2017-18 NHL Thread

dlbalr

This deal is the Melnyk special... save 3 million over 3 years, downgrade in talent, get no future assets of any note.  Its all about the Benjamins in Ottawa. 

Also, I love that Phaneuf got the Pierre Gauthier/Mike Cammalleri treatment, traded mid-game.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

This deal is the Melnyk special... save 3 million over 3 years, downgrade in talent, get no future assets of any note.  Its all about the Benjamins in Ottawa. 

Also, I love that Phaneuf got the Pierre Gauthier/Mike Cammalleri treatment, traded mid-game.

Ottawa is/was a such a pretender. Trading for Phaneuf was just plain stupid 

Edited by Habopotamus

16 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who woulda known, that much like Gainey with the skill/small/speed forethought, that Gauthier would also be ahead of his time by trading a player mid game. Can't believe it's happened twice this year, and both times, Ottawa was involved in some aspect.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still laugh when think of Cammalleri getting the Mike Cammalleri treatment.

53 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It worked out great... I mean we traded our best goal scorer (at the time) and got a Canadian Olympian in Rene Bourque.  

:lol:

I said at the time that this was the essence of bad management: you fire a coach because of a player rebellion, then trade the player who led the rebellion. It should have been one or the other, FFS. Trading Cammy was yet another case of management by ego rather than by cold-eyed commitment to winning...a pattern we've since become accustomed to under Goat's successor.

8 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

My favourite thing now is that Phaneuf rejected being allowed to be available to be taken by Vegas, which helped Vegas, and now Dion will play for the Kings, who if they do make the playoffs, they could likely play the Knights in the first round.

Phaneuf doesn’t seem to care about winning. It’s all about lifestyle for him.  His wife is probably thrilled going to Hollywood.

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

Phaneuf doesn’t seem to care about winning. It’s all about lifestyle for him.  His wife is probably thrilled going to Hollywood.

Unless she preferred it when he wasn't home all the time. Dion seems like a really really boring man.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Unless she preferred it when he wasn't home all the time. Dion seems like a really really boring man.

Fun fact: Phaneuf and Cuthbert got married and live in Prince Edward Island. Phaneuf wasn't born here but his family was and he spent time here as a kid. When they first started dating, before it was public knowledge, I seen them out at a local club. I had a crush on Elisha at the time (The girl next door movie, drool), and Phaneuf wasn't yet a pylon so I was enamoured by seeing them. I took a picture of them embracing each other that I posted to Facebook. My girlfriend at the time was into all those crappy gossip magazines and one day she showed me a picture in People magazine of them at a bar that proclaimed that they were dating. I quickly realized that it was the picture that I took. To this day I still don't know how it ended up in the tabloids, or how I go about getting my royalty check ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, illWill said:

Fun fact: Phaneuf and Cuthbert got married and live in Prince Edward Island. Phaneuf wasn't born here but his family was and he spent time here as a kid. When they first started dating, before it was public knowledge, I seen them out at a local club. I had a crush on Elisha at the time (The girl next door movie, drool), and Phaneuf wasn't yet a pylon so I was enamoured by seeing them. I took a picture of them embracing each other that I posted to Facebook. My girlfriend at the time was into all those crappy gossip magazines and one day she showed me a picture in People magazine of them at a bar that proclaimed that they were dating. I quickly realized that it was the picture that I took. To this day I still don't know how it ended up in the tabloids, or how I go about getting my royalty check ?

giphy.gif

On 2/9/2018 at 0:09 PM, Trizzak said:

Kruger cleared. Did someone lock Bergevin in a closet til noon?

That non-move really surprised me, since Kruger is a former Blackhawk and someone Bergevin must know.  Even if he sucks this season, he's a center with a 55% faceoff winning percentage which would lead the Habs.  Unfortunately he's signed for the following season at $3M+ which is likely why they didn't claim him.  Bergevin has to save cap room for trying to sign Tavares after all, although JT would probably rather play in the KHL than Montreal at this point in his career.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:27 AM, Machine of Loving Grace said:

She's great in the show Happy Endings, which unfortunately isn't on Netflix Canada anymore. It's one of the best shows that didn't survive. I think it's on ABC Spark now if you have cable.

I agree.  Happy Endings was a great sit-com with no weak links in any of the main 6 characters or writing.  I watched all 3 seasons when it was first run and will re-watch them if I'm channel surfing and I find it on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Mikael Backlund re-ups in Calgary, six years at $5.35M per year.  That's another centre off the free agent market.

Have to think he would have cost the Habs at least $6M per year over 6 years to sign him. I am glad that didn't happen

Watching L.A. vs Buffalo.  Not sure who to root for.  Kings need wins to make the playoffs so Habs can get their 4th rounder back.  Buffalo needs wins so Habs can catch them and get better odds in the lottery.  Hoping for a 3 point game here, but it's not looking good.  4-0 L.A. after 2 periods.

1 hour ago, John B said:

Watching L.A. vs Buffalo.  Not sure who to root for.  Kings need wins to make the playoffs so Habs can get their 4th rounder back.  Buffalo needs wins so Habs can catch them and get better odds in the lottery.  Hoping for a 3 point game here, but it's not looking good.  4-0 L.A. after 2 periods.

An LA win is okay with me (though OT would have been nice)... I just don't think Buffalo and Arizona are likely to give up the 1-2 spots with ~20 games to go, so any ground they gain is best considered a happy accident.

Edmonton, Vancouver, and Ottawa however... 

Oilers losing to Arizona 1-0 in the first. 

We need the oilers to win this, arizona is too far back. 

Sens look like they will tie us in points as that game is 5-2 now in the third, though they are still behind in ROW. 

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Oilers losing to Arizona 1-0 in the first. 

We need the oilers to win this, arizona is too far back. 

Sens look like they will tie us in points as that game is 5-2 now in the third, though they are still behind in ROW. 

We need both edmonton and Vancouver to pass us. Who can we trade to them that could help them get more wins and pass us?

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

We need both edmonton and Vancouver to pass us. Who can we trade to them that could help them get more wins and pass us?

One minute left and Coyotrs still up.. hoping for a three point game..

If Zona wins they are only 7 points back.. don’t count them out 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic