HABS @ KINGS, OCT 18

illWill

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The C is symbolic.  It actually means nothing. 

Twisting your words but if you're telling me it means nothing for a player to have the "C" stripped, I wouldn't be able to agree with you.

If it means something to have it stripped, then it means something to have it. The "C" means something, somewhere.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Twisting your words but if you're telling me it means nothing for a player to have the "C" stripped, I wouldn't be able to agree with you.

If it means something to have it stripped, then it means something to have it. The "C" means something, somewhere.

In this case, twist my words all you want.... strip it and it makes no difference... leave it on and it makes no difference. 

As fans we overanalyze where the letter is. 

Shea Weber is no less of a leader with an A on his sweater instead of the C.  He's still the same person, still has the same charisma and players still respect him the same way, C or Not. 

Max has always been a streaky scorer, was a streaky scorer with the A, is streaky as a C, and will be streaky without it.  He still does the same things as a leader now that he did before. 

Carey Price has no letter, cannot officially have a letter per NHL rules, and is still the number 1 leader of this team ahead of both Max and Weber. 

Leaders either have it internally or they don't.  Letters don't change that.  Leaders also lead, whether they have a letter or not, and the followers follow whether they have a letter or not. 

All of this C business is too much analysis for an issue that really doesn't effect the play on the ice.  Max has to get off more shots to start scoring again, and letter or not, thats the answer. 

37 minutes ago, Commandant said:

In this case, twist my words all you want.... strip it and it makes no difference... leave it on and it makes no difference. 

As fans we overanalyze where the letter is. 

Shea Weber is no less of a leader with an A on his sweater instead of the C.  He's still the same person, still has the same charisma and players still respect him the same way, C or Not. 

Max has always been a streaky scorer, was a streaky scorer with the A, is streaky as a C, and will be streaky without it.  He still does the same things as a leader now that he did before. 

Carey Price has no letter, cannot officially have a letter per NHL rules, and is still the number 1 leader of this team ahead of both Max and Weber. 

Leaders either have it internally or they don't.  Letters don't change that.  Leaders also lead, whether they have a letter or not, and the followers follow whether they have a letter or not. 

All of this C business is too much analysis for an issue that really doesn't effect the play on the ice.  Max has to get off more shots to start scoring again, and letter or not, thats the answer. 

So we hear from you, and rightly so, that Galchenyuk needs to be treated uniquely by the coach as a result of not being robot, and in this circumstance you expect the players to be robots? Do you actually expect there to me no emotional attachment to someone taking the Captaincy away from you? My fondest memory of a season as a child was the one and only season I was captain of the team. Sure, they're not children but it's still a slap in the face from the organization. Again, this is a circumstance where different people would handle the situation, or demotion, differently. Perhaps Pacioretty would handle it with class, or perhaps he would hold a grudge against the organization. I could envision Pacioretty specifically saying all the right things if it were to happen, but it doesn't mean there wouldn't be any emotion internally.

I understand your stance, and it's been discussed before, but the captaincy does mean something. You're looking at it through a narrow lense. Of course Weber should perform the exact same whether or not he has a C, but there is a reason some people would envision him as captain material while laughing at the prospect of giving the position to a player like Andrei Kostitsyn. The culture of a team can be different based on the choice of captain, and it's as simple as that. 

I don't expect the players to be robots. 

I expect that a little extra fabric on a jersey, doesn't change who a person is. 

Some people are natural leaders, some people are natural followers.  Price and Weber are natural leaders.  The fact they have no letter and an A respectively doesn't take away from the fact that they are leaders on the team, and does not make it any less likely for teammates to follow them, to take their words to heart, to lean on them and learn from them. 

The ceremonial aspect of the piece of fabric doesn't change the person.  It doesn't give someone traits they didn't have before... losing it doesn't take away traits they had previously either. 

And sure you might have a few days of emotion, but i don't expect it to have long term effects.