Bergevin......

REV-G

19 minutes ago, DON said:

Who did you piss off with all the downvotes?

Anyways, "not getting puck moving replacement for Markov" YET isn't helping; but again, the 3rd pairing's play is really hurting the team every game so far. Is Benn a slow starter? I really hope so and Jerabek or Vegas seem the best hope to bolster the d, barring shooting for a high paid high quality puck-mover.

1) I have an idea, there is one poster here who has been downvoting me 2-3 times per day every day since i called him out.  What a pathetic and petty little man.  But honestly I don't give a shit about my number, I only called him out cause he downvoted everyone in that thread, including you. 

2) The third pair has been a disaster.  The only one who has looked decent on that pair is Davidson. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think the lack of being able to skate with the puck is a problem, but its been over-inflated too. 

Let's face it.  Bergevin ####ed up in not getting puck moving replacement for Markov.  At this point, Mete is a god send to this team and an absolute saviour.  We don't realize how lucky we are that a 19 year old is saving our bacon in this area.  It should not have to be this way, but at this point he's playing like a first pairing puck mover.  He's not Markov on the Power Play, but he's been as good at ES as markov was last year, and thats heavy praise. 

On the second pair, Petry can move the puck.  He is inconsistent, but that's why he's a 2nd pair guy and not a first pair guy.  He's good in the role.  Looked great against the Leafs and the Kings, looked mediocre against the Sharks.  Still the second pair has a guy who can move the puck. 

The problem lies in the third pair.... Streit was a total failure.  Morrow can move the puck but he sucks at other aspects of the game. The team doesn't think Jerabek is ready (I disagree, but digress)... Schlemko could stabilize a pair with Davidson/Benn as the right D, but is hurt.  Here is the main issue on the defence right now IMO. 

Petry looked  great against the kings? He was giving Cammalleri a back massage in front of the net on one of his goals. He ended up being a -3 in that game.  Guy has been abaolute shit this year. His turn overs are finally being exposed with Price playing poorly. I've been saying it for ever 

Fun with +/-

The entire team was shit the last ten minutes. 

He was the team's best defenceman through the first 50 of that game... yes he got caught on late goals when the Habs were losing and trying to make something happen... i don't blame a d for extra pinches in the last 10 minutes when his team is desperate to tie the game. 

Its okay, its not like you have been anti-Petry before... 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Benn has been warranted this year. 

Petry, it is irrational hate IMO. 

Petry has been bad as often as he has been good....hate may be a bit strong, but a solid dislike would not be entirely irrational at this point.  Benn should be a pressbox reserve at this point.

Just now, sbhatt said:

Petry has been bad as often as he has been good....hate may be a bit strong, but a solid dislike would not be entirely irrational at this point

Petry is a second pair defenceman, paid like a second pair defenceman, who performs like a second pair defenceman (doesn't have the consistency to be a number 1). \

He is what he is.  He has some bad plays, but thats why he is not a #1. and makes 5.75 instead of 8.5

1 hour ago, sbhatt said:

It's time to fire the bastard....this is miserable to watch.

Sing it, brother

EDIT: next question. With whom do we replace MB? We won't be able to poach Brisebois mid-season. Roy is the obvious choice, and the one I expect Molson to make - and Roy will be the perfect choice for this organization, the contemporary equivalent of the Ballard Leafs. He was a complete disaster in Colorado and will probably be an even worse disaster here.

But let's imagine that the Habs are interested in making a bona fide, serious choice rather than a freak show. Who is out there? Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sing it, brother

EDIT: next question. With whom do we replace MB? We won't be able to poach Brisebois mid-season. Roy is the obvious choice, and the one I expect Molson to make - and Roy will be the perfect choice for this organization, the contemporary equivalent of the Ballard Leafs. He was a complete disaster in Colorado and will probably be an even worse disaster here.

But let's imagine that the Habs are interested in making a bona fide, serious choice rather than a freak show. Who is out there? Any thoughts?

Saku Koivu? Hehe

9 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Saku Koivu? Hehe

It may be irrational, but I would love this! :thumbs_up: Koivu just seems like the type - serious, intelligent, not an egomaniac, tends to excel at whatever he does - who could do it. But yeah, no experience, that could be a fly in the ointment.

I have no opinion on Quintal. A forgettable player, now associated with the most Orwellian of titles, i.e. NHL player safety. He'll have a good rolodex, maybe not much more than that. If that's what counts as meaningful managerial experience, hey, go with Koivu.

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For an in-season move, it wouldn't be shocking to see Larry Carriere take over on an interim basis.  (For those that don't know who he is, he has been an AGM with Montreal since 2010 and is Laval's GM currently as well.)  He'd probably be in the discussion on a full-time basis as well.  Pierre McGuire was a finalist the last time as well so he'd potentially be in the mix as terrifying as that sounds. 

Another name that comes to mind is Dave Poulin (former AGM in Toronto, current colour commentary guy for the Habs on TSN so he'd have some familiarity with the team).  I think he interviewed back when Bergevin was hired as well.  There are a few younger AGMs around the league but if there remains the bilingual requirement, that will rule most of them out right away.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For an in-season move, it wouldn't be shocking to see Larry Carriere take over on an interim basis.  (For those that don't know who he is, he has been an AGM with Montreal since 2010 and is Laval's GM currently as well.)  He'd probably be in the discussion on a full-time basis as well.  Pierre McGuire was a finalist the last time as well so he'd potentially be in the mix as terrifying as that sounds. 

Another name that comes to mind is Dave Poulin (former AGM in Toronto, current colour commentary guy for the Habs on TSN so he'd have some familiarity with the team).  I think he interviewed back when Bergevin was hired as well.  There are a few younger AGMs around the league but if there remains the bilingual requirement, that will rule most of them out right away.

On an interim basis? Rick Dudley could handle selling off players at the deadline, and he won't be looking to keep the job into the summer. 

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pierre McGuire was a finalist the last time as well so he'd potentially be in the mix as terrifying as that sounds. 

Some people seemed to very supportive of McGuire last time around and others were on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Why so terrifying?  Wasn't his last stint in any management role a long time ago? Could he not have learned more since then?

What are your thoughts on his scouting ability?

I don't understand what it is in McGuire's record that suggests that he is equipped to be a good GM. Apart from early success as an assistant coach with the Penguins, his track record was one of fairly non-stop failure in hockey. He has made a nice career for himself as an analyst, but that's increasingly been characterized by self-promotion rather than sober or intelligent analysis. He has zero experience since about 1993 with managing other people and much of that experience was poor. That leaves us with his character; perhaps, like Serge Savard, he is the type of person who exudes calm, managerial competence? I doubt it. There is good reason for concern that a team hiring him as GM is basically hiring him on the basis of blow-hard, non-stop self-promotion rather than sober assessment of his abilities. I'm sure he goes into an interview brimming with impressive levels of self-confidence and creating an impression of infallible knowledgability. He's the kind of guy that "has all the answers" and lets you know them with absolute certainty. But that kind of image-construction is not the same thing as actually being equipped to succeed, which requires such qualities as good judgement. The graveyards are full of organizations and corporations that handed the reins to such impressive confidence men. (Sears is the latest of these).

I would steer clear of egomaniacs in general. That way lies madness. And that rules out both Roy and McGuire.

54 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Some people seemed to very supportive of McGuire last time around and others were on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Why so terrifying?  Wasn't his last stint in any management role a long time ago? Could he not have learned more since then?

What are your thoughts on his scouting ability?

I appreciate the passion he has for the game and his attention to detail.  However, his arrogance is very concerning.  He speaks in absolutes (and is wrong quite a bit); to me, it seems he'd drastically reshape the team and then sit on it regardless of what happens with the mindset that he's done what he needs to.  As for scouting, he was sold on Nail Yakupov being the next great superstar and suggested that Edmonton should have demanded Subban and the #3 pick (Galchenyuk) if Montreal wanted to trade up.  Honestly, he seems to get sold on a lot of players as the next big thing.

He also hasn't worked in a front office in a very long time.  If I'm hiring a GM, I'd want someone who has been in some sort of administrative capacity recently, not someone who has only been in broadcasting for the last 20 years.

I hope Molson fires Bergevin before he attempts a job saving trade like Mete, Galchenyuk and a 2nd Rounder for Vermette, Beauchemin and a 6th, stating, "we need more character and veteran presence in the dressing room."

• Upvote 1