Leaders Montreal San Jose

Game Notes

Goals 7 tied with (1) Labanc (3) Puck Drop: 10:30 PM EST
Assists Alzner/Drouin (2) 3 tied with (2) National TV: NBCSN
Points Drouin (3) Labanc (4) Regional TV: TSN2, RDS
PIMS Hemsky (8) Labanc (6) English Radio: TSN 690
+/- 7 tied at (-1) Donskoi (+2) French Radio: FM 98.5

4 minutes ago, huzer said:

Wow, already giving the Habs the loss tonight, eh? Hehe.

Was noted that haven't won in SJ since last century (0-8-2 since 1999), so way overdue!:pray:

This year's team is not following past patterns.

Perhaps this means the western swing will be successful.

They'd better skate their asses off, because our interchageably middling FWs cannot possibly play the 'heavy' game a lot of these clubs can serve up.

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

It would appear that the Sharks aren't the powerhouse that they used to be, so there's hope for this one.

It's an interesting dilemma to be a Sharks fan. That team, along with Washington, have been contenders and semi-contenders for almost a decade. Certainly I'd rather have been in that position than watch the Habs flail around pointlessly with lateral moves and bad management under Bergevin or bomb out under Gainey and The Goat. But there has to be something so infinitely painful in seeing a team stacked with legit star talent crap out in the playoffs year after year after year. I'm still scarred by the bait-and-switches of 2008 and 2015, where it looked like we had a team on the cusp, only to have it all crash down again. Imagine going through that every frigging season!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

I say will get 3 of the possible 6 points on trip. 1-1-1

I'll be at the games in Los Angeles and Anaheim so although I'd like to see a win tonight.....

I'll probably be lucky enough to see Montoya's first start of the year, and he'll likely be facing Quick since Kuemper played their last game. :cry_smile: I vote for Price to play this whole swing. I can almost guarantee a loss tomorrow if what I said is the case. I've been going to the SoCal games for 4-5 years now and have yet to see a win.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's an interesting dilemma to be a Sharks fan. That team, along with Washington, have been contenders and semi-contenders for almost a decade. Certainly I'd rather have been in that position than watch the Habs flail around pointlessly with lateral moves and bad management under Bergevin or bomb out under Gainey and The Goat. But there has to be something so infinitely painful in seeing a team stacked with legit star talent crap out in the playoffs year after year after year. I'm still scarred by the bait-and-switches of 2008 and 2015, where it looked like we had a team on the cusp, only to have it all crash down again. Imagine going through that every frigging season!!!

I've believed in the Habs during other runs as well. It's all about perspective. As I keep overstating, this is the first year I can remember having my doubts about the Habs and their chances and yet obviously other people felt the same way I do now, last year, and the year before that, etc. And technically they we're right. I just find it interesting to hear the same noise when the tabloids say things like "and people are already calling for heads after 4 games". I hear that, but the 4 games is only a small sample size if the eye of the beholder can see light at the end of the tunnel. I have in the past, while those same things were being said. This time I look at that comment differently. I'm not sure it means I'm right one way or the other though. 

Some people truly believe we have a contender this year and some people truly felt we had one last year and some people felt the same ways in 2008, 2010, 2015, throw other years in between. Others didn't, like yourself in 2010, which admittedly saw us outplayed by that same Washington team, and they would have been right. With that being said, it does not mean that the Habs truly did not have close to as much of a chance as San Jose or Washington.

I get what you are saying but similar to the fact that there can be certain types of players who excel in the playoffs or the regular season, there can be teams as well. The Habs have generally had teams filled with players like Gionta, Gill, Moen, Gomez etc. These are players who have won rings before and can exhibit veteran leadership and experience in the right moments.

The Sharks and Capitals have all star players who have never won anything at the NHL level. At a certain point this mental barrier becomes a hurdle and so while I agree that San Jose and Washington have had more top end talented teams, I'm not so sure they've rightly been labeled as higher favorites than the Habs. In the end, they have made the final recently which is more than can be said for us.

This year I would peg Washington as a higher favorite than us to win the cup, but I would probably place them 3rd favorite in the East, let alone the entire league. I don't think that correlates with skill compared to other teams and rather this mental barrier I alluded to due to much of their core and coaching staff remaining intact.

• Like 1

Bob McKenzie said he ignores the 1st two weeks of NHL as being meaningful. 

I thought was interesting comments by Rick Chartraw when speaking with Nilan on TSN690 today.

Talking about how all the players in those 70s cup winning teams had one thing in common...they hated Bowman (grain of salt; Chartraw said he and Bowman were not friendly in the least).

Had funny anecdote;

" I was on bench during a game and felt nudge from Lamaire who said to me "Keep it close, pass it on."

Chartraw said he did but didn't know what was about. said he asked Lamaire after the game what that was about. Lamaire told him if game is close score, then Scotty dosent say anything, but if we are up or losing by much he starts coaching.

If was close but losing in 3rd, they would then pass message to turn it on and go for win.

3 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Not sure if Morrow is the answer, but has been brutal 

I agree, just wishful thinking.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, huzer said:

Wow, already giving the Habs the loss tonight, eh? Hehe.

That's what I get for doing the GDT half asleep early in the morning.  I've fixed it.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

I thought I read he hasn't played an nhl game since last January 

His last regular season game was in January but he played in five of their six playoff games in April.

:gohabsgo:

Feeling a 1 goal game 

Sharks score right after I was going to jinx Price for starting off strong and Drouin roofs it 16 seconds later to tie it...

1-1

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nice statement from Drouin on a deadly shot. The sort of thing a team captain ought to be doing.

Drouin has been the bright spot so far this season for sure.