Who's to blame when it comes to Galchenyuk?

Habsfan1989

The Bruins made several bad trades with high profile, young offensive talent. My buddy is a bruins fan so I never hear the end of it.. who was the coach...CJ... 

I think CJ has a lot of influence in Boston and helped push those players out. I fear he will do the same with chucky.

that said, chucky has to do better.

16 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

They have to trade this guy ASAP before he becomes the league joke.  I see a player that started with a lot of promise but has steadily gotten worse over the last 3 seasons.  No matter who's to blame but he isn't going to pan out in Hab land.  When I see him continually pass the puck to the opponent, I sometimes think he is purposely playing bad so he can get his ass out of there as fast as he can and I don't really blame him.  It's over, most importantly I think it's over in his own mind and I don't think he has the mental fortitude to overcome it.  Trading for Duchene is the best thing that could happen now and Bergevin needs to make it happen soon before his worth is dramatically lower.  He's a one dimensional player with a great shot and with the right centre he could hit 30 again but not in Montreal.

Gotten worse over the last three seasons?

WHAT?

His PPG has consistently gone up over each of those seasons. 

He's not playing well through four games, but lets not make up facts here. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, brobin said:

The Bruins made several bad trades with high profile, young offensive talent. My buddy is a bruins fan so I never hear the end of it.. who was the coach...CJ... 

I think CJ has a lot of influence in Boston and helped push those players out. I fear he will do the same with chucky.

that said, chucky has to do better.

That's what Habs29 warned us about when Julien was hired.

It seems to me that any competent coach can develop a player who is highly coachable. The real skill is in taking a young player with great talent but an imperfect mindset and gradually helping them to fulfill their potential. It's great that CJ developed Torey Krug, or that Lehkonen and Mete seem to be flourishing under him, but that he couldn't work with Seguin is a huge black mark on his resume.  Success in the league today DEMANDS the successful internal development of as many talented players as possible. Neither the Habs nor CJ seem to have figured that out.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Gotten worse over the last three seasons?

WHAT?

His PPG has consistently gone up over each of those seasons. 

He's not playing well through four games, but lets not make up facts here. 

Sure he's great. Not disappointed at all in his play. General consensus is he has improved vastly over that time span.  He's a shoe in for the Hart this year. :bonk:

3 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Sure he's great. Not disappointed at all in his play. General consensus is he has improved vastly over that time span.  He's a shoe in for the Hart this year. :bonk:

Statistically he improved year after year, and was close to a PPG pace before getting hurt last season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Statistically he improved year after year, and was close to a PPG pace before getting hurt last season. 

Yes and his suck quotient improved even more.  His quality of play last season is not defendable regardless of how many points he got.

10 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

I wonder if 2 knee surgeries has had any lingering problems...physically or mentally.

2 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Yes and his suck quotient improved even more.  His quality of play last season is not defendable regardless of how many points he got.

What are you smoking? Last year, he played at a 59pt pace, which isn't too shabby and the year before that he had 30g season.

You want to bitch about how he did post-knee injury and for 4 games this year, fine and most will agree with that, but bit overboard on a more long term regression.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DON said:

I wonder if 2 knee surgeries has had any lingering problems...physically or mentally.

What are you smoking? Last year, he played at a 59pt pace, which isn't too shabby and the year before that he had 30g season.

You want to bitch about how he did post-knee injury and for 4 games this year, fine and most will agree with that, but bit overboard on a more long term regression.

Maybe Habsowned is thinking like Julien and defining a one-dimensional offensive player as a guy who 'sucks.' 

But in terms of offensive production, he did NOT suck until the last third of last season, and in fact showed steady improvement.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DON said:

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe Habsowned is thinking like Julien and defining a one-dimensional offensive player as a guy who 'sucks.' 

But in terms of offensive production, he did NOT suck until the last third of last season, and in fact showed steady improvement.

I see the Chucky fan boys see no faults.  Blah, blah, blah, keep spouting your man love for this waste.  Fact is when he touches the puck I know the play is over because he's about to turn it over and send the opponent in for a odd man rush.  

So do you not think that this situation is being totally mismanaged?

I think we all would agree that Alex is having his own problems with his play. Chris Nilan recently said that Galchenyuk isn't moving his feet, he's making bad passes and he effort level is low and that they need someone to light his rear end on fire. And obviously that's all on Alex. 

However, is it possible that all of that has happened because of what they have said and done with Alex and how they have treated him. Could any other young player have thrived in the situations he has been put in? Think of the 22 and 23 year olds you know. Could they have soared with confidence and been successful at what they were doing if they were put under the scrutiny of millions of fans and media, and almost all of it negative? 

So I think we have to ask, what has been the role of the coaches and management in this unfolding tragic scene. I have found myself wondering lately if Bergevin has to have the proverbial "whipping boy". It always seemed like he put up with Subban but that internally, at least between MT and MB, there was this ongoing, quiet [other than the times they publicly threw Suban under the bus], total disapproval of how Suban played and carried himself on and off the ice. He didn't fit their mold, on and off the ice, and most of us probably sensed something could happen. Can you imagine the rhetoric if Suban was less of a player that he actually was. Third or fourth pairing likely?? But he was too good for them to do that to him. I think most of us wish we still had PK on our team, especially this year.

Now it seems that they've put Alex in that same position. He's 23, many players haven't even made the NHL at that age, and without being there every day to be firsthand witnesses,  it seems to me like they're just leaving him alone to sink or swim. As recently as a year ago at this time, where was Alex in scoring and offensive ability on our team. If not our best, close to it.....and with him playing centre we started the season as one of the top NHL teams and he was close to a point per game. Where has that gone?? Has Alex suddenly lost that ability? 

My point is that after watching this unfold over the past year my conclusion this week is that we are totally mishandling Alex. By all the public comments they've made about him, they have put the spotlight squarely on him....by all the trade talk over the past 4-5 months they have made him feel  unwanted.....by saying so often he is not a centre which is their greatest need [remembering how well he did at centre before his injury last year], they've shattered his confidence and I think the only answer is they have to stop all the negativity which seems to have sunk him to depths he hasn't been to before and may have a lot of trouble recovering in Montreal if nothing changes. 

My opinion? If they don't stop all the bashing, whipping and negativity with their 23 old very talented player he is going to be another Justin Shultz, who Edmonton dumped and he is now thriving in Pittsburg. 

They should start a salvage plan with Alex and sit him down and begin to work with him in a positive way. One of the TV commentators said instead of demoting Alex to the fourth line they should put him back on the top line and challenge him to keep up and do everything they can to recapture what is hopefully still there waiting to come out. 

What do you think? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, REV-G said:

So do you not think that this situation is being totally mismanaged?

I think we all would agree that Alex is having his own problems with his play. Chris Nilan recently said that Galchenyuk isn't moving his feet, he's making bad passes and he effort level is low and that they need someone to light his rear end on fire. And obviously that's all on Alex. 

However, is it possible that all of that has happened because of what they have said and done with Alex and how they have treated him. Could any other young player have thrived in the situations he has been put in? Think of the 22 and 23 year olds you know. Could they have soared with confidence and been successful at what they were doing if they were put under the scrutiny of millions of fans and media, and almost all of it negative? 

So I think we have to ask, what has been the role of the coaches and management in this unfolding tragic scene. I have found myself wondering lately if Bergevin has to have the proverbial "whipping boy". It always seemed like he put up with Subban but that internally, at least between MT and MB, there was this ongoing, quiet [other than the times they publicly threw Suban under the bus], total disapproval of how Suban played and carried himself on and off the ice. He didn't fit their mold, on and off the ice, and most of us probably sensed something could happen. Can you imagine the rhetoric if Suban was less of a player that he actually was. Third or fourth pairing likely?? But he was too good for them to do that to him. I think most of us wish we still had PK on our team, especially this year.

Now it seems that they've put Alex in that same position. He's 23, many players haven't even made the NHL at that age, and without being there every day to be firsthand witnesses,  it seems to me like they're just leaving him alone to sink or swim. As recently as a year ago at this time, where was Alex in scoring and offensive ability on our team. If not our best, close to it.....and with him playing centre we started the season as one of the top NHL teams and he was close to a point per game. Where has that gone?? Has Alex suddenly lost that ability? 

My point is that after watching this unfold over the past year my conclusion this week is that we are totally mishandling Alex. By all the public comments they've made about him, they have put the spotlight squarely on him....by all the trade talk over the past 4-5 months they have made him feel  unwanted.....by saying so often he is not a centre which is their greatest need [remembering how well he did at centre before his injury last year], they've shattered his confidence and I think the only answer is they have to stop all the negativity which seems to have sunk him to depths he hasn't been to before and may have a lot of trouble recovering in Montreal if nothing changes. 

My opinion? If they don't stop all the bashing, whipping and negativity with their 23 old very talented player he is going to be another Justin Shultz, who Edmonton dumped and he is now thriving in Pittsburg. 

They should start a salvage plan with Alex and sit him down and begin to work with him in a positive way. One of the TV commentators said instead of demoting Alex to the fourth line they should put him back on the top line and challenge him to keep up and do everything they can to recapture what is hopefully still there waiting to come out. 

What do you think? 

I think it's irrelevant how he got this way in regards as to what to do with him individually.  Fact is he's damaged goods mentally and perhaps physically as well.  It's time to cut their losses and get what you can for him.  Making trades is a gamble and right now odds are he'll never be the player he should have been, at least not in Montreal.  So to all his defenders, answer this: what if they give him a real shot this season in Montreal with first line minutes an PP time and he shits the bed.  What do you do then?  I'll tell ya what you'll do.  You'll wish they traded him at the start of the season when his value was still in doubt.  After another bad season and he'll fetch a bag of pucks.  That's the going  rate for a one dimensional offensive player who can't produce.

46 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Thats not what i said. 

I said that your comment that he's regressed for three straight seasons is flat out wrong.  And it is.... factually... the comment is wrong. 

I'm not happy with his play this season... but that is no reason to make up facts about the last three years. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Thats not what i said. 

I said that your comment that he's regressed for three straight seasons is flat out wrong.  And it is.... factually... the comment is wrong. 

I'm not happy with his play this season... but that is no reason to make up facts about the last three years. 

Whatever man who cares.  Does everything here have to be so literal. 3 years ...2 years ...whatever.  His downfall started when he got bitch slapped by that hooker or stripper or whatever the f she was.  Oops better get my facts straight or the Habs forum police will be all over me.  I think any reasonable person can see he's on a downward trend and it didn't just start this season. It's been ongoing. 

1 minute ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Whatever man who cares.  Does everything here have to be so literate. 3 years ...2 years ...whatever.  His downfall started when he got bitch slapped by that hooker or stripper or whatever the f she was.  Oops better get my facts straight or the Habs forum police will be all over me.  I think any reasonable person can see he's on a downward trend and it didn't just start this season. It's been ongoing. 

Thanks for downvoting ALL of the posts that disagree with you.

We'll see how you like it now.

2 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Sure, it's a 2 way street

I wasn't even saying just me... but you are hitting everyone who calls you on your bullshit... don, CC, R-G, etc...

Just because people disagree with you on Galchenyuk and don't think this slump goes back to 2014... is no reason to act like a petulant child. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I wasn't even saying just me... but you are hitting everyone who calls you on your bullshit... don, CC, R-G, etc...

Just because people disagree with you on Galchenyuk and don't think this slump goes back to 2014... is no reason to act like a petulant child. 

Bull shit, lol.  I disagree and I think you're the one with skid marks all over your face. Fancy calling me a child and baiting me and downvoting and then getting all bitchy when he gets the same medicine.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Bull shit, lol.  I disagree and I think you're the one with skid marks all over your face. Fancy calling me a child and baiting me and downvoting and then getting all bitchy when he gets the same medicine.

Did you just say I'm the one with skid marks on my face, and you think that I'm the one acting like a child????

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Whatever man who cares.  Does everything here have to be so literal. 3 years ...2 years ...whatever.  His downfall started when he got bitch slapped by that hooker or stripper or whatever the f she was.  Oops better get my facts straight or the Habs forum police will be all over me.  I think any reasonable person can see he's on a downward trend and it didn't just start this season. It's been ongoing. 

Just because someone doesn't see this situation the same way you do doesn't automatically make them unreasonable, nor does it require getting personal (or downvoting anyone who disagrees with you).  This has actually been a very good thread so far with quite a few good points made, I'd hate to see it spiral in the wrong direction.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Just because someone doesn't see this situation the same way you do doesn't automatically make them unreasonable, nor does it require getting personal (or downvoting anyone who disagrees with you).  This has actually been a very good thread so far with quite a few good points made, I'd hate to see it spiral in the wrong direction.

Actually I was downvoted first, not that I really give a shit but it must bother some of the homers here so payback is a bitch.  Secondly, if you go back and read carefully you will see that  El Commandante started the name calling not once but twice before I retorted.  Seems more than one person here has trouble understanding the facts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Habs owned the 70's said:

Actually I was downvoted first, not that I really give a shit but it must bother some of the homers here so payback is a bitch.  Secondly, if you go back and read carefully you will see that  El Commandante started the name calling not once but twice before I retorted.  Seems more than one person here has trouble understanding the facts.

Did I really need to quote a post from both you and him to get the point across?  I chose yours because I wanted to respond to your suggestion saying that any reasonable person can see he has been on a downward spiral for a while now.  The first couple of pages in this thread show that it's not necessarily obvious that he has been on a downward spiral for several years like you believe.  At the very least, there's a fair discussion to be had that goes beyond suggesting that anyone who doesn't see things my way is automatically unreasonable.  To do that, I had to quote your post and while I was at it, added in the bit about not making it personal.  That wasn't just directed at you. 

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Did I really need to quote a post from both you and him to get the point across?  I chose yours because I wanted to respond to your suggestion saying that any reasonable person can see he has been on a downward spiral for a while now.  The first couple of pages in this thread show that it's not necessarily obvious that he has been on a downward spiral for several years like you believe.  At the very least, there's a fair discussion to be had that goes beyond suggesting that anyone who doesn't see things my way is automatically unreasonable.  To do that, I had to quote your post and while I was at it, added in the bit about not making it personal.  That wasn't just directed at you. 

Well when you say it only to me then yeah, it is only being directed to me.  To top it off you call me out for downvoting but it's ok for others to downvote me first and call me names but I get the criticism for responding in kind.  Hmmm, i don't think I need legal council on this one. Open and shut case your honour.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Well when you say it only to me then yeah, it is only being directed to me.  To top it off you call me out for downvoting but it's ok for others to downvote me first and call me names but I get the criticism for responding in kind.  Hmmm, i don't think I need legal council on this one. Open and shut case your honour.

No, it was not just directed at you although in hindsight I could have specified that clearer and I apologize for giving you that impression.  It's quite common for me to respond to one post with a comment that the personal potshots aren't wanted instead of quoting both posters or posting their names/usernames specifically.  Frankly, I shouldn't have to post it - it should be well known already.

Regarding the downvoting, yes, that was directed at you as it's pretty evident that you went on a spree where you downvoted everyone that disagreed with you.  There's no firm rule against that but it's petty and typically not well-received on here.  It's your prerogative if you want to keep doing that but be prepared for the complaints that typically follow someone who does that. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

21 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Regarding the downvoting, yes, that was directed at you as it's pretty evident that you went on a spree where you downvoted everyone that disagreed with you.  There's no firm rule against that but it's petty and typically not well-received on here.  It's your prerogative if you want to keep doing that but be prepared for the complaints that typically follow someone who does that. 

• lazy26 changed the title to Who's to blame when it comes to Galchenyuk?