Leafs vs Habs 7:00p.m. Oct 14 2017

DON

44 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nice to see that when Galchenyuk scores there's no reward. Back to the bottom six basement with no minutes for him. 

I noticed that too, and also found it strange. If the kid has an issue with confidence, that goal would have put the wind in his sails. Assuming that the objective is to get him on track offensively, surely that's the moment to empower him with big minutes and top linemates? What gives?

On another note, it's amazing to me to read the amount of anti-Price sentiment all over the web from Habs 'fans.' The failure of fans to appreciate superstars when they have them never ceases to bemuse me. I saw it in Van for years with the Sedins, and I even saw it with Roy all those years ago. Dumb.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I like pointing out that Carey's extension hasn't actually kicked in yet. Just to be annoying when they claim he's not performing like a $10.5 million dollar goalie. 

:thumbs_up:

Some fans seem to think the pay raise means he should somehow be BETTER than the guy he was at $6 mil. Nope, he's being paid to be Carey Price. Period. It's just that he hasn't been Carey Price over the last couple of games. A minor hiccup in an august career.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Nice to see that when Galchenyuk scores there's no reward. Back to the bottom six basement with no minutes for him. 

Also Julien thinking he could stop the Leafs best with Plekanec/Byron/Petry is a good window into why I never cared for Clod.

It's honestly a joke with Galchenyuk. Pacioretty has done absolutely, but you'd never see him playing on the fourth line.

Say what you want, it's bad coaching. 

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Also Julien thinking he could stop the Leafs best with Plekanec/Byron/Petry is a good window into why I never cared for Clod.

He clearly believes that the way to win is shutdown hockey. Don't let them score and maybe we can score one or two and win. Unless Galchenyuk can turn into Plex there isn't much hope for him.

It's a great point about Patches. He has done absolutely f**k all but is immune from any coaching head games or 'accountability' - presumably because he is defensively responsible.

It does look as though CJ is unwilling to contemplate the obvious reality that Galy is and always will remain a one-dimensional offensive player. And that, IMHO, is indeed bad coaching. You can no more insist that Galy be an all-around player than you can insist that Alzner get 40 points. I'll give Therrien this much, he seemed more or less reconciled to that fact and got good production from #27.

To those pointing out Price's raise hasn't kicked in yet, that does not make us any less 'on the hook' for it for a very long time...thus making his current below NHL average level goaltending very worrisome. 

The call-out on Pacioretty is spot-on...he has produced nothing and is his usual soft-as-mush self playing from the perimeter.  That C and his ability to backcheck effectively does seem to make him immune to reprisal from both past and present coach.

Guest Stogey24
9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's a great point about Patches. He has done absolutely f**k all but is immune from any coaching head games or 'accountability' - presumably because he is defensively responsible.

It does look as though CJ is unwilling to contemplate the obvious reality that Galy is and always will remain a one-dimensional offensive player. And that, IMHO, is indeed bad coaching. You can no more insist that Galy be an all-around player than you can insist the Alzner get 40 points

Square peg in a round hole. 

You want to win, play your best players.

Drouin and Galchenyuk NEED to get a look together.

13 hours ago, DON said:

That is BS, his contract $$ were likely best deal his agent could get from Bergevin. Whether it is $9m or $11m/year likely isnt a huge concern for the player to play harder or better.. 

I'm not talking about him trying to play harder/better...I'm talking about him playing like one of the top 3 goaltenders in the game consistently at least, as his big-shot demands seemed to imply he was capable of.  Just do what you are supposed to do...or in the words of Bill Bellichick and the Patriots' organization mantra:  "Do Your Job"  Last night Carey Price did not do his job.

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

To those pointing out Price's raise hasn't kicked in yet, that does not make us any less 'on the hook' for it for a very long time...thus making his current below NHL average level goaltending very worrisome. 

The call-out on Pacioretty is spot-on...he has produced nothing and is his usual soft-as-mush self playing from the perimeter.  That C and his ability to backcheck effectively does seem to make him immune to reprisal from both past and present coach.

Yes i too fully expect that Price's play over a couple games is "very worrisome" and he won't be Carey Price again. 

Come on.

Its fine to say he didnt' play well last night, or even a couple games this year, but there is no reason to believe that he isn't still Carey Price and won't bounce back quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes i too fully expect that Price's play over a couple games is "very worrisome" and he won't be Carey Price again. 

Come on.

Its fine to say he didnt' play well last night, or even a couple games this year, but there is no reason to believe that he isn't still Carey Price and won't bounce back quickly. 

I am hoping that his struggles are just a small patch of sub-par play.  My concern is that he's positioning differently and moving differently, and that makes me wonder if he 'tweaked' his style over the summer....perhaps to protect a wonky knee....and that the new style isn't as effective as vintage Carey when he's a wall back there.  If it's the former, fine, rattle off a string featuring a .930 save percentage and earn back the squandered points...and all will be well.

(BTW, the points on positioning and movement were pointed out to me by a friend who is a goaltender and studies these fine details very closely)

22:26 for Mete, I think he even had a couple chances to score, 6 blocked shots also.

Benn had least icetime of the 6, proper thing and again would prefer to see him sit and Davidson play with Schlemko (if one of the can play right d OK?)

Great to see Galchenyuk with sweet shot and Drouin get 2pts.

Only gave up 22shots... .save percentage of 818% and Priced earned that shitty stat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

It's honestly a joke with Galchenyuk. Pacioretty has done absolutely, but you'd never see him playing on the fourth line.

what you want!

• Upvote 1

We should no more "worry" about Price having a bad 3-4 games than Pens fans should "worry" if Crosby goes quite for a few nights.

Mete looks good, and I have a weird feeling about him - he may turn out to be one of those rare rookies who thrives from being thrown into the deep end, drawing confidence and momentum from it rather than being overwhelmed. Gallagher and Subban were two other examples: Gally came up and made himself indispensable right away, while Subban merely became our #1 defenceman from the moment he first stepped on the ice. Mete seems to be cut from the same cloth.

One wonders whether we ever would have discovered this if idiot Bergevin hadn't screwed the pooch in the Markov negotiations. As with Subban, Mete has been given a huge opportunity because the team is/was desperate for someone to fill a massive roster hole. It's all too painfully plausible to imagine the conservative Habs putting Mete on the third pairing and using him sparingly in order to "make him a complete player" :rolleyes: This might be a case where MB's being a clown actually brings a happy side-effect.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I know breaking your stick and trying to defend without one is pretty much a lost cause. But Galchenyuk  just looked so clueless out there when broke his stick in own end, when he could of at least covered one player, blocked a shot, or gone to bench to get stick. I was just thinking at the time that he should try and just do something-anything instead of spinning in circles in open ice!:blush:

Or am I being overly critical of him?

4 minutes ago, DON said:

I know breaking your stick and trying to defend without one is pretty much a lost cause. But Galchenyuk  just looked so clueless out there when broke his stick in own end, when he could of at least covered one player, blocked a shot, or gone to bench to get stick. I was just thinking at the time that he should try and just do something-anything instead of spinning in circles in open ice!:blush:

Yes, because I am 95% sure that was De La Rose...

Sorry but was the 5% and was the russian kid with no stick...Rose was there on same shift, but had his stick. 

So was I being too hard on lil Alex?

Edited by DON
2nd thought

1 hour ago, DON said:

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Yes, because I am 95% sure that was De La Rose...

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sorry but was the 5% and was the russian kid with no stick...Rose was there on same shift, but had his stick. 

So was I being too hard on lil Alex?

I'm pretty sure that DLR broke his stick and Chucky passed him his FWIW

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Tyler Seguin and Galchenyuk might have things to talk about...

I'm afraid you might be right. I have this nasty feeling that the Habs will trade Chucky as soon as they can get a decent return for him!