Who's to blame when it comes to Galchenyuk?

Habsfan1989

So it's ok for others to downvote me when they disagree with me but I can't do the same when I disagree with a post?  Double standard? Again, it was made personal against me first by saying my opinion was bullshit and I was acting like a petulant child.  That was the first volley fired.  After that everything is fair game.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

So it's ok for others to downvote me when they disagree with me but I can't do the same when I disagree with a post?  Double standard? Again, it was made personal against me first by saying my opinion was bullshit and I was acting like a petulant child.  That was the first volley fired.  After that everything is fair game.

Time to move on, friend. Let's get the thread back on track.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Downvoting a single post from time to time is fine.  Downvoting a large sequence all at once is where people tend to get their backs up.  That's not a double standard, that's two different situations entirely.

And no, just because someone calls you out does not make everything fair game.  And if I didn't make it clear earlier, it stops here (not just for you either to make that as clear as possible).

If you still have questions or concerns, I'd appreciate it if you would send me a PM and that way we can allow the thread to get back on track.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Downvoting a single post from time to time is fine.  Downvoting a large sequence all at once is where people tend to get their backs up.  That's not a double standard, that's two different situations entirely.

And no, just because someone calls you out does not make everything fair game.  And if I didn't make it clear earlier, it stops here (not just for you either to make that as clear as possible).

If you still have questions or concerns, I'd appreciate it if you would send me a PM and that way we can allow the thread to get back on track.

Well by my count I was downvoted 8 times, not once and in my world when someone attacks you it is fair game to retaliate but like I said I have a thick skin so if nobody else wants to insult me or attack my post there is no need for this to continue.  But I will reply to anyone in kind who wishes to do so.

Right now, I see Galchenyuk as a more talented Kostitsyn. He has a lot of the tools you can't teach offensively, but just seems to make poor choices with the puck. That is coachable. He HAS improved year over year offensively up until last years injury. He DOES score most when he is playing centre. He does give the puck away and make bone head plays in the defensive zone. I would like to see a patient approach with him. I also believe that his point progression year over year and his pedigree warrant a promotion to a top line. It's not like some other player is burying goals and deserves to stay up there. 

• Upvote 1

There is blame to go around but I believe most of this falls on the coach.

He plays centre for most of a year and scores 30 goals. The next year they tell him he isn't a centre and use him up and down the lines looking for the right fit. In comes CJ and now he is on the 4th line in the playoffs and now here we are again in a new season and he is going to be on the fourth line again...

Wouldn't you be thinking "but I scored 30 goals when playing centre, WTF is going on here"?

Teams need offensively gifted players that are offensively minded. He is not an all around player like say  Plex no matter what they want him to be. If the vision for this team is to be a grinding, wear you down, trapping, dumping team then he doesn't fit.

Why not try him at centre with Drouin on the wing? What have we got to loose!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

What you were on point about which no one should have downvoted you for is that it's not a bad time to trade him. I agree that it's silly to wait for him to play better for us and then trade him because at that point, you want him on your team.

I'll say only very shortly that I was an advocate of getting Duchene in the summer if only because Galchenyuk didn't have a defined role with us. It was argued that Duchene plays both wing and center just like Galchenyuk, but this season, I only see him at center.

Where the line that was drawn isn't as clear is that Galchenyuk has been a very good player for us. He had a tonne of game winning goals last year when people were already complaining about him. This makes me feel as though a lot of these negative vibes attached to Galchenyuk are overstated. He's been a decent player and had trouble recovering from an injury.

The issue I do see is that although it's been argued that he had a decent first month under Julien, Galchenyuk has been treated differently since Julien has arrived. I cannot rememeber Therrien having Galcheyuk in a 4th line role and Julien has him there when all the chips were on the line (outside of one important faceoff) and the Habs did not have a first line center.

One can, judging by the way the lines have been configured this season, see that it's not as though Julien had all the trust in the world in Danault as a top line center. He just did not want Galchenyuk there. There are some who can agree with that but when you had the players we did last season and first line players are generally filled with players who are naturally talented, one can summise that Galchenyuk may have been the best option when things were going tough. There aren't many players on our squad who had played there before, like Galchenyuk had.  I know, I've head that he didn't "deserve" it.

When looking at this season, I stated earlier in this thread I believe that Bergevin has made it very tough on Julien to be a coach who can do things freely due to stating that Galchenyuk is clearly not a center and shouldn't be played as one. When the going went tough for Galchenyuk in the past, the coach could switch him from 1st line center to 1st line wing to 2nd line wing to 2nd line center. Now it seems as though the options are limited to 2nd line wing or 3rd or 4th line wing. 

There are less opportunities for Galchenyuk to thrive, whether or not he deserves it. 

As a result, this season more than ever has a little bit of everyone at fault in my opinion. Galchenyuk has not been playing well, but in my personal opinion the general manager also made a comment that was out of his place. Some liked that he put the issue to rest, but it was a comment for the coach to make, not any general manager. With that being said Julien also had Galchenyuk in this position last season before any such comments were made. 

All three are culprits but as time goes on, it is indeed going to be the relationship between Galchenyuk and himself as well

as the relationship between Galchenyuk and Julien that will matter most when deciding how things will play out and who is to "blame" for the situation. Galchenyuk is the most common denominator and mostly, it's up to him.

5 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

I see the Chucky fan boys see no faults.  Blah, blah, blah, keep spouting your man love for this waste.  Fact is when he touches the puck I know the play is over because he's about to turn it over and send the opponent in for a odd man rush.  

I been very critical of his play since pre-season, but I am just not seriously worried he is washed up at 22 or however young he is.

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

For the record.... I downvoted him ONCE for saying it was three years of regression out of Galchenyuk... which is not true and a made up fact.  I don't like made up facts.   So yeah, I downvoted that.  I also called it out. 

I then noticed he was downvoting everyone.  Not just me, repeatedly, but CC, Rev-G, Don, and others in this thread.  It was at that point i made a number of downvotes cause I felt that was being unfair to do to others. 

Guest Stogey24
20 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

Well by my count I was downvoted 8 times, not once and in my world when someone attacks you it is fair game to retaliate but like I said I have a thick skin so if nobody else wants to insult me or attack my post there is no need for this to continue.  But I will reply to anyone in kind who wishes to do so.

Go home 

Again, it was only after you were downvoting every single person in the thread that I went back and got more of your posts.  I did that to make a point when you were hitting everyone.  I would have been more than willing to remove them if you understood.  

Instead, I see you are still downvoting all of my posts even after this was supposed to be over though.

The thing about downvotes is....it's the opinion of a complete stranger on the internet that you're not ever going to meet in real life...so how bent out of shape should you allow it to get you?  Not very, I would hope.

• lazy26 changed the title to Who's to blame when it comes to Galchenyuk?

I lay most of the blame at the feet of the Habs organization! Chucky had 30 goals playing at center, and suddenly he's not good enough to be a center. They've moved him around so much, that the kid doesn't know where to play anymore. Once again, the Habs will ###### up a good young player and he'll end up being traded away! 

• Upvote 2

Just an opinion, but I 100% blame Chucky.

Nothing is given in the NHL. You have a bad week you likely get less playing time. You gotta play out of it. He didn't like being on the fourth line? He should have performed to get off of it.

His start to this season has been brutal. He seems uninterested, lazy. You don't get back to the top line playing like he is.

Want to be a Center? Dominate on the wing. Win some face offs when your Center gets tossed. He doesn't do either.

He's making it too easy on the coaches to play him where they are.

He's one of the most talented players on the team. His play needs to reflect his talent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Just an opinion, but I 100% blame Chucky.

Nothing is given in the NHL. You have a bad week you likely get less playing time. You gotta play out of it. He didn't like being on the fourth line? He should have performed to get off of it.

His start to this season has been brutal. He seems uninterested, lazy. You don't get back to the top line playing like he is.

Want to be a Center? Dominate on the wing. Win some face offs when your Center gets tossed. He doesn't do either.

He's making it too easy on the coaches to play him where they are.

He's one of the most talented players on the team. His play needs to reflect his talent.

They put him at centre and he tore it up. Played his ass off and scored 30 goals.

He was rewarded for his hard work and results by being demoted.

He is simply not the type of player that CJ likes. If CJ could have 23 Plekanecs on the team he would. Chuck is not blameless but the majority of this belongs at CJ's feet.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They put him at centre and he tore it up. Played his ass off and scored 30 goals.

He is simply not the type of player that CJ likes. If CJ could have 23 Plekanecs on the team he would. Chuck is not blameless but the majority of this belongs at CJ's feet.

Chucky has been the topic of debate well before CJ even came. There were talks of MT misusing him. Yes, he scored 30 but he was a -8. AS good as he was putting the puck in the net, he was still on the ice more often when the other team was scoring... not that it was always his fault, obviously, but it's still a telling stat. 

(Pacs scored 30 that year and was a -10. )

The next year he regresses to 17 and is a -5. 

This year he is a -2. 

Any coach likes + players. 

I'm a Chucky fan. I just think he hasn't handled it very well. He seems mopey, down in the dumps. He doesn't have a defined role because he hasn't earned it. 

I'd trade him for Duchy and get a player with a more defined role. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He has 'ruined' him in <30games as coach?

There's no question that Galy is a one-dimensional player, and likely to remain so IMHO. I just don't think he has the hockey smarts to be more than he is. 

So if we're looking for someone to 'blame' for that, it has to be him.

The real question is why his offensive game has suddenly dried up. And pointing to the coaching change seems pretty reasonable to me.

51 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There's no question that Galy is a one-dimensional player, and likely to remain so IMHO. I just don't think he has the hockey smarts to be more than he is. 

So if we're looking for someone to 'blame' for that, it has to be him.

The real question is why his offensive game has suddenly dried up. And pointing to the coaching change seems pretty reasonable to me.

Coaching change? His offense has dried up because the effort isn't there. He takes the majority of his shifts off. He's turned into another floater. 

All this blame on the coach.. what's CJ supposed to do? The Habs have been trailing a lot this season.. you don't give more ice time to minus players. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Coaching change? His offense has dried up because the effort isn't there. He takes the majority of his shifts off. He's turned into another floater. 

All this blame on the coach.. what's CJ supposed to do? The Habs have been trailing a lot this season.. you don't give more ice time to minus players. 

Yep, Galy looks either unmotivated or lacking in confidence. But like I said earlier in this thread, under Therrien his offensive production consistently improved, such that he was reliably an effective threat. THIS has only changed since Julien came to power. That's why I suggested that the real culprit is the relationship between CJ and Galy. The two have not yet been able to work out a successful dynamic.

Galchenyuk was understandably integrated slowly when he was just 18 and gradually built his game up until two years ago when he scored 30. Even if a bunch of those goals were scored towards the end of that season when the Habs were basically eliminated and therefore the intensity was at a lower level during those games, 30 goals is 30 goals.

Last year he was doing great until he got injured. Now let's face it, he has been horrible (with a few exceptions) ever since. It's not the coaches, it's not his line mates, it's him. He's mentally fragile since and is not showing a high enough level of intensity and desire for the coaches to have confidence in him. I'm disappointed, because the fans and the organisation had a lot of hope that he would solve our problem we have had at center for the past 25 years or so. He just doesn't have the hockey IQ to play center. 

He either works his way out of his funk, which I now have doubts that he's able to, or we move on and trade him, which is what I would do if we could get decent value. If not, let's stop trying to find who's responsible for his poor quality of play, HE is responsible. Let him play wing and hope he gets some confidence back and leave him alone.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chuko23 said:

Galchenyuk was understandably integrated slowly when he was just 18 and gradually built his game up until two years ago when he scored 30. Even if a bunch of those goals were scored towards the end of that season when the Habs were basically eliminated and therefore the intensity was at a lower level during those games, 30 goals is 30 goals.

Last year he was doing great until he got injured. Now let's face it, he has been horrible (with a few exceptions) ever since. It's not the coaches, it's not his line mates, it's him. He's mentally fragile since and is not showing a high enough level of intensity and desire for the coaches to have confidence in him. I'm disappointed, because the fans and the organisation had a lot of hope that he would solve our problem we have had at center for the past 25 years or so. He just doesn't have the hockey IQ to play center. 

He either works his way out of his funk, which I now have doubts that he's able to, or we move on and trade him, which is what I would do if we could get decent value. If not, let's stop trying to find who's responsible for his poor quality of play, HE is responsible. Let him play wing and hope he gets some confidence back and leave him alone.

Excellent first post! Welcome to HW!