Who's to blame when it comes to Galchenyuk?

Habsfan1989

Drouin against the Sabres

2 hours ago, illWill said:

The Habs are in the business of winning hockey games, not to drive player's value up or down. Aside from a few periods of effort, Galchenyuk has done nothing to help this team win. Now if you'd like to talk about how terrible the Habs are at winning hockey games, that's another discussion. 

Galchenyuk has had a number of successful NHL seasons. After Julien showed up, his game went off the rails. If (1) the Habs ship him out at a discount under these circumstances and (2) he recovers his form on his new team, then that outcome will be a testament to inept handling.

I have to say that Galcheyuk is one of our better players. It's clear as day and I'm sure Julien simply has binoculars on his defensive play right now.

With that being said, Duchene is more than a third line player as well. I don't see the trade happening but while it will be true that we "ruined" the development of "another player", Duchene is more capable than people give him credit for. In my opinion he's very close to what this team needs. The only personal issue I have, is that I think Galchenyuk can play just as well at the center position. If Julien doesn't see it but would with Duchene, it wouldn't be the worst move in the world.  That's just my opinion. 

Why he doesn't see it? Well, I've already stated that Bergevin said too much on the topic in the preseason, making life difficult on Julien. So it's hard to tell. 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Galchenyuk has had a number of successful NHL seasons. After Julien showed up, his game went off the rails. If (1) the Habs ship him out at a discount under these circumstances and (2) he recovers his form on his new team, then that outcome will be a testament to inept handling.

Assuming that this statement is true, then sure. But to say that the "Habs are succeeding in driving down his value" at this point in time would be incorrect. Do you honestly think they are trying to bury a young 30 goal scorer down in the lineup to minimize his trade value? 

My opinion is that if he really is a star in the making, then it doesn't matter if Therrien, Julien, Scotty Bowman, or a monkey with a suit on is coaching. Great players rise above the rest, they work their way UP the lineup, not down. If the coach wants them to do something, they do it. And at the very least if they don't have the skill or smarts to do it, they work their ass off. Galchenyuk is doing absolutely nothing out there. He looks lost, disinterested and unworthy of playing time. The only person driving down his value is himself. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, illWill said:

Assuming that this statement is true, then sure. But to say that the "Habs are succeeding in driving down his value" at this point in time would be incorrect. Do you honestly think they are trying to bury a young 30 goal scorer down in the lineup to minimize his trade value? 

My opinion is that if he really is a star in the making, then it doesn't matter if Therrien, Julien, Scotty Bowman, or a monkey with a suit on is coaching. Great players rise above the rest, they work their way UP the lineup, not down. If the coach wants them to do something, they do it. And at the very least if they don't have the skill or smarts to do it, they work their ass off. Galchenyuk is doing absolutely nothing out there. He looks lost, disinterested and unworthy of playing time. The only person driving down his value is himself. 

I'm saying the EFFECT of their dealings with Galchenyuk is lowering his value; and, as with wins and losses, the results are ultimately what matter. And since Galy had shown consistent improvement prior to Julien showing up, I think it's reasonable to infer that Julien is a relevant variable here. (Not to let Galy off the hook either).

I don't necessarily agree that Galy is a 'star in the making.' I see him as a somewhat neurotic player maxing out as a one-dimensional torpedo, in a good year likely to get 25-30 goals, 60-70 points. He is not a McDavid or Matthews who will be incredible no matter what the hell the team and coaches around him are doing. And I think that in a cap system, you have to be able to develop players like that. Any fool can develop a player who is incredibly dedicated and self-confident, like Gallagher (although how's he doing lately?) or super-gifted like those guys. It's the teams that can take a Kessel or a Kane or a Seguin - players regarded by old school jerk-offs as 'problems' to be persecuted and gotten rid of - and get full value from them that are going to excel in a cap system, IMHO.

Galchenyuk has played decent recently throughout this all. Just as much as Julien is throwing him all over the place, the fans and media are making a big deal of the situation themselves. He got 18 minutes of ice time last game which was his highest in recent memory and we also lost 6-2. We can't really blame

Julien for shaking things up. Pacioretty is also off the top line as well. He only got 1 shot on net with those 18 minutes but the point is that Julien did recognize his better play and showed him opportunity. I've said that Galchenyuk has deserved a longer leash in the past and I still think it holds true even now but this at least shows me that Julien is willing to give him a shot when he performs. 

Personally I'll have to see how it all plays out. I think recently Galchenyuk has shown effort (at least offensively) whether he has been on the 1st line or 4th line. If he can continue to do this, it doesn't strongly matter where he plays as long as he can continue to give 100%. I like Galchenyuk as much as anyone else, but he hasn't shown either that he is the answer we are looking for. It's possible he is, and I would give him a shot, but it's also hopeful thinking that he does help us as much as we'd want even if he were higher in the lineup. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

A goal going hard to the net. 

And not playing with  4th liners - albeit itwasonthe PP.

It's the teams that can take a Kessel or a Kane or a Seguin - players regarded by old school jerk-offs as 'problems' to be persecuted and gotten rid of - and get full value from them that are going to excel in a cap system, IMHO.

Well said Cuke! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Take out the goal scoring comment and you would think that MB is talking about himself?

Guest Stogey24

Agent Dan Milstein alleged that Montreal coach Claude Julien has a problem with Russian hockey players.

“Alex Galchenyuk isn’t a problem but coach is. Has never successfully coached Russian. Took midseason most-Russian club. All but one Russian gone,” said Milstein on Twitter.

Just now, Stogey24 said:

Agent Dan Milstein alleged that Montreal coach Claude Julien has a problem with Russian hockey players.

“Alex Galchenyuk isn’t a problem but coach is. Has never successfully coached Russian. Took midseason most-Russian club. All but one Russian gone,” said Milstein on Twitter.

Should be noted that this isn't Galchenyuk's agent.

The Galchenyuk Circus is officially in town.

This is Montreal. With that arsehole Tremblay spouting off about rehab - which, whether true or not, he has no damned right to do - and this story now getting reported nationally, as well as this agent spouting off and the GM publicly commenting on his struggles, we're hitting critical mass for the media frenzy. It will get to the point where Galy *needs* to be shipped out just for his own sanity, and where the Habs feel they need to ship him out to remove a bad PR story. I've seen this kind of crap before in Montreal, and it gets especially bad when the team is garbage - as though the media machine starts sniffing around for other stories besides the drudgery on the ice.

I'll be shocked if he's still around by Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Trade him and Pacioretty for RNH and Draisettel (who i believe is a center playing wing) 

Unfortunately, EDM is not being managed by Bergevin, so they will not be stupid enough to make that trade

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

I read they were looking for a goal scoring winger to play with Mcdavid and casperetty was on their list. 

Well, I'd trade Patches for Draisaitl without blinking. 

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I'd trade Patches for Draisaitl without blinking. 

I would trade any player on our team for Draisaitl without blinking.