2017-18 Rocket/Beast General Season Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Is Lindgren still with the Habs on emergency recall? does he need to be papered down if he's on emergency recall?

He was brought up on emergency recall but I think the classification may have changed when the deadline passed since there are no more roster limits.  At that point, I think emergency conditions only hit when you're out of regular post-deadline recalls and under the minimums.  I'm not 100% certain on that though.  It may be moot anyway if Price doesn't return.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He was brought up on emergency recall but I think the classification may have changed when the deadline passed since there are no more roster limits.  At that point, I think emergency conditions only hit when you're out of regular post-deadline recalls and under the minimums.  I'm not 100% certain on that though.  It may be moot anyway if Price doesn't return.

Looking into it

1) the habs still need to paper him down before 3:00 pm
2) even with Price on IR, they can call him back as an emergency recall after 3:00 pm to not waste one of the 4 callups.

D Matt Petgrave returned to Brampton from Laval today

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Looking into it

1) the habs still need to paper him down before 3:00 pm
2) even with Price on IR, they can call him back as an emergency recall after 3:00 pm to not waste one of the 4 callups.

They did paper Lindgren down before the deadline yesterday.  It doesn't look like they did with Juulsen though.

1 hour ago, miklin said:

D Matt Petgrave returned to Brampton from Laval today

I don't get it.  He was a top-four defender for Laval last game so why cut him now to keep Corrin as the 7th?  To me, they'd have been better off keeping Petgrave and not signing Corrin in the first place.  (They'd have also been better off adding about three new competent defenders to Laval's roster back when they still had a shot at the playoffs but I digress...)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

They did paper Lindgren down before the deadline yesterday.  It doesn't look like they did with Juulsen though.

I don't get it.  He was a top-four defender for Laval last game so why cut him now to keep Corrin as the 7th?  To me, they'd have been better off keeping Petgrave and not signing Corrin in the first place.  (They'd have also been better off adding about three new competent defenders to Laval's roster back when they still had a shot at the playoffs but I digress...)

Makes sense.... 

Juulsen and Scherbak are here to the end of the year. The Rocket aren't making the playoffs.  The 4 callups are all preserved for auditions.... likely Valiev, Rychel and two more (i bet Lernout and McCarron). 

and Marcus Hogberg (AHL Belleville) in goal for Brampton tonight with Spence as the back up

Beast win tonight 4-1 (3 Stars-Hogberg (30 saves), Dunn, Leveille). Next games vs Kalamazoo Friday ( at home), at  Kalamazoo Saturday and  vs Toledo in Brampton Sunday......

to further confuse matters, the Beast announced that Belleville goalie Chris Dreidger has been re assigned to the Beast. Hogberg sent back to Belleville. RW Ian Harris released

Brampton traded goalie Will King to Worcester today

Valiev has been recalled (this should be regular recall #1/4 as with Benn as a scratch tonight, it's not an emergency situation...unless they invent an injury for Benn).

Audette and Broll are out for the next two games with Laval and Lefebvre confirmed after tonight's game that they will be pulling a pair of forwards up from Brampton.

D Tyson Wilson to Laval

RW Ian Harris added to Brampton (off reserve?)

F Jackson Leef loaned to Laval

D Matt Petgrave loaned to Belleville AHL

in Kalamazoo tonight, Daniel Spence in goal for the Beast; Dagostini is the back up.  News: goalie TJ Sherwood signed to an SPC (Jr C goalie in the Barrie area)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the heck is going on???

OH jeeze-Spence just left the game injured in Kalamazoo. TJ Sherwood, Jr goalie is there as the backup, not Dagostini as listed on the game notes.

lost Friday in K'zoo 7-4 (last goal e/n). Were in the game until Spence got hurt. Sunday Beast lost 2-1 in a shootout to top team Toledo Walleye. Dreidger was in goal for the Beast. They badly outshot Toledo in the first two but just don't seem to have the big guys in front that are needed. I haven't check transactions to see who has been moved today........................

Addendum:, D Tyson Wilson on his way back from Laval to Brampton

I was having a discussion about the difference in pay between MLB and nhl farm systems.  I was telling them that players on 2 way contracts where they are call up eligible make 60 to 70 a year in the ahl, but full time vets in the ahl make pretty good money. It's hard to find salaries of one way ahl guys. Are they still up in the 2 to 3 hundred thou range?

17 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I was having a discussion about the difference in pay between MLB and nhl farm systems.  I was telling them that players on 2 way contracts where they are call up eligible make 60 to 70 a year in the ahl, but full time vets in the ahl make pretty good money. It's hard to find salaries of one way ahl guys. Are they still up in the 2 to 3 hundred thou range?

There is no salary disclosure for one-way AHL contracts.  The top guys on two-way deals are in the $350K-$400K range and we've started to see top minor leaguers get one-way NHL contracts at the league minimum of $650K.  My guess is that there aren't many AHL-only contracts in the $200K-$300K range as those players would be on NHL two-way deals in most instances.  There may be a couple of low six-figure guys still around but most minor league deals now are for depth players.

Even at the minimum though, most AHL salaries would trump most of the minor league players in MLB unless they're on split contracts (the baseball equivalent of a two-way deal).  This season, the AHL minimum is $46,000 which is a fair bit more than the couple grand a month the regular, run-of-the-mill players at the AAA level often get.

-ECHL transactions-Dagostini returned to Brampton from loan to Laval. D Matt Petgrave returned to Brampton from Laval. G Marcus Hogberg reassigned to Brampton from AHL Belleville

6 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

OK that makes sense.  Most of the young guys are around 60 to 70, but I remember seeing guys like alex henry up in the 200 range. 

He was a while back but that was on an NHL two-way contract.  The Habs have a couple of those this year - Taormina is at $350K and Froese at $250K (Peter Holland was in that range as well).

By the way, Laval is playing tonight but considering it's near the end of the 2nd period already, I'm not starting a GDT now.

Beast lost Sunday 3-2 to a very talented Cincy Cyclone team. Rick Vaive's son Justin is on the team-big guy-very whiney. There is also a Beukeboom on the roster and a few vets like Shawn O'Donnell and Jesse Shulz. Brampton had a 2-1 lead going into the third-ran into some cheezy penalties and lost D leader Jordan Henry half way through the third when he questioned the referee's ancestry and got a game MC. Brampton outshot Cincy but not enough big guys in front running interference. They played quite well for most of the game Friday getting a 4-3 win over Robbie Ftorek's Norfolk Admirals. Brampton has missed D man Mike Folkes for quite a few games due to injury. In goal, Chris Dreidger was his steady self. Referee Andrea Barone was very marginal on his calls

• dlbalr unpinned this topic