Called Up: Nikita Scherbak and Michael McCarron

Commandant

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Interesting analysis. I hadn't really thought through that distinction between being slow to read the play, and just plain being slow - it does resolve a confusion I'd had about Hemsky, which was that he seems slow even though he might not actually skate slow. All that said, he lost me when he flubbed that breakaway a few games ago, showing absolutely nothing and barely causing the goalie any inconvenience. He just looks out of it. And if we cut him loose, I'm 99% sure he will not get any other offers.

He's gotta sit in the press box for a bit... see the game from above and what is happening.  He needs some coaching when his concussion is gone, but there might be something salvageable there. Or it could never come back. I don't know. 

But its not the skating, so its a good chance there might be a useful player if the coaching staff can unlock it.  He struggled when he first got to Dallas too, and then was much better after being benched and having a sit down with Lindy Ruff. 

Guest Stogey24
9 hours ago, Commandant said:

The point is you never thought Semin was given a fair shake, but in less ice time with similar production, you are convinced Hemsky's done. 

Hemsky looks like a child out there. I hold my breath when he has the puck because im just waiting for him to get de-railed. Sure enough.... he's now on the IR, along with his zero points and shitty penalties 

Semin was nothing special either. Just seemed like he was in Therrien dog house from the get go

-1's are fun to hand out eh. 

The weird thing is that, with Semin, I had the distinct impression that if he could just pot a couple he'd find his confidence and start producing. In no way has Hemsky given me that impression; he just looks bewildered and useless as a second butt-crack. So my 'gut' reaction to these two players is/was the opposite of Commandant's - but I freely concede these are just impressions, not the result of careful analysis.

Guest Stogey24
26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The weird thing is that, with Semin, I had the distinct impression that if he could just pot a couple he'd find his confidence and start producing. In no way has Hemsky given me that impression; he just looks bewildered and useless as a second butt-crack. So my 'gut' reaction to these two players is/was the opposite of Commandant's - but I freely concede these are just impressions, not the result of careful analysis.

Both were patches. The chances of either accomplishing anything was minimal.

Hemsky was chasing the play 90% of the time he was out there. It's the reason he took so many hooking and slashing penalties. 

I had a post last night that I never finished up stating that the main negative thing that could be a criticism of Hemsky this season was something that was also an outlier compared to the rest of his career, his penalties. He's well above his average in that area. 

Last year, after he came back from injury he played 15 games and had 0 penalty minutes. The year before, he played close to a calendar year and barely got any penalties.

I understand the line of thinking whereby stick penalties are often lazy penalties, but they've also coincided with the new rules this season where any stickwork to the hands is an automatic penalty. Unless he doesn't adjust to this, like say, Plekanec would have had to, I don't see his penalties keeping up this season. The main seasons he got a lot of penalties were actually during his prime in Edmonton.

Hemsky can be a complimentary piece once again in my opinion but the question is who is he supposed to compliment? The way the coach has things down, Lehkonen is higher on the depth chart than him for the position, even though he's arguably a left winger and Shaw is as well. I agree that he won't see much offense playing with players like Mitchell, De La Rose and McCaron.

14 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Hemsky looks like a child out there. I hold my breath when he has the puck because im just waiting for him to get de-railed. Sure enough.... he's now on the IR, along with his zero points and shitty penalties 

Semin was nothing special either. Just seemed like he was in Therrien dog house from the get go

-1's are fun to hand out eh. 

How many have been handed out to me this week? And in this thread.

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, Commandant said:

How many have you handed out to me this week? And in this thread.

Don't throw stones at me, and then cry about it when i return the favor.   You've done it 3 times in this thread alone so don't cry about one back.

Lol, I wasn't even directing that at you; and I haven't given a -1 out in  years. I use my words ;)

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Lol, I wasn't even directing that at you; and I haven't given a -1 out in  years. I use my words ;)

Someone is being a dick hitting me over and over and over again... and in this thread they were all disagreeing with you... but if you say it isn't, i believe you.  I was at 620 like a week ago... I believe you though, so Take a +

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Someone is being a dick hitting me over and over and over again... and in this thread they were all disagreeing with you... but if you say it isn't, i believe you.  I was at 620 like a week ago... I believe you though, so Take a +

That's why I said it. I knew you were getting it like crazy, as was i 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else think that maybe Scherbak is finally coming into his own? 15 points in only 9 games is pretty impressive. I like this kid and I have high hopes for him...I just hope the Habs won't ###### him up like they've done with Chucky. When a player seems to have alot of offensive upside, sometimes it's not a bad idea to just let them play instead of cramming "defense first" thoughts into their head!

33 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Anyone else think that maybe Scherbak is finally coming into his own? 15 points in only 9 games is pretty impressive. I like this kid and I have high hopes for him...I just hope the Habs won't ###### him up like they've done with Chucky. When a player seems to have alot of offensive upside, sometimes it's not a bad idea to just let them play instead of cramming "defense first" thoughts into their head!

I'm with you, but it won't happen. NHL coaches today systematically discount offensive skill in their constipated obssession with preventing mistakes - as evidenced by the fact that one-dimensional *defensive* players are always praised as somehow 'complete' or '200-foot' players, while a one-dimensional 30-goal scorer rides the pine or gets dumped on the 4th line as a 'liability.'

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm with you, but it won't happen. NHL coaches today systematically discount offensive skill in their constipated obssession with preventing mistakes - as evidenced by the fact that one-dimensional *defensive* players are always praised as somehow 'complete' or '200-foot' players, while a one-dimensional 30-goal scorer rides the pine or gets dumped on the 4th line as a 'liability.'

Or becomes a #1 LWer scoring over 30g every year but most fans still crap on him endlessly for not being a complete player.

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Only said player has always scored more when played at centre than at the wing. 

Production this season, just continues to confirm that. 

Pacioretty plays centre?

You imbibing already counselor?:D

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Only said player has always scored more when played at centre than at the wing. 

Production this season, just continues to confirm that. 

I had the impression he was talking about Pacioretty.

As for Scherbak, I’m hopeful of good things but will have to see it to believe it from him on a consistent basis. He has looked a little better this year but still don’t want to have too high expectations from him. 

15 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I had the impression he was talking about Pacioretty.

As for Scherbak, I’m hopeful of good things but will have to see it to believe it from him on a consistent basis. He has looked a little better this year but still don’t want to have too high expectations from him. 

From what little I have seen of him, when he (most NHLers I guess) is active, seems confident and aggressive he does well. But, can he consistently 'bring it' every shift?

49 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I would trade any NHL right winger, including a prospect like Sherbak, right now for a decent upgrade on defence. 

Gallagher would bring a good return, Scherbak don't think so and would like to see he and Galchenyuk play a few games together.