Mark Streit on waivers

Trizzak

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Oh well. He should never have been signed in the first place.

This is also further proof that Mete will last more than 9 games. 

I'm happy, I really didn't get the signing either. It was almost like a Markov patch job

50 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

I'm happy, I really didn't get the signing either. It was almost like a Markov patch job

It kind of was even though he doesn't have comparable skill or salary at this point.

The problem is (and was when we signed him) that we still need some offensive production from the back end. I have Mete at this point in fantasy to demonstrate my unbiased opinion but I don't think he's that guy. 20-30 points would be great from him and that's likely asking a lot as well. There's also still potential this season does not work out for him, as much as I'd like it to.

Streit probably would  have been capable of getting somewhere in that range as well but that would have only been the case if given top 4 minutes and power play time and he would have probably cost us more than 20-30 goals on the defensive side of things I feel that were the case.

Schlemko will also probably top out at about 20 points when injuries and everything else are taken into consideration. I expect Schlemko to be nice for us but he's not particularly an offensive machine.

It's funny because I try to keep a realistic

viewpoint all the while disliking being repetitively negative because I know how annoying it is as a fan to have other fans bash the team but at this point I have to believe that Sergechev would have been our best option and hope for having a more offensive back end.

We can talk about how he didn't excel last year and Mete did this year but I can imagine that he would have excelled next to Weber if given the opportunity. Second of all, our left side had much more depth last year. 

Markov

Beaulieu

Emelin

Sergachev 

Vs

Alzner

Schlemko

Mete

Sergachev

Davidson

Streit

A team without Markov would be a much easier team for Sergachev's strengths to appear valuable. 

In my opinion, it was either Markov or Sergechev and it just would have depended on whether or not we were going for youth or veteran leadership. This year we don't have Markov and so Sergachev may have excelled just as Mete is as well.

The on topic point is that while Streit should be kicked to the curb, we don't have any offense on the back end and that was something, if not the only thing, he was supposed to be capable of bringing to the table. Fans complain about offence but when the puck is being transitioned out of our zone, I'm not sure how we're supposed to score many goals when our defense tops out at 20 points (+Weber), especially 5 on 5. Based on statistics alone, our defense will have to not touch the puck quite often for us to have a chance. I say that tongue in cheek but......

I don't think our defence looked particularly great against the Caps either. 

Two things are true, however. 

1) I haven't watched any of Sergachev in Tampa. I just caught one highlight of a pre season goal of his.

2) Last year I thought Beaulieu could grow into the role as well.

So clearly I seem to put a lot of faith in young defenseman who have skill, can be physical and have offensive potential. I also may expect too much from Weber in terms of his impact on others. 

I'll try to catch some of Tampa's game against Pittsburgh tonight if I can remember. 

Guest Stogey24

I'm the same way.

There's no question Sergachev is going to be a great defensemen. This year, I don't know, but he has all the tools 

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Schlemko must be close to returning 

He said he was hoping to play on Saturday and this would suggest he has a shot at doing so.  Assuming he clears, I think he's heading for a mutual contract termination.

• dlbalr changed the title to Mark Streit on waivers
3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He said he was hoping to play on Saturday and this would suggest he has a shot at doing so.  Assuming he clears, I think he's heading for a mutual contract termination.

What does that mean, or why is that?

4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I'm the same way.

There's no question Sergachev is going to be a great defensemen. This year, I don't know, but he has all the tools 

Haven't caught the game but it looks like Tampa is playing 7 defensemen and Sergachev has only 5 minutes of ice time almost half way through the 3rd.

12 hours ago, DON said:

What does that mean, or why is that?

A mutual contract termination means both sides agree to walk away from the contract.  This has happened a few times with the Habs, most recently with Semin a few years ago.  This will allow him to go back to Switzerland while maintaining eligibility to play in the Olympics.  If Montreal just loans him to a Swiss team (and they can do that if they want to keep him available to be recalled), he wouldn't be Olympic-eligible.

12 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Those are two separate thoughts - the first about Schlemko, the 2nd about Streit. 

Ahh, got it.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A mutual contract termination means both sides agree to walk away from the contract.  This has happened a few times with the Habs, most recently with Semin a few years ago.  This will allow him to go back to Switzerland while maintaining eligibility to play in the Olympics.  If Montreal just loans him to a Swiss team (and they can do that if they want to keep him available to be recalled), he wouldn't be Olympic-eligible.

Thought you meant Schlemko.

A bit of a pathetic end to Mark Streit's outstanding career. Letting him walk was one of the most serious, and unheralded, mistakes of the Gainey era. He was a legit top-pairing guy and the Habs failed to realize it.

I imagine Schlemko will be a one-and-done and that he'll be available to play against the Leafs tomorrow so there's really only a short-term impact.  I'd really be surprised if Streit actually suits up for Laval.  They couldn't put him on unconditional waivers today as they had to see if he was going to clear first but as of tomorrow, they can put him back on the waiver wire.

With Streit not reporting as expected, there isn't really much to consider when it comes to his options.  He can sit and not get paid/retire or ask for his release.  If he wants to play in the Olympics, the second option is the only one to consider unless his agent thinks he can facilitate a trade still.

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Fun fact: With Streit's salary no longer counting against the cap, the Habs now have the 4th most cap space in the league. 

Either the Beer Baron is celebrating by buying himself another yacht OR Bergevin is hoarding space with an eye to a big move somewhere down the line. Just about the only card he has left to play is a huge trade-and-sign for someone like Tavares, unless some super-elite UFA somehow surfaces.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Either the Beer Baron is celebrating by buying himself another yacht OR Bergevin is hoarding space with an eye to a big move somewhere down the line. Just about the only card he has left to play is a huge trade-and-sign for someone like Tavares, unless some super-elite UFA somehow surfaces.

There's always the possibility of taking on a big (expiring) contract with another asset for a low acquisition cost to allow that other team to make a move as well.  The longer he holds onto the cap space, I think the chances of that happening improve.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think they planned to spend the space, they just have nothing to spend it on.