haven't paid much attention to Franzen, but it's hard to believe he would not be an upgrade on, say, Morrow. I did read one analysis suggesting his problem is that he's lost a step - despite being only 30. I suspect that, in a league increasingly defined by skating, we're going to see more players declining early for this reason. (That's one of my concerns about Patches, actually).

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Haven't paid much attention to Franzen, but it's hard to believe he would not be an upgrade on, say, Morrow. I did read one analysis suggesting his problem is that he's lost a step - despite being only 30. I suspect that, in a league increasingly defined by skating, we're going to see more players declining early for this reason. (That's one of my concerns about Patches, actually).

A slow aging Fransen fits MB’s modus operandi perfectly.

4 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Funny how the only team not to gain from the Ottawa/Nashville/Colorado is the one team that gave up the most: Ottawa.

We dodged a bullet in that MB didn’t get the guy he reportedly wanted and targeted.

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We dodged a bullet in that MB didn’t get the guy he reportedly wanted and targeted.

The rumoured price was Galchenyuk/Sergachev/1st.

Sakic had his mark in Dorion who wanted Duchene bad. I'm sure he asked everyone for the moon but knew Ottawa would give it to him. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic