Leafs vs Habs 7:00p.m. Oct 14 2017

DON

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I thought he's been danault. (which is to say he's not good enough as 2nd liner, but fine as a third).

Yeah, only this team would pencil that guy in as a top-6 C :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, only this team would pencil that guy in as a top-6 C :rolleyes:

He did get 40 points in his first full NHL season last year (though some of that is benefitting from half a season with the team's two best wingers). Still 40 points is not nothing.  Remember its 10 points more than Lars Eller's career high, and how many times were we told that he is a top 6 centre by various media, posters, people on twitter, etc....  so maybe Danault can be a 2nd liner in his prime.  50 points would be an adequate #2 C.  That said, he's not there yet. 

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

Two goals...in one period...offensive outburst!  If Carey can wake up and make some big saves, this is a very winnable game.

I don't think Price had any chance on either goal, TBH. I'm still kind of in awe of that Matthews goal. That was deadly.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think Price had any chance on either goal, TBH. I'm still kind of in awe of that Matthews goal. That was deadly.

I'm ok with the Matthews goal...but he didn't look like he was set well on the first goal.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

His positioning was way off on the second goal, not square to the shot and he over-pushed.  It was still a nice shot but Price gave him a ton of open space to shoot at.

Nice to see Galchenyuk actually shoot the puck instead of looking for the pass.  He's a good playmaker but he's also a good shooter and the Habs need goal scoring threats.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That was a deadly shot, but he's also Carey Price. 

I'm not blaming him for missing it, but I also wouldn't have been shocked if he came up with it.  That's just what he does. 

But I agree, not blaming him for not getting it.  

He's so good, and makes it look so easy that any goal that goes in, you think he could get it 

Just now, Commandant said:

I'm not blaming him for missing it, but I also wouldn't have been shocked if he came up with it.  That's just what he does. 

True.  He has obligated himself to make most of the hard saves by commanding the record-breaking salary for a goaltender.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

But I agree, not blaming him for not getting it.  

He's so good, and makes it look so easy that any goal that goes in, you think he could get it 

I always defer to people with a better grasp on goaltending fundamentals than me. Still, the first shot was a funky bounce and the second one was an absolute bullet to the very top of the far corner. I'm more sympathetic to the idea that if he'd been better set it would have dinged off his shoulder - but I give Matthews full credit for that laser beam.

Just now, sbhatt said:

True.  He has obligated himself to make most of the hard saves by commanding the record-breaking salary for a goaltender.

That's what caused Theodore to explode into fragments 

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

And he does make most.

He hasn't obligated himself to be perfect.