Oct. 5, Habs vs Sabres, 7 PM

dlbalr

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Mete got almost 19 minutes tonight

Call me crazy, but I believe Julien when he says the plan is for him to stay all season, not go 9 games and gone... but Mete has to earn it still.  Tonight he looked like a guy who can earn it.

I hope so, meat is always more impressive when it has staying power regardless of it's size :B)

Guest Stogey24

This defense is going to have issues this year. Just so slow. 

Really glad we kept Benn over Beaulieu. Great decision there 

12 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Let's hope Drouin is OK. THat was a pretty hard hit!

Lousy call on Shaw! There's no way he caused interference on that, if anything it's Pominville who was at fault!

I would of called diving on Shaw on that play.

12 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Nice to see Drouin back on the ice!

Should he of been though? As TSN commentator noted, Drouin was hanging his head on the bench after the hit, which isn't a good sign. But, hope just more winded than hurt

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Been the best d-man out there besides Weber 

The hillbilly d-man is a safer bet for Julien to play with Weber I guess?

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

This defense is going to have issues this year. Just so slow. 

Really glad we kept Benn over Beaulieu. Great decision there 

Most are good with that choice...cept those who have an (admitted) irrational hate towards Benn. :popcorn:

Slow, was there even an odd man rush in the whole game against? But; Strait seemed very scary and quite useless for sure.

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Should he of been though? As TSN commentator noted, Drouin was hanging his head on the bench after the hit, which isn't a good sign. But, hope just more winded than hurt

After the Game Drouin said he was winded after the hit. Nothing more!

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

I really thought he was facked up there. Jolted him pretty bad 

Just now, Habsfan said:

After the Game Drouin said he was winded after the hit. Nothing more!

Yes, good to hear.

Nice to see Julien play both rookies in OT.

I think Strait will be like a boat anchor with any 3rd pairing guy he plays with.:angry:

29:40 for Weber and a super 1st game

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

I really thought he was facked up there. Jolted him pretty bad 

Said he took it more in chest, but still got rocked.

I don't trust anything that players, or teams, say about concussions. But hopefully Drouin is on the up and up about this.

Too bad I missed what sounds like an exciting game. Just out of curiosity, how did Beaulieu look?

Guest Stogey24
9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't trust anything that players, or teams, say about concussions. But hopefully Drouin is on the up and up about this.

Too bad I missed what sounds like an exciting game. Just out of curiosity, how did Beaulieu look?

To me looked decent. Set up a nice one timer after skating around the offensive zone. 

Housley is going to give him more of a leash than Therrien or Julien. That's a fact. 

13 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

To me looked decent. Set up a nice one timer after skating around the offensive zone. 

Housley is going to give him more of a leash than Therrien or Julien. That's a fact. 

I really believe in letting talented players play, but that is so unthinkable to this hidebound regime that there's no point in bringing it up.

(Not that N8 is the second coming of Bobby Orr by any means. But I *will* be interested in seeing how he fares).

Guest Stogey24
53 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I thought Beaulieu looked terrible his offensive zone blunders were very noticeable. He has talent but just nothing upstairs.

Last night? What are you talking about 

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really believe in letting talented players play, but that is so unthinkable to this hidebound regime that there's no point in bringing it up.

“It is a game of mistakes, but at the end of the day you just got to make sure that those mistakes are not huge and costly,” Julien added. “So that’s why you tell a player go out there, play your game. I want them to be comfortable. I want them to feel like I’ve got the confidence in him. I don’t want him worrying about me watching him waiting to make a mistake. I want him to know that I’m pushing him out there and I want to see good things. It really is the approach that you have with the player and how comfortable you make him feel and that’s something that I like to do with guys that get called up or guys that are starting their first real game in the NHL.” 

"He just said, 'keep playing your game, that's one of the reasons why you're still here, so just play your game and you should be fine,'" Mete explained.

Perhaps you are confusing Claude Julien for Michel Therrien? 

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Yeah last night.

Well their were a couple blunders on the PP where he wiffed on a couple shots resulting in clearings, he also had a couple bad giveaways.

I remember specifically a defensive zone coverage where he missed his man and left Lehner alone with a Montreal skater and that's just off the top of my head. Like I said he has talent just terrible IQ and an even worse shot.

13 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I thought he looked identical to his average game with Habs. But, you have to agree he is lacking in brainsmarts or hockey IQ, however you want to put it. He can skate great, can make a good pass once in a while and will fight. But cant shoot, not big on physicality and just is lacking 'IT'.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I thought he looked like he was trying to do way too much out there to prove a point.  I don't think he played particularly poorly but he'd have been better off trying to do a bit less.  

Streit actually finished with the best corsi of all the team's defencemen. 

Of course he played nearly five minutes less at even strength, and was given really easy matchups. 

Mete on the other hand was used against tough opposition and played more ES minutes than both Alzner and Benn, as well as Streit. 

It just goes to show the coaching staff is heavily sheltering the oldest dman on the team, while showing a lot of trust for the youngest. 

Thankfully Schlemko took his first full practice today so Streit may not be long for the lineup. 

I agree. I'm a (was) a Beaulieu fan but he looked exactly like he did for us out there and it was interesting to see him on another team. We have to keep in mind that he's being played as a top pairing guy and while he can skate, he doesn't really feel like a threat out there. He's noticeable which can be both good and bad for a defenseman. Considering that was likely Beaulieu playing inspired hockey, it wasn't that great. I do think he brings things to the table that we are missing on the back end though.