Bergevin......

REV-G

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We'll need a few more losses before it becomes a real possibility IMHO. It's almost at the point where I'm hoping for losses so the team will clean house.

I wouldn't be surprised if he stays all year regardless of our record.  Same issues year after year - we can't score, we need centres and puck moving Dmen it doesn't get addressed year after year. Not to mention that it is obvious to everyone except Molson that our prospect pool is at 0 and we are in real long term trouble.

Molson is inept or uninvolved and in either case he should be hiring a president to make some hockey decisions. 

30 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:

Don’t know if this deserves its own thread or not 

BUT

Who’s on the shortlist to replace MB? 

We can never have the best available GM because if he doesn't speak French he wont even get a interview. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Don’t know if this deserves its own thread or not 

BUT

Who’s on the shortlist to replace MB? 

I posed this question on the previous page. The answers we got were Stephane Quintal, or else Larry Carriere or Rick Dudley finishing out the year on an 'interim' basis before a proper summer search, which would clear the path for the obvious choice, Julien BriseBois.

Two other obvious - but almost certainly disastrous - choices would be Patrick Roy or Pierre McGuire.

I remain fondly attached to the scenario of Saku Koivu taking over, but recognize that this is fan fantasy. I still think that, based on how he conducted himself and his interviews over the years, he has the intelligence and the right temperment for the job, though.^_^

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

The choice should be Julien Brisebois. He ready for the gig and has the resume to back it up.

Agreed. That's why a 'caretaker' followed by a proper off-season search is the most rational way to go. Or else leave MB in place until April, while vetoing any major moves he proposes. Turn him into a eunuch before axing him.

2 hours ago, habsFan1986 said:

We can never have the best available GM because if he doesn't speak French he wont even get a interview. 

False..... Jim Nill doesn't speak french and turned down the job cause his wife had cancer. 

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

The choice should be Julien Brisebois. He ready for the gig and has the resume to back it up.

What is his resume in hockey analysis?

He was a tax lawyer, who was hired as a cap manager.  

He's worked for a good organization, but has never been a scout, never done the hockey analysis side of the job. 

I'm not sure his experience screams "GM".  In fact I'd rather not go with a rookie GM, just cause he is from a good organization.  Sounds like repeating the MB mistake and MB actually had scouting bonafides. 

Guest Stogey24
40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

What is his resume in hockey analysis?

He was a tax lawyer, who was hired as a cap manager.  

He's worked for a good organization, but has never been a scout, never done the hockey analysis side of the job. 

I'm not sure his experience screams "GM".  In fact I'd rather not go with a rookie GM, just cause he is from a good organization.  Sounds like repeating the MB mistake and MB actually had scouting bonafides. 

Oh, he didn't spend 9 years with the Habs and work his way up to V.P? 

He didn't turn The bulldogs back into a winning team or add a coach who ended up winning the Louis pieri award? 

He didn't go to Tampa and win a Calder with the Admirals? Or reach the final 3 seasons in a row, Or add another coach that once again won coach of the year. 

Over the first eleven seasons during which BriseBois oversaw an AHL team (Hamilton Bulldogs 2006-2007 to 2009-2010; Norfolk Admirals 2010-2011 to 2011-2012; Syracuse Crunch 2012-2013 to 2016-2017), his teams have reached the Calder Cup Finals four times with four different head coaches (Hamilton 2007 – Don Lever; Norfolk 2012 – Jon Cooper; Syracuse 2013 – Rob Zettler; Syracuse 2017 – Benoit Groulx). Also, his 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs reached Game 7 of the 2010 AHL Western Conference Final under the guidance of head coach Guy Boucher.

Nah, dude has no experience 

No

1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Oh, he didn't spend 9 years with the Habs and work his way up to V.P? 

He didn't turn The bulldogs back into a winning team or add a coach who ended up winning the Louis pieri award? 

He didn't go to Tampa and win a Calder with the Admirals? Or reach the final 3 seasons in a row, Or add another coach that once again won coach of the year. 

Over the first eleven seasons during which BriseBois oversaw an AHL team (Hamilton Bulldogs 2006-2007 to 2009-2010; Norfolk Admirals 2010-2011 to 2011-2012; Syracuse Crunch 2012-2013 to 2016-2017), his teams have reached the Calder Cup Finals four times with four different head coaches (Hamilton 2007 – Don Lever; Norfolk 2012 – Jon Cooper; Syracuse 2013 – Rob Zettler; Syracuse 2017 – Benoit Groulx). Also, his 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs reached Game 7 of the 2010 AHL Western Conference Final under the guidance of head coach Guy Boucher.

Nah, dude has no experience 

The NHL GM oversees AHL teams

They are full of prospects the team has drafted, and guys signed to two-way AHL/NHL deals. The NHL GM is hiring the AHL coach.  He is the guy deciding on who will be in charge of developing the prospects. Building an AHL team is not done by an assistant GM, even if they get the ceremonial title of GM of the AHL team in some cities. 

So no, I don't give him credit for what those AHL teams did.  Its not like being an OHL, or QMJHL GM where it is actually your team. 

Being the AHL GM is a paper pusher part of the title.  The NHL GM says, hey we have an injury.  We are calling up "x"... file the paperwork with the league please. 

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Commandant said:

No

The NHL GM oversees AHL teams

They are full of prospects the team has drafted, and guys signed to two-way AHL/NHL deals. The NHL GM is hiring the AHL coach.  He is the guy deciding on who will be in charge of developing the prospects. Building an AHL team is not done by an assistant GM, even if they get the ceremonial title of GM of the AHL team in some cities. 

So no, I don't give him credit for what those AHL teams did.  Its not like being an OHL, or QMJHL GM where it is actually your team. 

Being the AHL GM is a paper pusher part of the title.  The NHL GM says, hey we have an injury.  We are calling up "x"... file the paperwork with the league please. 

Ya, he had no part of any of those team's success. Your right 

This cross-puposes discussion gets to something I've been pondering lately, which is the appropriate background for a GM. 

The obvious thing is to hire a guy who has held various roles in successful organizations, or else recycle a past GM (like Nashville did with Poile, etc.).

Then again, some guys who seem to have gone through all the right apprenticeship - think Gauthier - were disasters. Meanwhile, Mike Gillis was a player agent. Serge Savard basically went from playing to GMing. Gainey went from coaching to GMing. Shanahan went from NHL head office. John Davidson went from playing and broadcasting right into the big chair. 

It just seems as though *character* (intelligence, ability to manage a team, etc.) counts for as much, or more, than apprenticeship per se. In that sense, a less than famous or obvious choice could turn out to be just the ticket.

Guest Stogey24

Honestly, I don't really care who the next g.m is. I just think we've seen enough of Beregvin to understand that he's not going to lead this team to a cup. 

Edited by Stogey24

45 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Honestly, I don't really care who the next g.m is. I just think we've seen enough of Beregvin to understand that he's not going to lead this team to a cup. 

I share your disappointment in Zoot Suit, but the next guy will be a big determinant of whether we build a bona-fide contender or waste another decade. So while I don't pretend certainty on who the best candidate is, I *certainly* care that he be an ace GM.

Bob macoun and Cox were ripping into MB today saying the Montreal Canadiens are now what the leafs were and they can’t see them having any hope for competing for the cup for a long long time. Basically they summed the team up as a bad team that Price masked the deficiencies of until this year, while MB kept making deals thinking he was a player away from being a true cup contender. 

They were critical of most of his moves and completely panned the Subban trade, the pick up of Shaw and the Drouin trade.

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I share your disappointment in Zoot Suit, but the next guy will be a big determinant of whether we build a bona-fide contender or waste another decade. So while I don't pretend certainty on who the best candidate is, I *certainly* care that he be an ace GM.

Is there such thing as an ace g.m without a job?

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Bob macoun and Cox were ripping into MB today saying the Montreal Canadiens are now what the leafs were and they can’t see them having any hope for competing for the cup for a long long time. Basically they summed the team up as a bad team that Price masked the deficiencies of until this year, while MB kept making deals thinking he was a player away from being a true cup contender. 

They were critical of most of his moves and completely panned the Subban trade, the pick up of Shaw and the Drouin trade.

Sounds about right. Nice to see the apparent reluctance of NHL insiders to criticize popular Old Boy Bergevin starting to crack. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Is there such thing as an ace g.m without a job?

Yeah, there is. By which I mean there are surely people out there who are not currently NHL GMs who would nonetheless excel at the position. There has to be more than 31 people capable of doing the job - especially when you consider that some of the existing office-holders are mediocre or just plain inept.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sounds about right. Nice to see the apparent reluctance of NHL insiders to criticize popular Old Boy Bergevin starting to crack. 

I wouldn't exactly qualify those two as NHL insiders.  Bob McCown is a long-time radio host and hockey isn't his speciality while Damien Cox is a Toronto Star writer who hasn't exactly hidden his disdain for Montreal over the years (there's a lot of bias at play there).

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, there is. By which I mean there are surely people out there who are not currently NHL GMs who would nonetheless excel at the position. There has to be more than 31 people capable of doing the job - especially when you consider that some of the existing office-holders are mediocre or just plain inept.

:huh:

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I wouldn't exactly qualify those two as NHL insiders.  Bob McCown is a long-time radio host and hockey isn't his speciality while Damien Cox is a Toronto Star writer who hasn't exactly hidden his disdain for Montreal over the years (there's a lot of bias at play there).

Yes, every Toronto based talking head, is not an expert nor insider nor objective, but when it sounds like they agree with the cynical views shared by some here, then they are quoted.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, every Toronto based talking head, is not an expert nor insider nor objective, but when it sounds like they agree with the cynical views shared by some here, then they are quoted.

Damien cox is as.big of a joke as steve simmons

I dont take him seriously on any team.  Not just montreal.