Chad Johnson

Team Leaders Montreal Buffalo

Game Notes

Goals Pacioretty (35) Kane (28) Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST
Assists Drouin/Pacioretty (32) Ristolainen (39) National TV: N/A
Points Pacioretty (67) Eichel (57) Regional TV: TSN2, RDS, MSG-B
PIMS Shaw (110) Kane (113) English Radio: TSN 690
+/- Alzner (+23) Beaulieu (+8) French Radio: FM 98.5

Hmm, maybe Nate is fantasy hockey team material - ?

I like the third line: Galy's skill, Danault's all-around integrity, Shaw's agitation (assuming he can avoid the dumb-arse penalties, which is doubtful). That could work really well. But I will be shocked if the sophomore/ rookie combo of the second line lasts very long at all.

I'll be missing this one because of a work commitment :angry: I'm countin' on Habsworld to fill me in!

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think they're over in the same smouldering ditch as Scott Gomez's.

I just about created a thread earlier today listing players I felt would exceed expectations, underwhelm or meet expectations this season. Plekanec was number one on my "exceed expectations" section. I think once you watch a game or two, you may agree. I'm only comparing him to last season so it doesn't say much, but I expect him to be better this season. Lehkonen was a player I had on the underwhelm section though. I feel as though a lot of people have high expectations for him this year and I could see a slump from him. He's a big game player in my opinion, so even if he did have an average regular season, which is just speculation anyway, I'd still be hopeful of a strong playoff from him.

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Woot! Woot! Woot!

Let's hope Pleky found his wheels over the summer.

Plekanec has lost his speed, which is a big reason he's fallen off a cliff. I noticed in pre season too, he just doesn't have that burst of speed anymore. It ain't magically coming back. 

As for Plekanec exceeding expectations. Are we forgetting the fact he makes 6 million a year. His expectations should be 50pts. Exceeding last year's totals should just be necessary 

6 hours ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Just win baby!

Excited to see this one, I've got a good feeling about this team and this year.

I've followed media commentators, experts, etc., with interest. They seem split about down the middle between those who see these Habs as (a) comparable to last year's, a solid playoff team, but not a real contender unless Price works absolute miracles (this is my view too) and (b) an OK team with too many holes, competing against too many improved squads, and thus likely to miss the playoffs (this is Ray Ferraro's view, for example). I have yet to read or hear one analyst who sees this group as a legitimate top-end Cup contender.

As for Plekanec: once speed goes, it doesn't come back. What does sometimes happen with declining players is that they go on a hot streak for a few weeks, before reverting back to the ever-regressing mean. I would expect Pleks to look like his old self for just long enough, at some point this season, to delude people into thinking he's still got it - only to find him finishing the season with the same sort of wretched overall totals as last year.

I like the scoring options over 4 lines,  I am still cringing at Streit being in there based on what I just witnessed all pre-season. I am looking forward to what kind of season Hudon can have, how well Mete can do for us, and how soon Schlemko can come in a bump Streit out of the line up ^_^.

Overall I am thinking we end up 2nd in the division, and a bottom seeded team in the playoffs, but not struggling much to make it in the top 8.

Unless Price or Weber get hurt, then it all goes to hell in a hand basket :unsure:

Streit's there for the second wave on the power play. I have hopes for him this season. He's better than the other options we have as reserves but will end up our 6th/7th once Schlemko gets back depending on whether or not Mete sticks. 

Who scores the first goal of the year?

I'm going to go with Pacioretty...

:wavetowel::wavetowel::wavetowel:

Feels like today will be a good day to pull out my off season acquisition in the form of Shea Weber's jersey. 

My new profile photo says it all...

Just to add a little irrational spice to the game today, if we win I'll keep the photo up as my avatar for the full season.

:habslogo::gohabsgo::habslogo:

48 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I like the scoring options over 4 lines,  I am still cringing at Streit being in there based on what I just witnessed all pre-season. I am looking forward to what kind of season Hudon can have, how well Mete can do for us, and how soon Schlemko can come in a bump Streit out of the line up ^_^.

Overall I am thinking we end up 2nd in the division, and a bottom seeded team in the playoffs, but not struggling much to make it in the top 8.

Unless Price or Weber get hurt, then it all goes to hell in a hand basket :unsure:

If we are 2nd in the division, we won't be a bottom seeded team in the playoffs... we will have home ice in the first round. 

27 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

...and the population of Pominville just went up by one.  Stay out of the box FFS guys.

The Habs were doing a decent job of killing that one off - that goal started with Montreal having possession in the offensive zone before basically gifting them a 3-on-2 by playing it backwards.

It was just.... how I imagined it. 

Hudon's definitely been noticeable out there and I thought he might pot the first.  

Decent period.