Oct. 17, Habs vs Sharks, 10:30 PM

dlbalr

Galchenyuk played well today. 

This was another game that was closer than the end result. The Sharks did dominate us for periods of time but we had a few breakaways to make the game close and what's being overlooked amongst all the complaining is that Price was less than stellar on a few goals. 

Mete's first NHL point tonight. 

3 hours ago, nihilz said:

Morrow, Davidson & Benn just aren't cutting it. I want to see Jerabek & Lernout.

Davidson has played well.  Better than Lernout has shown. 

Davidson has actually impressed me since returning to the lineup. 

Morrow sucks. and Benn has earned his spot in the press box. 

Jerabek - Davidson would be good (and eventually schlemko in). 

Guest Stogey24

Let's see Pacioretty with Hemsky and Mitchell.

If Julien is going to play that game, then Pacioretty deserves some 4th line minutes  

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

This was another game that was closer than the end result. The Sharks did dominate us for periods of time but we had a few breakaways to make the game close and what's being overlooked amongst all the complaining is that Price was less than stellar on a few goals. 

I respectfully disagree with most of this. The score reflected the play. As for Galy, he showed signs of life, but watching him tentatively try his moves made me realize just how low his confidence level is.

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think it was the 20 shots in 2nd period that was not so good.

However, the new kid now has 5pts in 6 games.

I thought Hudon would finally get his first, he didn't but did manage 4 more shots.

And team managed a PPG. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

That is a very disturbing set of stats. While there *is* the fact that many of those games were lost because of the team quitting on Therrien, 50 games is a pretty sizeable sample. We're getting to the point where it's becoming possible to wonder if something deeper than just an occasional, inconvenient slump is at issue. This team was approaching Cup contender status in 2015. Now it's played 50 games with a record that, projected over a season, would make it a non-playoff team.

One thing that's happened was that Plekanec stopped being a top-6 C. This was predictable, but of course Brilliant Bergevin did nothing to plan for it. Two other things that happened were that the team removed both Subban and Markov from the lineup. Yes, yes, Weber is an excellent defenceman. But he is a less fully-rounded player than PK (that's right, read that again); maybe you can't remove that much puck-controlling mastery (Subban + Markov) from your lineup in today's speed-and-possession driven NHL without paying a price. The offence trailed off midway through 2016-17,  not too long after Weber's aberrant early-season goal-scoring explosion receded. And it hasn't recovered since.

As for all of this incredible Leadership that MB supposedly brought in, I challenge anyone to look at the results and NOT conclude that that was absolute and total bullsh*t all the way down the line.This team had more spirit and moxy and resilience three years ago BEFORE our Head Idiot started "fixing" it.

Guest Stogey24

We are not winning a cup with Bergevin. He doesn't know how to build a team team. They're nothing without Price standing on his head. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I respectfully disagree with most of this. The score reflected the play. As for Galy, he showed signs of life, but watching him tentatively try his moves made me realize just how low his confidence level is.

Hudon had a breakaway to make it 3-3 and Hemsky also had a breakaway which led to a penalty and could have put us within a goal. 

Price wasnt great on the Couture goal and Hertl's goal rolled in at 2 mph on a tip in that most goalies would have had in position. One of their goals also deflected in off two of our players. 

I'm not a fan of how we've been playing but that was a winnable game regardless of whether or not the score turned out to be indicative. 

49 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Hudon had a breakaway to make it 3-3 and Hemsky also had a breakaway which led to a penalty and could have put us within a goal. 

Price wasnt great on the Couture goal and Hertl's goal rolled in at 2 mph on a tip in that most goalies would have had in position. One of their goals also deflected in off two of our players. 

I'm not a fan of how we've been playing but that was a winnable game regardless of whether or not the score turned out to be indicative. 

Most of the Sharks goals were the result of their complete domination of the Habs' D around the slot. In other words, our guys could not manage them down low. That's why Price was endlessly screened and deflections were flying around like crazy. On the first goal, Price looked bad, but it was a total defensive breakdown.

Yes, the Habs had two breakaways...and failed to score on either.  Very rarely do you lose a game and not have any meaningful scoring chances. It's not as though Jones stood on his head. The point is, the Habs were overmatched for long stretches of the game, because the Sharks were simply the better team last night on a shift-in, shift-out basis. That's why I say the score reflected the play.

Let's see Pacioretty with Hemsky and Mitchell.

If Julien is going to play that game, then Pacioretty deserves some 4th line minutes  

Julien needs to pull him aside and read him the riot act prior to tonight's game, and if he goes out there and is the same useless bum that he was last night, absolutely demote him a line or two (or three).

Demote him now. 

Pacioretty and Drouin keep occupying the same ice. Neither really goes down the centre or to the right. It's clearly bad line setting.

Move Galchenyuk to with Drouin, either

Drouin - Galchenyuk - RW

Or

LW - Drouin - Galchenyuk 

Or

Drouin - C - Galchenyuk

That way there isn't two talented players playing in each others space. It also opens up Pacioretty to another line where he can do his thing. Put him back with Danault even. 

But Nah Bergevin and Julien can't allow Galchenyuk to make them look bad. 

16 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Demote him now. 

Pacioretty and Drouin keep occupying the same ice. Neither really goes down the centre or to the right. It's clearly bad line setting.

Move Galchenyuk to with Drouin, either

Drouin - Galchenyuk - RW

Or

LW - Drouin - Galchenyuk 

Or

Drouin - C - Galchenyuk

That way there isn't two talented players playing in each others space. It also opens up Pacioretty to another line where he can do his thing. Put him back with Danault even. 

But Nah Bergevin and Julien can't allow Galchenyuk to make them look bad. 

Actually, Pacioretty and Danault had some success last year. The move would be defensible on its own terms.

I don't know if Galy would work with Drouin, as both guys are players who tend to carry the puck, but it's worth a shot.

Guest Stogey24

Set Galchenyuk up on the right and let Drouin do the rest. The goals will come. 

Hudon-Drouin-Galchenyuk

Pacioretty-Danault-Lehkonen

De La rose-Plekanec-Gallagher

Mitchell-Shaw-Hemsky/ Byron

Flip the script here. Team needs a shake up 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Most of the Sharks goals were the result of their complete domination of the Habs' D around the slot. In other words, our guys could not manage them down low. That's why Price was endlessly screened and deflections were flying around like crazy. On the first goal, Price looked bad, but it was a total defensive breakdown.

Yes, the Habs had two breakaways...and failed to score on either.  Very rarely do you lose a game and not have any meaningful scoring chances. It's not as though Jones stood on his head. The point is, the Habs were overmatched for long stretches of the game, because the Sharks were simply the better team last night on a shift-in, shift-out basis. That's why I say the score reflected the play.

I agree but my only argument is that it was a winnable game. It wasn't that we just got chances, it was the timing of our chances. The Sharks are a fragile team as well.

I don't put much faith in Hudon's scoring at this point in time. He's similar to Andrighetto but cannot put the puck in the net (at least yet). 

I also do feel that Galchenyuk had his best game yesterday and his effort was there. He even got rewarded by playing some top line minutes. 

My main conplaints bout the game are that Price let in some softies. I guess you can say there was traffic but he had zero idea where Hertl's deflection was and perhaps Price's lack of last minute reflex type saves are something I have qualms about already. 

The main factor was our lack of discipline though and we took way too many penalties to win a game, though the Sharks took a bunch as well.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't know if Galy would work with Drouin, as both guys are players who tend to carry the puck, but it's worth a shot.

I see galchenyuk more as a shooter, let drouin set him up, it has not worked with Patch thus far.

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Hudon-Drouin-Galchenyuk

I like this configuration, id just switch Shaw and Plek or Shaw and DLR

Hudon-Drouin-Galchenyuk

I like this lineup, especially the top 2 lines.  If any juggling has to be done with those lines during the next 2 road games, I would only swap Hudon for Lehkonen and leave the other two pairs alone for the full game.  

The bottom 2 lines can be mixed up as much as the coach likes.  But to get the team scoring unstuck out of first gear, those 4 forwards need to play together period and left alone,  win or lose. 

To those who don't remember, and I know most of you do, Pacioretty scored in the first game against Buffalo. In addition, it was on a great setup from Drouin. I'm mainly mentioning it because I've seen things written like "he hasn't scored dating to last year's playoffs". 

The real point I'm trying to make is that the only game he scored this season coincided with our only win. Pacioretty is an important part of this team and we need to get him going, not punish him with tough love. For those who have gathered that Galchenyuk isn't responsive to tough love, I don't know what you've seen in Pacioretty that tells you he is the type to respond positvely to said treatment. 

My ideal first line would be 

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin although I know it won't happen, or is extremely unlikely to happen. 

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin

Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Shaw-De La Rose-Hemsky

I know Shaw isn't a left wing but you gotta do what you gotta do... or switch him with DLR