Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2017-18 NHL Thread

Recommended Posts

dlbalr    654

I'm actually remembering to start this before the season starts which isn't normal.  Any news and notes from around the league will go in this thread as usual.  Any predictions for 2017-18?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    272

Predictions :

4 Jets will end up in the top 30 scoring (Schefiele, Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers).
18 goals for Weber
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    654

A bit of a strange situation in Vegas.  They waived Calvin Pickard (who cleared) so that they could keep Malcolm Subban (who has been an AHL backup the last couple of years) as their new backup in the NHL.  They also are carrying nine defencemen in order to avoid risking losing one of Brad Hunt, Jon Merrill, and Griffin Reinhart on waivers.  To do so, they're keeping Shea Theodore and Vadim Shipachev in the minors to start the season.  I have to think there will be a trade coming soon to alleviate that defensive logjam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeLassister    272

Brad Hunt ? They don't play Theodore because they're affraid of losing Brad Hunt ?!?!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    654
12 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Brad Hunt ? They don't play Theodore because they're affraid of losing Brad Hunt ?!?!?!

 

Pretty much.  Although to be honest, I think Hunt is blocking Shipachev and it's one of their other d-men blocking Theodore at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can any of those guys move a puck? Could they potentially represent an upgrade for the Habs at the #7 d-man position? (i.e., better than Davidson; I know they're better than Streit, because everyone is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    654

Hunt is a good puck mover but is basically another Marc-Andre Bergeron.  Reinhart is a major bust that's basically a #7 guy at best while Merrill is probably the best of the three but isn't much of an upgrade on Davidson.  None of them are particularly valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    230
On 06/10/2017 at 2:34 PM, dlbalr said:

A bit of a strange situation in Vegas.  They waived Calvin Pickard (who cleared) so that they could keep Malcolm Subban (who has been an AHL backup the last couple of years) as their new backup in the NHL.  They also are carrying nine defencemen in order to avoid risking losing one of Brad Hunt, Jon Merrill, and Griffin Reinhart on waivers.  To do so, they're keeping Shea Theodore and Vadim Shipachev in the minors to start the season.  I have to think there will be a trade coming soon to alleviate that defensive logjam.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but apparently Shipachev hasn't reported to who ever Vegas' affiliate team is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    654
2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but apparently Shipachev hasn't reported to who ever Vegas' affiliate team is 

 

They have an agreement that he doesn't actually have to go there and that he can stay in Vegas and skate on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    230
8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

They have an agreement that he doesn't actually have to go there and that he can stay in Vegas and skate on his own.

Ya, I just saw that actually. He's with his wife or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    654
10 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, I just saw that actually. He's with his wife or something like that.

 

It's a compromise - they know he shouldn't be in the AHL so this way, he doesn't have to go there.  If this lasts much longer though, you have to wonder if it's going to become an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    230
28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

It's a compromise - they know he shouldn't be in the AHL so this way, he doesn't have to go there.  If this lasts much longer though, you have to wonder if it's going to become an issue.

Seems more than likely it's going to become an issue. Mcphee said he's in no hurry to make a trade or call players up. 

 

I know Bergevin had no interest in ship in the offseason, but i think he needs to atleast test the water on this one. If he can be had for a prospect, I think Bergevin should pull the trigger. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbhatt    22

Anyone else watching the Pens/Lightning game?  I figured I'd tune in to remind myself of what entertaining hockey looks like, and it has not disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×