Oct. 7, Habs vs Capitals, 7 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I suspect that Galy has either lost confidence completely, or - more likely - checked out mentally on the Habs. I'm guessing he was dismayed to find Julien taking exactly the same tack as Therrien (or, if anything, being even more strident, bumping him to the fourth line, etc.). He may well need to be traded before he either finally accepts the need to add defensive awareness to his game, or else finds a coach and organization who accept his limitations and embrace his strengths.

It would have been nice if he had told the team that before signing for $4.9 million a year for three years.

I get the argument to put him on a line with more talented players but I'm of the old school mindset that you have to earn your ice time.  If you put him on the top line in place of Gallagher, what message does that send to Gallagher?  'You've been great so far but you're getting demoted anyway so we can promote someone who has more or less dogged it in the early going.  But hey, keep up the good work.'

There are some on here who still think Galchenyuk has the potential to be a point-per-game player.  If that is indeed the case, he should be talented enough to make something happen regardless of who he's playing with.  Danault and Shaw aren't the likes of Andreas Martinsen and Brian Flynn here.  Both are pretty good players.  If they're doing the dirty work, then it's up to Galchenyuk to get into the scoring lanes and get shots off and he's not even doing that right now.  If Pacioretty was on this line and Galchenyuk was with Drouin, would Pacioretty be getting a free pass if he was playing like Galchenyuk has been?  Somehow, I don't think so.

At some point, instead of just blaming Therrien, Julien, Bergevin, and every other linemate Galchenyuk has had, how about holding Galchenyuk at least somewhat accountable here?  The blame shouldn't entirely be on him either but this is his sixth year in the NHL.  He should know the type of effort that's required to play at this level by now and the fact that he's unwilling to play with that effort on anything close to a regular basis is disappointing (and not everyone else's fault but his). 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Put him on a line that gives him more of an opportunity to control play. Not chase pucks down on a dump in. He needs guys who Set up in the zone 

He's never going to be that grinding player, thats just how it is. Julien needs to understand that and put one of his most talented players in a position to succeed.

The poor misunderstood kid:cry_smile:. But, why does a Byron or Gallagher typically shine (or at least create scoring chances for themselves) no matter who they play with and ultra-talented guy needs help? 

I am still just hoping Galchenyuk is in a little funk and will end up with a productive and healthy year.:pray:

Friggin Hemsky has 4 lazy stick penalties in 2 games, wont miss him if he 'rests' today. He and Strait can study the Rangers from high in Madison Gardens.

(Hey Strait, better pick up your game, Jerabek had 2a and was 2nd star in 1st game in Laval.)

Edited by DON
2nd thought

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'm a bit of a mixed bag on the issue because Galchenyuk being placed on the fourth line in the playoffs last season was my first strike with Claude Julien. On the other hand, Galchenyuk has not deserved anything more than he's received so far this season. I still believe that he'll score some goals for us but he has yet to play well and that's on him more than the coaching staff so far this season. 

Am more disappointed than worried about Galchenyuk's start to season, but at least nice to see the other Galy chip in both games and hopefully his hand issues are behind him?

10:42 in icetime for Byron, seems like he deserves more.

10 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Category I've fell into? 

It doesn't make any sense to put a 30 goal scorer in a position to succeed?Gallagher doesn't need to have a supporting cast, Galchenyuk clearly does. 

You've noticed Shaw and Danult more because they love the dump and chase and the scramble plays out front. That's the role of that line. 

This team doesn't have the luxury of allowing Galchenyuk to dig himself out of a funk. 

If you want a 60-70 point season out of this kid, it's going to come from playing with quality players. If you want to teach this kid a lesson, but only get 40 points, well then keep him where he's at.

This isn't about teaching him a lesson, we don't have the luxury of teaching offensive players lessons for a whole season. This is about the Coach's message to the players, this is about merit, and right now based on how well Gallagher and Hudon are playing, and how not well Galchenyuk is playing, it would be an unfair message to either of the other guys to demote them in favor of giving Galchenyuk a piece of cheesecake for his troubles. He has to look good for at least a game or so to earn a swap, this way the other guys in the room can look at the situation like he has had a couple good games but can't get on the board lets see how he does on Line X.

You really think trying to get Galchenyuk scoring like he did in 2015 is worth all the background muttering and questioning in the locker room? "Why the hell does this kid get to play up there instead of Gallagher, he hasn't done squat with his ice time, 4 min of PP a night isn't enough?" "Yea, what did Gallagher do other than be one of our best forwards so far to get bumped off that line, poor guy I bet he isn't too happy" those are the kinds of whispers and thoughts that would start bouncing around the locker room if we take the approach of keep giving Galchenyuk everything and anything, deserving or not, to try to get him producing, and screw the other guys. What makes you think Gallagher if healthy and playing like he is with who he is playing with can't score 30? Why is Galchenyuk's potential 30 goals more important than Gallagher's? We still have one that can score 30 up there, and right now Gallagher looks more hungry and more likely to do it.

Galchenyuk has to earn it, plain and simple, he has to do the bare minimum to earn it. Because he has a history of being productive, it can be justified pretty quickly, but it cannot happen while he looks as disengaged and as disinterested as he looks now. He has to put together a couple good games of real noticeable solid efforts, production or not, he needs to have scoring opportunities, look hungry and determined, and then it is easy to slide him on a different line, there was merit to the attempt to get him going. There are 12 guys in that forward group who want the most ice time you can get and play with the best players you can play with, giving only one a bone every time regardless of merit will never sit well with them, and that is something that needs to be considered by any coach who wants to be taken seriously by his room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It would have been nice if he had told the team that before signing for $4.9 million a year for three years.

I get the argument to put him on a line with more talented players but I'm of the old school mindset that you have to earn your ice time.  If you put him on the top line in place of Gallagher, what message does that send to Gallagher?  'You've been great so far but you're getting demoted anyway so we can promote someone who has more or less dogged it in the early going.  But hey, keep up the good work.'

There are some on here who still think Galchenyuk has the potential to be a point-per-game player.  If that is indeed the case, he should be talented enough to make something happen regardless of who he's playing with.  Danault and Shaw aren't the likes of Andreas Martinsen and Brian Flynn here.  Both are pretty good players.  If they're doing the dirty work, then it's up to Galchenyuk to get into the scoring lanes and get shots off and he's not even doing that right now.  If Pacioretty was on this line and Galchenyuk was with Drouin, would Pacioretty be getting a free pass if he was playing like Galchenyuk has been?  Somehow, I don't think so.

At some point, instead of just blaming Therrien, Julien, Bergevin, and every other linemate Galchenyuk has had, how about holding Galchenyuk at least somewhat accountable here?  The blame shouldn't entirely be on him either but this is his sixth year in the NHL.  He should know the type of effort that's required to play at this level by now and the fact that he's unwilling to play with that effort on anything close to a regular basis is disappointing (and not everyone else's fault but his). 

I'm not arguing that he should be handed prime minutes/ ice time without earning them. If he were creating things offensively, I'd be willing to accept his defensive limitations; that's a different level of argument, and that seems to be where I differ from Therrien/Julien. But if he is generating absolutely nothing (not just zero points, but zero dynamism and creativity), then no  he should not be rewarded.

My post above was speculation, of course, but it's based on a lacklustre 2nd half last season, a dismal preseason, and two bad games this season. We lnow he can do better than this, so *something* is wrong between the ears.

And yeah, if he feels lost or alienated then he should have the decency to ask for a trade.

Much like the 10-0 game last year, I don't think that this one game means an awful lot. 

If it becomes part of a trend, fine... but at this point its a little early for the overreactions.  Its a long season and teams have stinkers, especially down 3-0 early on some weird goals. 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not arguing that he should be handed prime minutes/ ice time without earning them. If he were creating things offensively, I'd be willing to accept his defensive limitations; that's a different level of argument, and that seems to be where I differ from Therrien/Julien. But if he is generating absolutely nothing (not just zero points, but zero dynamism and creativity), then no  he should not be rewarded.

My post above was speculation, of course, but it's based on a lacklustre 2nd half last season, a dismal preseason, and two bad games this season. We lnow he can do better than this, so *something* is wrong between the ears.

And yeah, if he feels lost or alienated then he should have the decency to ask for a trade.

I know you're not in the category of just give him the minutes no matter what (others are though); most of my post was a general comment and not directed towards you.  If he starts creating things offensively but is so-so in his own end at the same time, I'd be inclined to try him on a higher scoring line as well.  He's not at that point yet though.

I think the between the ears thing is largely confidence more than anything else such as disenchantment with the team.  When he's confident, he's a lot more assertive and good things usually happen.  He needs to learn sooner than later how to make a positive impact even when the puck isn't going in and that, in turn, should help his confidence.  If and when that happens, he should be able to take an important step forward.

Guest Stogey24

The whole point is Galchenyuk needs to be supported, Gallagher doesn't. Gallagher can play anywhere and produce. Which is why you will eventually see Galchenyuk in  that rw spot. It has nothing to to about merit, it's about priming a player. 

As I previously said, you can go ahead and send the kid a "message", but when push comes to shove, this team needs Galchenyuk to be put in a position to succeed. 

You realize Galchenyuk put up 21pts in his first 20 games last year and finish 3rd on this team in scoring with a .71 ppg. Why you talk about 2015 as this kids only productive year, I don't know.

.....Play this cat and mouse game all you want with Galchenyuk. It does not work. Merit...blah blah blah. You want goals, you want a player who's going to make your team better, then play him with like players. If that's not going to happen , then trade him, because your not going to get production out of him. Accept it or don't 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

The whole point is Galchenyuk needs to be supported, Gallagher doesn't. Gallagher can play anywhere and produce. Which is why you will eventually see Galchenyuk in  that rw spot. It has nothing to to about merit, it's about priming a player. 

As I previously said, you can go ahead and send the kid a "message", but when push comes to shove, this team needs Galchenyuk to be put in a position to succeed. 

You realize Galchenyuk put up 21pts in his first 20 games last year and finish 3rd on this team in scoring with a .71 ppg. Why you talk about 2015 as this kids only productive year, I don't know.

.....Play this cat and mouse game all you want with Galchenyuk. It does not work. Merit...blah blah blah. You want goals, you want a player who's going to make your team better, then play him with like players. If that's not going to happen , then trade him, because your not going to get production out of him. Accept it or don't 

I think you are overreacting. Right now Julien is not likely too concerned about sending any player a message after just 2 games and more worried about which weak d-man do I use, should I play Mete vs top Ranger lines, or should Mitchell draw in for Hemsky or delaRose, etc.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Much like the 10-0 game last year, I don't think that this one game means an awful lot. 

If it becomes part of a trend, fine... but at this point its a little early for the overreactions.  Its a long season and teams have stinkers, especially down 3-0 early on some weird goals. 

Totally agree. I haven't watched a lot of hockey, but the few games I've watched were actually funny. Not just habs games. Goals going in that will not go in in November. Goalies losing track of the puck. Defense playing line garbage. The first 10 or 15 games of the reg season is laughable. Not good hockey at all usually. Lately, Montreal has benefited from this. Maybe not this year. 

If I'm being honest, I can recall two other Habs' seasons that started with these kind of disasters. One was 2010. The team had been comprehensively rebuilt and really had some feeble efforts early on. That team went on to ride Halak to the semi-finals.

The other was 1993. That team, too, had added a new front line, with Bellows and Damphousse. I think they lost a game 8-2 early on, something like that. But we all know how that turned out.

In no way, shape, or form do I think that this 6-1 shellacking presages a great playoff run by this D, which really does have problematic elements. Certainly I don't think this group is fit to hold the jock straps of that 1993 team. But there IS much truth in the justification that this group is still finding its way and will be better once it does. Whether it will be any better than last year's manifestly inadequate squad is highly doubtful, but we shouldn't read *too* much into this preposterous loss, other than that Mark Streit sucks giant panda ass.

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I am referring to 2015 because you keep referring to him as a 30 goal scorer, and that would be the year he did it. I understand how productive he was before his injury, I understand what Kind of player he is when he is firing on all cylinders. Bottom line is he is not firing on all cylinders since training camp, bottom line is I don't believe he has earned through past performances, a golden ticket to remove Gallagher from the top line. Gallagher has also had very good past seasons, Gallagher is doing a job on the ice that neither Patches or Drouin would be doing, and certainly not Galchenyuk. So no, not only has Galchenyuk not played anywhere near well enough to bump Gallagher out of the top line RW spot, but on top of that, Gallagher has been playing some seriously solid hockey since training camp started, and does not deserve to be bumped off that line. 

one of 2 things need to happen for Galchenyuk to wind up on that top line RW spot, he needs to string together some solid outings, or the top line needs to go stagnant, only then would it make sense to make changes to it, and it would make sense to bring Galchenyuk in as the guy. And lets not forget the guy is playing a #1 PP unit role since the start, he is not just simply "stuck on a line" with Danault and Shaw. He is getting an opportunity to produce on the PP in a prominent way, and the only thing he is mustering up at the moment is invisibility both 5 on 5 and 5 on 4.

You don't reward someone for that unless they sway you, or you become desperate, and at this point, none of those things have occurred, the top line is producing, no desperation there, and he has done anything but sway anyone so far.