Called Up: Nikita Scherbak and Michael McCarron

Commandant

Habs had 22 men on the roster with Schlemko being moved back to IR on Friday (per cap friendly)

Not sure where they got an extra spot to call up two forwards, though I suspect we'll be hearing an announcement of Hemsky to IR given that he left the last game and didn't return for the 2nd or 3rd periods. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Hemsky is not an nhler anymore 

Like I said in he summer - Streit and Hemsky are all washed up.  The only ones who didn’t know it were the habs brass and the Pom Pom boys on this site, who thought he’d add to the offence and can play a 200 foot game.

We should have signed Jagr.  Despite missing training camp, and in fewer games he’s got more points than the worthless hemsky.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Hemsky is not an nhler anymore 

Hopefully one of kids can provide a spark. Wonder if 'showcasing' has anything to do with call ups?

Yes, sooner Hemsky is waived, sooner he hits scrap pile and we can move on with plan 'D'.

Guest Stogey24

I'm not going to lie, I thought he would bring some offense to this team. 

When he got leveled last game, it looked like he was just out for a leisurely stroll. I saw the hit coming from a mile away. It's funny because that was the second hit he took too, doing the exact same thing 

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Hopefully one of kids can provide a spark. Wonder if 'showcasing' has anything to do with call ups?

Yes, sooner Hemsky is waived, sooner he hits scrap pile and we can move on with plan 'D'.

I think MB is more like on plan "X" by now.

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I knew little of Hemsky, other than he often refused to shoot when in prime scoring areas, back when he played with Oilers.

All 5 of the Oilers fans I know hated him.  they said he was good in the year they went to the finals but was inconsistent since and also complaint about Hemsky not shooting more.  One of them said, that he probably wouldn't shoot on the PP even if the coach held a gun to his head.

32 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

All 5 of the Oilers fans I know hated him.  they said he was good in the year they went to the finals but was inconsistent since and also complaint about Hemsky not shooting more.  One of them said, that he probably wouldn't shoot on the PP even if the coach held a gun to his head.

Whatever Hemsky's demerits in his prime, the guy we're seeing out there is a different animal - showing absolutely nothing. Unlike Streit, who was pretty obviously washed up, Hemsky struck me as a signing that could potentially have yielded secondary offence, since he was injured most of last season and therefore flying under the radar. But nope, he's had the biscuit.

Guest Stogey24

Who's doing the scouting on these players? 

....Dwight King has one goal in 20 games in the KHL, another one of Bergevin's grade A pick ups

Have any of the offseason bargain pickups worked? I mean, it's a long list of D level washed up vets that Bergy has signed. Granted, none of them have hurt long term, but they might was well stop with the flyers on the older guys that can't play anymore.

Granted, I thought Hemsky might have something left as a top 9, but clearly not.

I don't think you guys are fully right on Hemsky. On one hand there have been a bunch of people who don't envision a skilled player like Galchenyuk to be deserving of 4th line minutes and yet here we have Hensley on the 4th line all season.

When it comes to Galchenyuk, this treatment is as a result of his relationship with the coach and yet when it's Hemsky, it has nothing to do with Claude placing a skilled based player on the 4th apparently.

Sure, Hemsky is not comparable to Galchenyuk at this point and Hemsky was also projected to be a 4th liner by some, but how can others have expected him to bring offense to this team if they also expect that he deserves to be a 4th line player?

Meanwhile players like Lehkonen have 0 goals, defensive defenseman Karl Alzner is our second leading scorer, and we expected Hemsky to bring more.

Hemsky can certainly not be depended on to carry a team and their offense but he can be a contributing player to a contending team. Our entire team lacked offense and in this case despite his 0 points, I don't think it's fair to single him out. He is capable of more and unlike Streit I expect we'll actually get to see it sooner rather than later, depending on his injury. 

I've watched him get about 4-5 breakaways including preseason and I watched him score on Price in warmup with some skill a few times.  Yes warmup, but his hands are still there. 

I was also there in person at the game he got nailed twice but I've never thought Hemsky was anything but a soft player. He's injury prone, and I agree with that, but that's been the case throughout much of his career. The Ducks are a physical team. Gallagher and a few others also got nailed. The point is he still has skill although he's obviously far from the player he was in Edmonton. 

If we're bringing him and Dwight King up in the same conversation, something is wrong. 

Hemsky hasn't been good so far. It doesn't mean he can't be. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Who's doing the scouting on these players? 

....Dwight King has one goal in 20 games in the KHL, another one of Bergevin's grade A pick ups

If Bergevin survives the season, the first thing he needs to do is firebomb the pro scouting wing of the organization. They're probably all his foxhole bum buddies, though, so I wouldn't count on it

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I've watched him get about 4-5 breakaways including preseason and I watched him score on Price in warmup with some skill a few times.  Yes warmup, but his hands are still there. 

I was also there in person at the game he got nailed twice but I've never thought Hemsky was anything but a soft player. He's injury prone, and I agree with that, but that's been the case throughout much of his career. The Ducks are a physical team. Gallagher and a few others also got nailed. The point is he still has skill although he's obviously far from the player he was in Edmonton. 

If we're bringing him and Dwight King up in the same conversation, something is wrong. 

Hemsky hasn't been good so far. It doesn't mean he can't be. 

Lol, scored on Price in warm up. Dude...

17 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Lol, scored on Price in warm up. Dude...

When you see the players in person it gives you a different perspective. I've read posts on here that Hemsky couldn't score if the net were empty and it's simply not true. 

I mention the warmup thing because it was a breakaway drill and he's also had a few similar opportunities in game situations already this year. He hasn't buried but he's more than capable of doing so. 

I was also supportive of giving Streit and Semin a chance so you can see my background on similar topics.

It's a completely vicious cycle though because these decisions have constantly been made after such short time periods.

No one was wrong in saying that Semin, Streit and Hemsky look washed up. The only hypocritical thing is that they are given little to no opportunity and are judged based on the tinyest of sample sizes as if they couldn't just be going through a slump of their own. 

We're 1-6-1 "but it's only been 8 games" and here we are saying someone isn't what we expected after only 8 games. Our whole team has sucked for the most part. It's not Ales Hemsky, it's the Montreal Canadiens. 

Guest Stogey24

Honestly, I never thought Semin was given a fair shake.

And you're right. It's tough to judge one player, when the entire has been  terrible  

6 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

And you're right. It's tough to judge one player, when the entire has been  terrible  

And Semin has done well since to prove your far fetched idea?

Weber, Mete, Alzner, Byron, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Hudon, Shaw have been terrible? Is a misleading and lazy scouting report. :rastapop:

Edited by DON
tone it down

6 hours ago, huzer said:

Have any of the offseason bargain pickups worked? I mean, it's a long list of D level washed up vets that Bergy has signed. Granted, none of them have hurt long term, but they might was well stop with the flyers on the older guys that can't play anymore.

Granted, I thought Hemsky might have something left as a top 9, but clearly not.

Paul Byron.

Dale Weise

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Hemsky's played less games than Semin, with less ice time, and basically the same results.

Just saying. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

When you see the players in person it gives you a different perspective. I've read posts on here that Hemsky couldn't score if the net were empty and it's simply not true. 

I mention the warmup thing because it was a breakaway drill and he's also had a few similar opportunities in game situations already this year. He hasn't buried but he's more than capable of doing so. 

I was also supportive of giving Streit and Semin a chance so you can see my background on similar topics.

It's a completely vicious cycle though because these decisions have constantly been made after such short time periods.

No one was wrong in saying that Semin, Streit and Hemsky look washed up. The only hypocritical thing is that they are given little to no opportunity and are judged based on the tinyest of sample sizes as if they couldn't just be going through a slump of their own. 

We're 1-6-1 "but it's only been 8 games" and here we are saying someone isn't what we expected after only 8 games. Our whole team has sucked for the most part. It's not Ales Hemsky, it's the Montreal Canadiens. 

Hemsky is not fitting on this team right now.  He's out of position a lot.  I'm not sure why that is... chemistry, not understanding Julien's system, or what that is. 

I see him move, and he can skate... but he's behind the play cause he is very slow to read the play and react and figure out where he's going. 

To me, that says he's not washed up.  His mind should be able to pick up the system in time, and then his feet will follow.   Its different from Semin and Streit to me, cause Semin and Streit couldn't skate.  When i see an old player who can't skate as fast anymore that tells me he's done.  I'm not seeing that in Hemsky. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hemsky's played less games than Semin, with less ice time, and basically the same results.

Just saying. 

What's your point

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hemsky is not fitting on this team right now.  He's out of position a lot.  I'm not sure why that is... chemistry, not understanding Julien's system, or what that is. 

I see him move, and he can skate... but he's behind the play cause he is very slow to read the play and react and figure out where he's going. 

To me, that says he's not washed up.  His mind should be able to pick up the system in time, and then his feet will follow.   Its different from Semin and Streit to me, cause Semin and Streit couldn't skate.  When i see an old player who can't skate as fast anymore that tells me he's done.  I'm not seeing that in Hemsky. 

He seemed to of helped zero, made numerous poor plays, has had PP time with no luck and toss in the soft penalties, I would just prefer to go with a younger player instead.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Interesting analysis. I hadn't really thought through that distinction between being slow to read the play, and just plain being slow - it does resolve a confusion I'd had about Hemsky, which was that he seems slow even though he might not actually skate slow. All that said, he lost me when he flubbed that breakaway a few games ago, showing absolutely nothing and barely causing the goalie any inconvenience. He just looks out of it. And if we cut him loose, I'm 99% sure he will not get any other offers.