Oct. 10, Home Opener, Chicago vs Montreal

dlbalr

When they send Mete back to Junior, they call up Jerabek and Schlemko is healthy.. this will look better. Time for a Duchene vs Galchenyuk shake up!

This bunch could sure use a Radulov. Their FW unit seems to have too many of the same type of player - smallish or soft, with OK but not upper-tier skill. Every line plays the same game. Meanwhile there is minimal offensive push from the back end, which helps to explain problems getting through the neutral zone.

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

It's actually impressive how the Habs are managing to consistently get the puck to a Chicago player while up a man on the ice. It's a hell of a talent. 

Hahahahaha... sob....

2 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

With every loss, I am actually more and more excited at the prospect of a complete rebuild.

We have the Leafs followed by the California road trip coming up.  An abundance of losses to add to the 3 we already have looks highly probable.

I believe it's 4 goals in 4 games. The shootout goals don't count. 

This is one sorry bunch. 

I read it was a good draft year, but with our scouting department we'll just get a 3rd liner with character. 

Just now, Chris said:

I believe it's 4 goals in 4 games. The shootout goals don't count. 

This is one sorry bunch. 

I read it was a good draft year, but with our scouting department we'll just get a 3rd liner with character. 

You are right, on all 3 counts.  I corrected my previous post; as pretty as Drouin's shootout goal was, it doesn't count.

Drouin is an exciting player, especially on the PP. Whether he is really the guy who can drive the bus offensively is much harder to discern.

But it's very hard to believe in this group, which does indeed look to be worse than last year's - and last year's was manifestly inadequate.

Our GM has transparently failed to build on the strong core he inherited. He's garbage.

How long should we give this team to turn it around before moves need to be made? 10 more games? What say you - ?

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Drouin is an exciting player, especially on the PP. Whether he is really the guy who can drive the bus offensively is much harder to discern.

But it's very hard to believe in this group, which does indeed look to be worse than last year's - and last year's was manifestly inadequate.

Our GM has transparently failed to build on the strong core he inherited. He's garbage.

How long should we give this team to turn it around before moves need to be made? 10 more games? What say you - ?

Move #1 MUST be to fire Bergevin...he should not be trusted to make any trades at this point.

The sample size is too small to draw any conclusions about this team. The regular season started less than a week ago.

I say 10 more games in and we will have a much more accurate picture.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Unsustainable

Averaging 39 shots per game.
Averaging 1 goal per game. 

A 2.5% shooting percentage simply cannot continue. 

The post is factual but presents neither a positive or negative meaning. It's unsustainable to score 1 goal per game with that many shots but it means nothing in regards to how that may translate to the win and loss column. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think you have to wait somewhere between 20 and 40 games before you make any major changes. The main hope we have is that Julien can coach this team in a positive manner. I'm not personally pleased with his work to date, and ironically I was closer to a Therrien defender than hater, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt of time. He made comments in the preseason about how the players were going to be thinking too much with new systems and that the idea would be that with time they would start thinking less and playing better. I'm a coach as well of another sport as I mention from time to time and I have adjusted my style over time because I completely agree that having a player think too much during a game or match situation can be detrimental. The very fact that he even alluded to it, however, makes me believe that he has indeed overloaded some of the players with information. It actually could be a slight mistake, but with time, one would have to think that things may develop in a positive manner. If not, he's one of the first I would point my finger at as well.  

Even with Drouin, Chris mentioned that he's a top line winger and not a top line center and Stogey counter argued that he may be a second liner. I'd agree that he's a first line winger because he is that talented but you can tell that he's trying to play extremely well defensively and pay attention to detail and the main time he frees up offensively is on the power play. I think Drouin can be a decent center, despite the face off woes that I complained about, but the problem is that it's going to take away from his offense. Free him up on the wing, and the offensive potential of a first liner will come out (though he has never reached 60 points). 

6 hours ago, brobin said:

Vegas is currently 3-0. That’s right...a team made up of the cast offs from other teams has a better record then the Habs

They also have a better record than 29 other teams. Do they all suck as well? 

Guest Stogey24
8 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

The post is factual but presents neither a positive or negative meaning. It's unsustainable to score 1 goal per game with that many shots but it means nothing in regards to how that may translate to the win and loss column. 

I think you have to wait somewhere between 20 and 40 games before you make any major changes. The main hope we have is that Julien can coach this team in a positive manner. I'm not personally pleased with his work to date, and ironically I was closer to a Therrien defender than hater, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt of time. He made comments in the preseason about how the players were going to be thinking too much with new systems and that the idea would be that with time they would start thinking less and playing better. I'm a coach as well of another sport as I mention from time to time and I have adjusted my style over time because I completely agree that having a player think too much during a game or match situation can be detrimental. The very fact that he even alluded to it, however, makes me believe that he has indeed overloaded some of the players with information. It actually could be a slight mistake, but with time, one would have to think that things may develop in a positive manner. If not, he's one of the first I would point my finger at as well.  

Even with Drouin, Chris mentioned that he's a top line winger and not a top line center and Stogey counter argued that he may be a second liner. I'd agree that he's a first line winger because he is that talented but you can tell that he's trying to play extremely well defensively and pay attention to detail and the main time he frees up offensively is on the power play. I think Drouin can be a decent center, despite the face off woes that I complained about, but the problem is that it's going to take away from his offense. Free him up on the wing, and the offensive potential of a first liner will come out (though he has never reached 60 points). 

Great player, but you couldn't be more right. He needs to be set free on the wing. I just have no idea who plays #1 C and neither does Bergevin.

This team just feels like a mish mash of players. Theres no real identity or specific brand of hockey this team plays. We're right back to being a small forward group who has trouble scoring and d-core that's  a disaster.

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Just the most boring team I've ever watched. Awful

You didn't watch the end of 2012 or 2015 seasons? Why the overreaction, they didn't play horrible and game wasn't boring, Habs had a ton of chances and 42 shots FFS!.

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Is Julien going to start coaching, or...?These lines are stagnant 

Do we want to flip back to the fire Therrien thread? When all complained the opposite?

11 hours ago, brobin said:

You know what adds character? Having enough skill on the team. This team has taken a step back talent wise. 

Have had zero forwards on all-star team for bunch of consecutive years, so not like have been an offensive juggernaut in recent past. But, we all had hoped Drouin might be an all-star calibre player and he might be, 4 games is bit short to make any real pronouncements isn't it?  

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Holy fack man. Therrien all over again. Offensive zone draw and Julien takes mete off for Benn

Yes, your 'favourite' d-man had numerous gaffs throughout the game...again. But, I thought Davidson again had good quiet game and Mete did get lots of icetime and 2:42 on the PP as well. It is a long season and looks like Mete is getting a fair chance to show what he can do.