2017-18 Rocket/Beast General Season Thread

dlbalr

Laval Rocket announced that forwards Anthony Beauregard (Concordia University) and Nikita Korostelev (Peterborough – OHL) were signed to amateur tryout contracts with the team.

Beauregard was real good in Val D'or. He's a midget though and went CIS instead of getting a pro deal after junior. 

Korostelev was nice in his draft year, and fell to the Leafs in the 7th, He never seemed to progress though.

Some interesting additions if nothing else.  Beauregard didn't do much in the ECHL last year but he had quite the year with Concordia.  Korostelev has offensive talent, something that this team is basically bereft of at the moment.

been in Florida for a week therefore no recent posts---Beast played two good games this weekend. Beat Toledo in Toledo last night 3-2 with Belleville goalie Dreidger in goal. Today vs the Indy Fuel, blew a 4-2 lead early in the third but tied very late in the third and won in o/t 6-5 with a really nice goal by Erik Bradford. Belleville goalie Hogberg in net. Special ceremony for Capt Brandon Marino who last week became the team's all time goal scoring leader. Beast won't make the playoffs but might as well try and go out with a bang. Only two more home games April 6&8

Beast lost 3-2 in Worcester last night. Playing there again tonight. Have signed D man Paul Piacintini from Merceyhurst College in Erie Pa

So I haven't been paying attention to the Rocket at all, but Laval is probably going to finish last or second-last in the league this season.

Is this it? Is this finally the year Lefebvre gets the axe? 

The injury excuse can only go so far... right? The Habs organization can't be happy with the team being that bad in their first season in Laval... right? Bergevin must want to take some heat off himself and put in on the coach... right?

Somebody please tell me the nightmare is over.

It all depends on these other changes that Molson has been hinting at.  Does he put his foot down and say something needs to give?  If so, then maybe there's a chance.

If it's Bergevin's call, probably not (unless he's getting promoted to Montreal's staff).  He has said all along that he cares more about player development than the record and with the way players like Hudon, Scherbak, Juulsen, and Lindgren have played this year, he can just come out and say that it's proof that things are working in his eyes.

Personally, I'm hoping there's some truth to that Joel Bouchard rumour from a couple of weeks back and that he takes over behind the bench with Laval.

I'm just hoping next year in Brampton, they are able to afford an assistant coach to help Colin Chaulk. Can't believe no assistant this year except for a while when injured players like Blain and Henry acted as assistants. Would be nice to see a Montreal affiliate actually have some Montreal prospects. I believe there has been more Ottawa prospects assigned (off and on-especially in the case of goalies) making me wonder if affiliations might change?????

I expect there will be an affiliation change in Brampton and that it will become an Ottawa primary.  I can't see how Brampton would want to remain a primary of Montreal after they flat out abandoned them this year.  The question will then become if the Habs try to become a 'secondary affiliate' (like Ottawa this year), will they try to do that with Toronto and St. John's, or will they try to set up a team closer to Quebec?

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 1:53 PM, Trizzak said:

Valiev was sent to Laval today.

And is on the top pairing for their game that I don't feel like making a GDT for.  Here are the lines, featuring several players that most people won't have heard of:

DZ-bizOWAAAhVUt.jpg

If anyone's counting, there are 4 skaters on AHL deals, 6 on ATO deals, 1 PTO, and all of 7 skaters signed to the Habs.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

How about Juulsen?

He's not eligible to be sent back down as he wasn't 'papered' back to Laval after the trade deadline.  (Same with Scherbak had he been healthy.)

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's not eligible to be sent back down as he wasn't 'papered' back to Laval after the trade deadline.  (Same with Scherbak had he been healthy.)

Thanks dlbalr!

Brampton finished the season with two wins and a loss on the weekend. Beat Wheeling on Friday at home, beat Kalamazoo in the Zoo on Saturday ( and knocked the Wings out of the playoffs) and lost to mighty Adirondack 6-2 at home on Sunday with many vets  out (for example Blain, Donaghey, Fournier, Petgrave and Brandon MacLean injured (knee). College signing Bailey Webster looked good and has size for a D man-6'4" and 215 lbs. Piancentini is small for a D at 5'8" and 165 lbs. Vincent Dunn scored both goals on Sunday and it just looked like they had a case of bus legs after getting in from Kalamazoo at 5am with a 2pm gametime. They will miss Dunn as he was traded by Ottawa to Pittsburgh as part of a package at the NHL trade deadline but Pittsburgh chose to leave him in Brampton. He was joking with quite a few of the Wheeling players Friday as I suppose he might end up playing with them next season. It was not confirmed but I think it might have been Alex Foster's last game. Foster is a former Toronto Marlie Captain, played three games for the Leafs, and was the first player out for warm ups (before the goalie) and did a lap of his end by himself. His dad Dwight is a former NHL player and his uncle is NHL vet Wes Jarvis. Chris Dreidger was in goal all three games on the weekend. PS-the inductees for the Brampton Sports Hall of Fame were introduced on Sunday and one of the four was NHL defenseman Mike Weaver who finished his career with Montreal in 2014-15.

Brampton's Erik Bradford has signed a PTO with the AHL Toronto Marlies. Brampton D Jeff King (on loan from AHL Toronto) recalled by the Marlies

Chris Leveille of the Brampton Beast has joined the CBR Brave of the Australian International Hockey League---

Laval appears to be getting a head start on free agency as they've signed a pair of players for next season - defenceman T.J. Melancon (spent most of the year in the ECHL) and winger Morgan Adams-Moisan (who had more points in the Q this season than he did the past three years combined). 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • dlbalr unpinned this topic